TMI on facebook. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 05-03-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone else get creeped out by people who announce their cervical progression on facebook? I just read a friends status, and she said she was 1cm dialated, 50% thinned and baby is low. She is due May 15th, and the doctor told her that baby would be here before then, definitely. Uh, whatever. It really grosses me out that people feel the need to share their cervix with their facebook world. I think sharing here is a little different, because we are ALL pregnant, lol. just too much for me!

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#2 of 41 Old 05-03-2012, 03:01 PM

I hear ya, I was super hesitant to post a sonogram pic, that's about where my limit is.  Question about your siggy- do Luthor and Ferdinand have any friends who would like to live under a new couch?  

#3 of 41 Old 05-03-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

winky.gif Sonogram pics are different, IMO. That's the baby, and it's all cutesy. But seriously, do we really need to know the progression in your nether regions? lol. I just don't understand. When I'm not pregnant, I just want to post vague statuses about the state of my vagina.yikes2.gif

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#4 of 41 Old 05-03-2012, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Uh, yeah...just what my brother or male cousins or anyone else needs to hear. Eck. I have a pic of the ultrasound and some cute diaper fluff. If I put up anything about our birth it will be 'headed to the hospital' followed by 'she's here'.

#5 of 41 Old 05-03-2012, 03:33 PM

Yeah, I really don't want to know about my friend's cervix situation. Definitely TMI.

Mom to DD1 reading.gif (11) & DD2 shine.gif homebirth.jpg(7) & DS babyboy.gif  h20homebirth.gif (9/10/12)

#6 of 41 Old 05-03-2012, 04:04 PM

Did she give CM updates when she was TTC?

" EWCM!! yippee Time to hit the sheets!"

yuck....

cynthiamoon likes this.

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#7 of 41 Old 05-03-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnegansmom View Post

yuck....

lol.gif

Mom to DD1 reading.gif (11) & DD2 shine.gif homebirth.jpg(7) & DS babyboy.gif  h20homebirth.gif (9/10/12)

#8 of 41 Old 05-03-2012, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnegansmom View Post

yuck....

biglaugh.gif

#9 of 41 Old 05-03-2012, 06:15 PM

I'm queen of uncomfortable TMI moon.gif

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#10 of 41 Old 05-04-2012, 12:59 PM

HAha, that's not info I would really share, but I don't really do "checks" and stuff when I'm pre/in labor, so I would HAVE the info TO share.

HAhahah, but if someone else wants to share about their cervix, it doesn't gross me out at all!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#11 of 41 Old 05-04-2012, 02:46 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think sharing the info is kind of weird but my immediate reaction is her doctor is an idiot. Dilation/cervical thinning is totally meaningless in terms of when she is going to go into labor.

And one of the many reasons why I am not on Facebook is that I would probably respond with that information.

#12 of 41 Old 05-05-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

I think sharing the info is kind of weird but my immediate reaction is her doctor is an idiot. Dilation/cervical thinning is totally meaningless in terms of when she is going to go into labor.

And one of the many reasons why I am not on Facebook is that I would probably respond with that information.

I totally agree. Even my dh said her doctor shouldn't be doing cervical exams, especially if she isn't even in labor yet, and it was just going to get her hopes up for an early delivery. Although her whole pregnancy has been super duper medicalized....she has already been told she will not go over 39 weeks because of GD. I don't even bother anymore. I have tried to inform several mothers in a gentle way, and no matter what I say, it always ends up as me attacking them! And of course, I have no medical background, so I have no idea what I am talking about.

#13 of 41 Old 05-05-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroodyWoodsgal View Post

HAha, that's not info I would really share, but I don't really do "checks" and stuff when I'm pre/in labor, so I would HAVE the info TO share.

HAhahah, but if someone else wants to share about their cervix, it doesn't gross me out at all!

truedat.gif

Yeah, it doesn't gross me out at all...more like mildly entertaining, but I have an odd and often highly inappropriate concept of humor lol.gif

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

#14 of 41 Old 05-05-2012, 05:19 PM

I am bothered by it too.  Even from family members.  That stuff is private, why post it?  I cringe when I see that.  My SIL really crossed the line for her first baby- weekly belly pictures, status updates from her vagina, in labor updates, weekly postings about how she loved her baby already in the womb, and then it was like atleast twice weekly bitching about how uncorfortable she was near the end.  I just had to hide her, it was getting to be too much.

