Nicotine (not tobacco) during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey mamas,

I'm currently using nicotine in the form of an e-cig to control my Ulcerative Colitis (an inflammatory bowel disease).  I've been using it for a little over a year with my doctor's approval.  This is the only thing that has had a significant impact on my symptoms.  I'm also on one prescription med as well as a diet that works for me (created by myself after MUCH food journaling).  Neither of those things ever made a huge difference, but I stick with them.

I really have no way of knowing how much nicotine I'm getting, I just use it throughout the day.  Don't know how much it would compare to in terms of number of cigarettes or anything like that.

After I had been using it for about 8 weeks or so, I tried to taper down to a lower dose and symptoms returned.

It's possible that more healing has taken place in the last year, so I'll be trying to taper down again and see what happens.

I've run across a few nicotine studies with results saying things along the lines of nicotine replacement being better than cigs in regards to premature birth, low birth weight etc., but I'm also concerned with studies (in rats) that show a direct link to the offspring of the nicotine-exposed mother having issues with glucose and having fewer pancreas cells.  And, I can't find it any more, but is there also a link to nicotine and an increased risk of the placenta detaching?  

On the flip side, if I cut back or quit and my symptoms return, there are also risks if I were to have a flare up while pregnant, the chance that going back on the nicotine may not get me out of the flare, and if that were to happen the stronger prescription drugs are much worse than nicotine.

I'm not pregnant yet, but figured this would be the best place to post since my main concern would be use during a future pregnancy.

Any thoughts?  Any studies you know of that are NOT related to actual smoking or tobacco use?  

thanks!

winner.jpgfamilybed2.gifsewmachine.gifcd.gif Homeschooling, happy, messy-housed mama to my 2 wild boys fencing.gif 10/05 and 9/08, and my sweet little girl babygirl.gif 2/13 and blessed to be married to the best guy for me since 12/96.
#2 of 8 Old 05-02-2012, 07:07 AM

Odinsmom -

I also have UC and have been very interested in trying the e-cig to help with "mini-flares" - also looking to start a family via IVF this year so this thread is right on time.

I'm new to this forum so don't want to step on protocol by filling up this thread on the "I'm pregnant" tab

I'd like to hear more details about your e-cig use: did you smoke previously (sometimes previous smokers who quit develop colitis, and then starting smoking again resolves it.....but non smokers don't seem to get the same benefit).   Do you puff on one cig all day, etc?

Thanks!

#3 of 8 Old 05-02-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

I'm running to get out of the house right now but I'll send you a PM later or tomorrow with e-cig info and my experience with it so far.  In the mean time, and if you haven't already, check out the UC forum at www.healingwell.com and use the google search to find posts about the e-cig use in the folks over there.  Many of us have had success, but we all stay on it.  Gotta go!  more later.  :)

winner.jpgfamilybed2.gifsewmachine.gifcd.gif Homeschooling, happy, messy-housed mama to my 2 wild boys fencing.gif 10/05 and 9/08, and my sweet little girl babygirl.gif 2/13 and blessed to be married to the best guy for me since 12/96.
#4 of 8 Old 05-02-2012, 04:30 PM

Yep - i check out healingwell once in a while too. Thanks!
#5 of 8 Old 05-02-2012, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Message Deleted
#6 of 8 Old 05-03-2012, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

www.safefetus.com says:

• Intravenous administration of nicotine to pregnant animals resulted in decreased uterine blood flow, fetal hypotension, hypercabnia and acidosis.
  • Maternal toxic doses are teratogenic in some animals.
  • Cigarette smoking in pregnancy can cause lowbirth weight, increased abortion rate and perinatal mortality, so nicotine replacement therapy is not recommended during pregnancy

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#7 of 8 Old 05-05-2012, 02:05 PM

Studies out last month show....Nicotine Promotes Cardiovascular Disease, Benefits of Smoke-Free Products Questioned http://www.medicaldaily.com/news/20120223/9169/cigarette-smoke-nicotine-cardiovascular-disease-benefits-smoke-free-products.htm

Brown Researchers Find New Dangers in Nicotine http://www.golocalprov.com/health/21207/

#8 of 8 Old 05-12-2012, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the replies! For some reason I didn't get notified about responses and didn't check until today. I'm definitely planning to be off it during a possible future pregnancy. Already down to half my normal dose and, so far, my symptoms related to colitis haven't gotten worse.

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page