Anyone have pets that knew you were starting into labor? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-07-2012, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have 2 dogs & 2 cats. They've been attuned to and aware of this pregnancy since day 1, and have already shown unusual, pregnancy-specific related behavior (being overtly concerned about my whereabouts/wellbeing, protective, affectionate, ect). I've been having pre-labor signs for the past week or so, currently 35 weeks 4 days.

Tonight they've started up something kinda weird, though. They (all four) keep following me around, acting concerned/especially unusually affectionate, and the dogs keep sniffing at my crotch - unusual for them. Even the more standoffish of the two cats has been glued to my side and won't stop purring and rubbing against me. I've been having frequent contractions, but they're irregular still; I suspect just more BH at this point.

What I'm wondering is, do they somehow sense that labor might be starting soon? I wonder. I've heard from a few other women that their pets started acting weird before they started labor; usually involving excessive concern/affection from the pets. Mine seem to all be doing that all of a sudden.

Who else has pets that acted differently before labor started, and how soon before labor did you notice it? Just curious. :)

TIA!

#2 of 3 Old 05-07-2012, 05:15 AM

Our dog knew before I did! A day or two before my oldest was born, the dog started dragging blankets around making little dens or nests. The baby was early, as well, so I wasn't expecting her! The second kid, the dog apparently decided that we were acceptably prepared and perhaps miffed that we didn't use her den the first time!

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#3 of 3 Old 05-07-2012, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

That's really cute. :) I've been having contractions since 2am. I haven't been timing too closely, wanting to sleep, but they kept waking me up. There's been 6-8 per hour from 2-6am. Since I got up, they've been between 5-8 min apart, lasting probably 45-60 seconds. This has been going on for an hour now. This is my first baby, too, so I don't have previous experience. Does this sound like labor, or could it be prelabor still?

My dogs are still acting different. They keep following me around, sniffing at my belly/poking it with noses, and still sniffing at my crotch every chance they get. Odd for them...wonder if this is labor, if this is how they act during it? Dunno.

So, yeah! BTDT opinions, does this sound like early labor to anyone? :)

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page