#15 of 41 Old 05-05-2012, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I've had friends post step-by-step from the delivery room....from water breaking, to being induced, to rate of contractions!  It's not so much about TMI at that point - how about put the damn phone down!!  DH is a bit phone obsessed and after posting a picture of me in early labor I took his phone away ;-) 

#16 of 41 Old 05-05-2012, 08:32 PM

I wouldn't do it, but no, I don't consider it TMI. I think it's pretty unhealthy the way our society acts like these are supposed to be hidden, secret things, actually. So no, nothing wrong with it.

rubidoux, jess_paez and hyde like this.
#17 of 41 Old 05-05-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post

I wouldn't do it, but no, I don't consider it TMI. I think it's pretty unhealthy the way our society acts like these are supposed to be hidden, secret things, actually. So no, nothing wrong with it.

Yeah, I'm kind of confused about why people are bothered by it. I mean, I don't want to look into my second cousin-in-law's vagina to see how dilated she is, but I've got no problem with the info if she feels like mentioning it.

jess_paez likes this.
#18 of 41 Old 05-05-2012, 09:42 PM

I'm really surprised that ladies here are grossed out by a post like that. Maybe she doesn't have a place like MDC to post things like that the way we do. If things about women make men uncomfortable they should grow up and get real. Being a woman is about ovarian cysts and group b strep and yeast.....and tampons and cervical mucous and shall I go on. We put up with tons and sparing them isn't high on my priority list. I'm glad that she is excited and not realizing she got crappy info from a so called medical professional. I can't wait until she has bloody show or a stringy mucous plug to post about. Please keep us updated, I'd love to be excited for her!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#19 of 41 Old 05-07-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

I'm really surprised that ladies here are grossed out by a post like that. Maybe she doesn't have a place like MDC to post things like that the way we do. If things about women make men uncomfortable they should grow up and get real. ... We put up with tons and sparing them isn't high on my priority list.

LOLOL! This is what I always think too. I don't personally think the dilation thing is "TMI," though to each their own; I also agree that the pregnancy update overload on the part of some friends can get a little annoying, and I can see where it would be weird to think about your family members getting an update on your cervix. For those reasons I would probably refrain from those kinds of updates myself. But for all that, in general I am super unconcerned about men being traumatized by specifics about the female body. It just seems completely unreasonable to me. (Fortunately for me, my husband grew up with two older sisters and a mom who is a nurse, so he has zero hangups about this kind of thing.)

Anyway, they always seem to conveniently get over being icked out during the TTC part...

Jennifer (35) read.gif jog.gif , DH (36) reading.gifbikenew.gif, and baby makes three: Welcome DD Evelyn, 7/16/12! baby.gif

Missing our beloved "soul mate kitty" rainbow1284.gifflowerkitty.gif (RIP 8/19/11) but enjoying our two new kitty-girls.

#20 of 41 Old 05-07-2012, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

I'm really surprised that ladies here are grossed out by a post like that. Maybe she doesn't have a place like MDC to post things like that the way we do. If things about women make men uncomfortable they should grow up and get real. Being a woman is about ovarian cysts and group b strep and yeast.....and tampons and cervical mucous and shall I go on. We put up with tons and sparing them isn't high on my priority list. I'm glad that she is excited and not realizing she got crappy info from a so called medical professional. I can't wait until she has bloody show or a stringy mucous plug to post about. Please keep us updated, I'd love to be excited for her!

For me it's not an issue about "women's issues" or "growing up and getting real" but the fact that more and more in our society everything (and I mean everything) needs to be displayed on the internet for everyone to see.  I would object to a male detailing his bowel movements on Facebook, and that's just as natural as a woman giving birth.  I don't want to hear about people's tampons, yeast, ovarian, cysts, etc., just like I don't want to hear about men's erectile dysfunction or urination schedules.  This isn't about shaming women's bodies and abilities, it's about carving out (or trying to re-create) a place where private functions remain private.  I've shared 20 week ultrasound pictures that look like a baby, but I won't be posting genital shots and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.  I think our society has generally moved toward a no-limits approach to information and I and many other women on this board, apparently, do not see this as a positive trend.  Ultimately, it's different strokes for different folks, but if you post about your cervical mucus on my Facebook wall, I'm unfriending you because it indicates that we don't share the same values.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012.  Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013.
#21 of 41 Old 05-07-2012, 01:43 PM

