Red raspberry leaf tea - Mothering Forums
I'm Pregnant > Red raspberry leaf tea
Juliebeam16's Avatar Juliebeam16 02:39 AM 05-06-2012
So I've been doing thorough research on red raspberry leaf tea. Most of my questions I found answers to. Except, has anyone ever drank more than what the recommended amount is? For example 28 to 34 weeks only one to two cups daily then increase it to 3 to 4 closer to due date. Has anyone tried to drink 4 cups daily starting at 30 weeks?

snugglebug14's Avatar snugglebug14 04:21 AM 05-06-2012

I've drank up to 4 or 5 cups daily (of very strong infusions, not just tea) throughout my entire pregnancy without any problems. It will only cause a problem if you have a particularly irritable uterus, in which case watch for signs of early labor and start small and slowly increase how much you drink.

darkblue0729's Avatar darkblue0729 05:28 PM 05-06-2012

Similar to PP I drink strong tea infusions containing RRL throughout my pregnancies and I drink large amounts 1-2 quarts a day with no negative reactions...if you are concerned start drinking small quantities and increase based on what feels right. HTH!

CrazyCatLady's Avatar CrazyCatLady 11:24 AM 05-07-2012

I drank tons of it during the last weeks of my pregnancies.  Never any negative effects.  And it definitely never helped labor to start on time or anything like that.  So I really wouldn't worry about it. :)

MeAndVee's Avatar MeAndVee 12:45 PM 05-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkblue0729 View Post

Similar to PP I drink strong tea infusions containing RRL throughout my pregnancies and I drink large amounts 1-2 quarts a day with no negative reactions...if you are concerned start drinking small quantities and increase based on what feels right. HTH!

How do you make the infusion, what did you use to brew it in? 

snugglebug14's Avatar snugglebug14 01:02 PM 05-07-2012

I make mine in a glass 1/2 gallon jar. 2-3 large handfuls of rrl and nettles. cover with boiling water, put a lid on it and let it steep for 4 hours. strain, refrigerate and drink :)

darkblue0729's Avatar darkblue0729 02:30 PM 05-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeAndVee View Post

How do you make the infusion, what did you use to brew it in? 

I follow Susun Weed's method of using a large quantity of herbs (about an ounce by weight) per quart, add herbs to glass quart jar, pour boiling water over it and let it steep for 10 hours. I usually make 3 jars a night and leave them tightly lidded overnight to steep. In the morning I put two in the fridge to chill with some honey stirred in, and I drink one at room temp with honey and sometimes a slice of lemon to start my day. I make my own blend of preggy tea as follows:

One part:

RRL
Nettles
One Half Part:
Oatstraw

Alfalfa

One Quarter Part:
Spearmint (for taste)
Lemon Balm
Unsuplhited ginger
Calendula

The size of the 'parts' doesn't matter when you mix up the original blend so long as the proportions stay roughly the same, I have a cheap Ikea kitchen scale that I use to weigh when I go to make my infusions-an ounce by weight is approximately a cup. HTH!

MeAndVee's Avatar MeAndVee 07:37 PM 05-07-2012

Do you dilute it when you drink it?  Would it defete the purpose of an infusion if I do dilute it?  Where do you buy your herbs?

snugglebug14's Avatar snugglebug14 06:01 AM 05-08-2012

You really want to let it infuse as long as possible (minimum 4 hours) in order to actually extract the medicinal and nutritional properties of the herbs. If it is too strong for your taste after 4 hours, it is better to dilute than shorten the steep time. I grow a lot of herbs myself or purchase them from a local herb shop. But Mountain Rose Herbs and Jean's Greens both have excellent quality herbs available online. Jean's Greens is on the east coast, is a smaller company, has excellent customer service and super fast shipping. HTH :)

AmandaMamma's Avatar AmandaMamma 06:13 PM 05-08-2012
Ive been using the Traditional Medicinals RRL tea bags which say to steep for 10-15 minutes. Is this even worth it compared to the herbal mixes you make yourself? I gather it is similar to the quality of regular tea bags vs loose leaf tea?
darkblue0729's Avatar darkblue0729 09:03 PM 05-08-2012
Quote:

Do you dilute it when you drink it?  Would it defete the purpose of an infusion if I do dilute it?  Where do you buy your herbs?

