Fish oil? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-03-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What are your thoughts on taking a fish oil supplement during pregnancy? I usually love fish, but haven't been able to take the smell. I'm 10 weeks pg, if that makes a difference. 

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#2 of 7 Old 05-03-2012, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I took fish oil supplements all throughout this pregnancy (I'm at 26 weeks).  Some prenatals like the gummies have DHA in them, but I really like taking extra fish oil.  It's super important for baby's brain development (as well as lots of other things).  Just make sure you get it from a reputable brand that does third party testing so you're not getting a dose of mercury at the same time. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#3 of 7 Old 05-03-2012, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

My prenatals have it in them. Nutrition Now Gummies from Whole Foods. Babies R Us has the exact same one under a different brand name. No fishy smell at all. I have also used some Nordic Naturals oil and it was fine going down but it got spilled and took several washes to get the smell out, which was pretty nasty.

#4 of 7 Old 05-04-2012, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Fish oil is great for your fetus. I am not one to take supplements unless they have some proven benefit, and fish oil does. Personally, I don't like much fish, and with the restrictions on which fish you should eat during pregnancy due to mercury content (as well as general environmental concerns about how the fish are caught), it can be hard to get enough of the ones high in omega-3s.

I have been taking these for a while: http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-mega-efa-omega-3-epa-dha-fish-oil-2-126-mg-per-serving-240-softgels I did some research at the time I ordered them, and they seemed like a good value. I think the thing that sold me on them was that I read that you want a supplement with lots of EPA, not just DHA. I am by no means an expert, but I know not all fish oils are created equal. I found this article when researching what to look for: http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/articles/2009/04/08/fish-oil-supplements-epa-dha-and-ala-does-your-omega-3-source-matter

You want to make sure you buy a reputable brand that does not contain mercury or other toxins.

I am thinking of trying these this time: http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-norwegian-salmon-oil-100-wild-caught I have also read that you want to make sure the oil comes from all wild-caught fish, as the crap they feed farmed fish can ruin the nutritional value.

By the way, I have read that if your pills seem too fishy, they are probably rancid. You might want to store them in your fridge. The ones I have been taking have an artificial strawberry flavor that I do not love, but at least I never get burps that smell like fish. Taking them with food covers up any unpleasant flavor.

#5 of 7 Old 05-04-2012, 05:43 PM
kel

I started a thread on this, too, plus vitamin D3.

I'm starting to take these: http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Products/Product_Details/514/?ProdID=1646  I've heard a lot of good stuff about Nordic Naturals and have used them with my kids before, too.  I think Nordic is what both naturopaths that I've had have recommended as well. 

If you didn't see my thread, scroll down a little and check it out - I have a link to a brief article about the benefits of dha. 

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#6 of 7 Old 05-05-2012, 12:29 PM

I took fish oil pill in my first pregnancy but have decided this time that it's a better bet to eat wild salmon twice a week.  Many of the studies that have shown benefits were with real fish, and some studies have shown no benefit from pills.

#7 of 7 Old 05-07-2012, 07:28 PM

I took fish oil when pg withdd and am again this time. As someone already me toned, it's great for brain development (DD's very smart...could be a coincidence, but I don't think the fish oil hurt). Fish oil is also very good for the skin, and I credit it with being the reason that I didn't get any stretch marks...that was certainly not genetics, and I do have some from weight gain when I was younger and not eating as well.

So this is bliss! Proud mama to Katie, born gently at home 10/4/09, wife to my nursing student hubby (LPN down, RN here we come!), and coming in September....Katie's little brother!

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page