Anterior placenta. First kicks. Feeling movement from the outside. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is just for anyone reading who was researching anterior placentas etc like I was when I first found out and was worried about not feeling movement.

I'm 19weeks with my first pregnancy, anterior placenta, slim/normal build and I started feeling what I thought were flutters at 16weeks, only to dismiss it as a mistake when told by u/s operator that my placenta position meant I wouldnt feel baby til much later. I thought I felt some kicking at the start of 18weeks but again dismissed it as it didnt noticeably repeat. Then at 18weeks 6days I felt very undeniable kicks start that myself and others could feel from the outside that have been off and on since then, with more consistent tapping/fluttering in between, tho there are periods where it either stops, becomes less noticeable due to strength/location of movement, or I am so active I am not in a position to notice it.
However if I lay on my back/or sit in a reclining position and wait with my hands on my lower abdomen I can usually feel her kicking. I feel it more predominantly on one side, so that may be due to there being less concentration of placenta on that side, tho I have felt the movements all over at one stage or another. I think if anyone reading this was disappointed at having an anterior placenta, dont despair, trust your own feelings and take the time to sit and close your eyes and concentrate on what you feel, you may not feel it for a while (there may be other factors that delay it) but if you think you feel something, however slight, allow yourself to believe what you are feeling.

And dont let it stop you from talking to belly if you havent felt movement yet - your little one can still hear you in your second trimester!

#2 of 3 Old 05-04-2012, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an anterior placenta with my 2nd baby. (Didn't with the first). Your u/s tech was wrong.. you can still feel movement, as you did, it just is less consistent. I first felt this one about 15 w, would go days without feeling movement until 24/25 weeks. I'm 28 today and feel movement all the time.
Greebo likes this.
#3 of 3 Old 05-04-2012, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Definitely. I have an anterior placenta, and I started feeling movement at 16 weeks, same time as the previous pregnancy with a posterior placenta. I felt movements daily since then. From the outside I could feel movement at ~17 weeks, and DH just got to feel baby's kick today, at 18 weeks. The outside kicks are felt at the top and sides of the uterus.

Greebo likes this.

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/2RSWm4.png

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page