It doesn't bother me.  But I come from that generation that puts it all out there, so I am probably just used to it.  As I get older, I get more private and post less personal things online.  However, what others feel like sharing...just doesn't bother me much.  I even kind of like rooting on woman and babies when they post about their cervical progression lol.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#22 of 41 Old 05-07-2012, 04:33 PM

This is my third pregnancy and with my first two, I didn't have Facebook at my fingertips (plus it was before everyone had a FB account). I would, however send text messages to certain people (mainly my three sisters and MIL- all BTDT just to keep them updated) with whatever dilation/effacement etc my care provider shared with me. This time around, I don't plan on getting checked before labor, so I won't have that "info". But for me, I'm so interested in birth, I don't care if I read it from someone else on FB. I'm not fazed at all. I just had a friend who gave birth a little more than a month ago, and she posted updates while she was in labor (not like regular ones- she mostly stayed off of FB)- but other people were interested to know too. But I can see why some would be uncomfortable reading all the gory details. Lol! I don't think most people make the connection that it's info received from one's cervix that they wouldn't otherwise share.

#23 of 41 Old 05-07-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyTiger View Post

For me it's not an issue about "women's issues" or "growing up and getting real" but the fact that more and more in our society everything (and I mean everything) needs to be displayed on the internet for everyone to see.  I would object to a male detailing his bowel movements on Facebook, and that's just as natural as a woman giving birth.  I don't want to hear about people's tampons, yeast, ovarian, cysts, etc., just like I don't want to hear about men's erectile dysfunction or urination schedules.  This isn't about shaming women's bodies and abilities, it's about carving out (or trying to re-create) a place where private functions remain private.  I've shared 20 week ultrasound pictures that look like a baby, but I won't be posting genital shots and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.  I think our society has generally moved toward a no-limits approach to information and I and many other women on this board, apparently, do not see this as a positive trend.  Ultimately, it's different strokes for different folks, but if you post about your cervical mucus on my Facebook wall, I'm unfriending you because it indicates that we don't share the same values.

How very "different strokes for different folks" of you. lol The attitude that you can't be friends with someone because she says something that you don't like suggests that you don't actually believe that line AT ALL. I'm very amused by seeing someone use that line in the same paragraph in which she shared that she'd unfriend someone over something so minor. Sure, I'd never tell anyone about my CM on facebook, but unfriending someone over it is pretty much the exact opposite of the entire idea of "different strokes for different folks". That line is about accepting differences. Unfriending people for saying things you find too private is about NOT accepting differences.

And for the record, I'm really sick and tired of giving birth being compared to taking a dump. I mean, really. My baby is not a piece of crap.

#24 of 41 Old 05-07-2012, 09:47 PM

Exactly! When I read that I laughed and then wondered if she's blocked me on MDC ?!

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

#25 of 41 Old 05-07-2012, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

eh.  I don't care if someone wants to tell me and all their facebook friends about their dilation.  I only get annoyed when other people then assume that everyone wants to share that information and they start asking me about my cervix. 

Just1More and DoubleDouble like this.

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#26 of 41 Old 05-09-2012, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Plummetting, the two positions I laid out are actually perfectly compatible.  I don't care that there are people out there who post about their cervical mucus or who overshare pictures of their dogs, but I don't have to be friends with them on a social networking site.  I can support people's rights to do whatever thing I might find objectionable, but I don't have to agree with it in my own life and I don't have to welcome them into my life as a friend.  Now the issue of oversharing is usually a pretty minor one, but it can become a serious distraction.  I have friends who post constant baby pictures and so on, which is fine because I like looking at them, but I have unfriended or hid people from my wall who post constant affirmations or who constantly bombard me with political opinions.  I would certainly do the same for constant cervix updates.

The idea that I can support the existence of other value systems and ideas apart from my own does not necessarily mean I have to be friends with everyone regardless of their beliefs or values.  If you truly believed that you can be friends with people regardless of their beliefs and values, I would be very concerned about your definition of friendship.  (And finally, there's a distinction here between "unfriending" someone on a social networking site and actually not being friends with them.... I was merely speaking of the former)

What I was really arguing for is carving out a sphere of privacy.... When I come to MDC, I expect people to be talking about mucus plugs and bloody show and everything else related to pregnancy and I welcome it and take part in the conversation.  I don't need that kind of information on my Facebook wall.  So a lot of this is context-dependent.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012.  Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013.
#27 of 41 Old 05-09-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyTiger View Post