I buy my herbs bulk at Good Earth which is a local health food store-most co-ops or health food stores have a bulk herb section and the  prices are usuall really reasonable. When I first started making my teas I bought 2 oz bags of each herb to play around with what blend worked best for me, now I buy 1 pound bags and only have to do so a couple times a year. I don't dilute my infusions because for me the strength is a big part of what I am looking for, I would rather drink two quarts of infusion than 2 quarts composed of one quart infusion and one quart water, but I am really used to flavor; it wil decrease the potency of the infusion to dilute it, but it will in no way negate the benefit...I mean a quart of infusion is a quart of infusion regardless if you drink it straight or dilute it with a quart of water so long as you drink it all...hope that makes sense! Good luck mama!!

Juliebeam16's Avatar Juliebeam16 01:51 PM 05-09-2012
I started with the tea bags 3 cups a day and I just recently started the loose leaf and oh boy there is a difference. I did one cup of the herb and 5 cups of hot water let it sit covered for 6 hours and drank it within 30 minutes. An hour or so later I felt like I did an intense ab workout not painful just tightening so I definitely would do try that!
MeAndVee's Avatar MeAndVee 03:18 PM 05-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliebeam16 View Post

I started with the tea bags 3 cups a day and I just recently started the loose leaf and oh boy there is a difference. I did one cup of the herb and 5 cups of hot water let it sit covered for 6 hours and drank it within 30 minutes. An hour or so later I felt like I did an intense ab workout not painful just tightening so I definitely would do try that!

Was that the RRL?  You drank 5 cups in 30 minutes?  Wow!  I can just barely finish 20 oz.  I am on the fence about the RRL, I did have a miscarriage last year. I am going to start slow and work my way up though.  I'll try a few loacl health stores and order online if I can't find any.

Juliebeam16's Avatar Juliebeam16 07:58 PM 05-09-2012
Yes I had 5 cups in about 30 min or maybe 40 I can chug like theres no tomorrow. I wouldn't drink it if you had a miscarriage unless your doctor gives you the okay
MeAndVee's Avatar MeAndVee 08:41 PM 05-09-2012

How does it taste?  Bitter? I see her tomorrow so I will most definitly ask her before starting.  I'll leave RRL out and use the others that DarkBlue mentioned on their own if it isn't safe for me.  I've been reading Mother Food and it suggested Red Clover for healthy breast tissue development so might add that as well.  

Juliebeam16's Avatar Juliebeam16 09:32 PM 05-09-2012
Oh yes it was very unique. I added quite a bit of stevia, I think that's why I chugged it because the taste was just very strong and bitter. The best way I can describe it is burnt sunflower seeds haha
MeAndVee's Avatar MeAndVee 06:14 AM 05-10-2012

Oh yum!  Forget where, as I am always reading something, but the bitter taste is supposed to be important.  Makes you salivate more and I guess absorb more.  I really should keep record of all the tidbits I find interesting so this doesnt always happen.  I think its in one of my breastfeeding books so I'll try and find it so I can give a more accurate reason!

darkblue0729's Avatar darkblue0729 09:18 PM 05-10-2012
Quote:

How does it taste?  Bitter? I see her tomorrow so I will most definitly ask her before starting.  I'll leave RRL out and use the others that DarkBlue mentioned on their own if it isn't safe for me.  I've been reading Mother Food and it suggested Red Clover for healthy breast tissue development so might add that as well.  

Red Clover is awesome,  but I would be wary of it-red clover is an extremely powerful blood purifier, it contains comarin which thins the blood quite effectively and also contains powerful phytoestrogens-blood thinning is not the end of the world as many things such as fish oil and flax seed contain comarin as well-but its effects are difficult to anticipate, so between the comarin and the phytoestrogen it is not, in my opinion safe during pregnancy (pre-conception or post-partum no worries!) As for RRL, I know that it can feel like it is working hard at the uterus, but it is widely regarded as being a mascarraige preventative and is rich in vitamins C, E, A, and B as well as a good source of phosphorus and potassium. In the end you have to trust your intuition mama. I wish you good luck!!

MeAndVee's Avatar MeAndVee 08:55 PM 05-11-2012

I was considering it as I have IGT and really would like to improve my milk producing ability BUT obviously do not want to hurt baby so now wondering.  I think I will stick with your original recipe DarkBlue.  Atleast I know those herbs are safe.  I'll increase the Alfalfa because that has shown to improve milk supply as well and I really like the taste of Alfalfa.

Oh the first time I heard about using RRL during pregnancy was when I bought my puppy 15 years ago.  Turns out its good for expectant mommy dogs too!

Tags: Pregnancy
Up