Plummetting, the two positions I laid out are actually perfectly compatible.  I don't care that there are people out there who post about their cervical mucus or who overshare pictures of their dogs, but I don't have to be friends with them on a social networking site.  I can support people's rights to do whatever thing I might find objectionable, but I don't have to agree with it in my own life and I don't have to welcome them into my life as a friend.  Now the issue of oversharing is usually a pretty minor one, but it can become a serious distraction.  I have friends who post constant baby pictures and so on, which is fine because I like looking at them, but I have unfriended or hid people from my wall who post constant affirmations or who constantly bombard me with political opinions.  I would certainly do the same for constant cervix updates.

The idea that I can support the existence of other value systems and ideas apart from my own does not necessarily mean I have to be friends with everyone regardless of their beliefs or values.  If you truly believed that you can be friends with people regardless of their beliefs and values, I would be very concerned about your definition of friendship.  (And finally, there's a distinction here between "unfriending" someone on a social networking site and actually not being friends with them.... I was merely speaking of the former)

What I was really arguing for is carving out a sphere of privacy.... When I come to MDC, I expect people to be talking about mucus plugs and bloody show and everything else related to pregnancy and I welcome it and take part in the conversation.  I don't need that kind of information on my Facebook wall.  So a lot of this is context-dependent.

Re: bolded: Yeah but "cervix updates" wouldn't really be constant, right? I mean, whatever floats your boat and all...but cervical dilation and accompanying "updates" would be a pretty time-limited, event specific thing, right?

I think it's also very important to note that when a woman way overshares (in your view) about something relating to her body during pregnancy, it is out of sheer excitement! We all know how easy it is to become lost in the excitement and joy of FINALLY dilating, FINALLY being so close to meeting your new baby....

Certainly if a woman has been annoying the crap out of you for a long time and then starts posting things that you are think are "yucky" or whatever when she's getting close to her birthing time..yeah, pull the plug on that FB "friendship" for sure. But I have a hard time believing anyone would actually be so offended by that  - "Wooohooo, I'm 3 cm dilated and losing mucus plug!" - that they would actually defriend. That just seems a little, weird.

Your choice, again, you have to be comfortable with what's on your wall...but is it really that gross to you? What if somebody posts "Oh my god my sinus infection is so bad I think I'm going to die...the amount of snot in my face ACTUALLY feels like it's killing me" - I mean, that sounds WAY more gross than "my cervix, hoorah!" - would you defriend the "Snot Oversharer" - or is it just because the cervix is located in the (shhhh!) VAGINA! (eek!) that it is so intensely improper to you?

It's excitement, people. Most people who would post something about their cervix in sheer excitement and baby-joy, are people who would NEVER talk about their lady parts on FB normally. I, for one, would say "good riddance" to a "friend" who would cease internet communication with me over my excited declaration that after nearly a year of waiting, my body is showing signs of being close to ready to bring my beautiful child into the world.

Maybe me being almost 37 weeks pregnant and dwelling in that place of ACUTE obsession over when I'm finally going to meet my baby I've been so patiently waiting for just makes me a bit more sympathetic to the "cervical overshare"??

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#28 of 41 Old 05-09-2012, 11:32 AM

I'm so dang happy that my friends aren't squeamish, that they're all women who are comfortable with and knowledgeable about the human body. I'd be thrilled to be FB dumped over cervical breaking news because it means that person ain't for me any more than I am for them. 

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#29 of 41 Old 05-09-2012, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I'd be fine with it, as I was with my neighbor telling me about her daughter's (slightly preterm) progress. But then again I studied so much when I was pregnant, have an intense interest in birth, and hope to become a midwife after my kids go to school. But I would gently chime in about how it doesn't actually predict when labor will start but may mean a faster early phase of labor when things do get going (or in her case better chance of induction working if they decide on it).

#30 of 41 Old 05-09-2012, 03:11 PM

Me too.  I'm not weirded about the birthing process and sharing it, but the telling the whole world is a bit much.  I'll certainly keep my mom and mom-in-law appraised but pretty much no one else.  I did however post on FB my sonogram of my 7 week old, I was so freakin' over the moon that she had a heartbeat and was there and alive and well!!!  So maybe I shouldn't complain about others on FB. orngtongue.gif

Catherine & Baby Vee
Mama to Vinayak {8/2007} & Married to Sridhar {11/2001}

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page