36 wks - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-10-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 36 weeks pregnant and measuring 37 wks.  I am 4 cm dilated 50% effaced and they can feel baby's head, I can even feel baby's head.  I have been walking and dancing but no contractions yet not even BH contractions anybody know when I could possibly go into labor, or any natural ways to go into labor?

#2 of 15 Old 05-10-2012, 08:24 AM

At 36 weeks, your baby is not done developing yet.  You may go into labor on your own soon, but it could be weeks.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 15 Old 05-10-2012, 11:50 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

40w is term for a reason. A 36 week baby is not ready to be born. Just slow down and enjoy the last weeks of pregnancy. This is a very important month for baby's weight gain, lung maturation, sucking reflex, and brain development.

Oh, an cervical dialation before the onset of labor tells you nothing about whether the baby is ready to be born or when you will go into labor.

#4 of 15 Old 05-10-2012, 12:21 PM

I agree with everyone else -- measuring a little big does not mean your baby is done developing. A lot of brain development happens in the last few weeks, and babies born closer to their due dates usually nurse, sleep, breathe, and maintain their body temperature better. I wouldn't be encouraging labor at this point.

Mama to five babies. The newest one made her debut 7.10.12!

#5 of 15 Old 05-10-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
It turns out that carrying an infant to term has health benefits for both moms and babies. Research shows that babies born at 39 weeks or later have lower rates of breathing problems and are less likely to need neonatal intensive care. Full-term babies may also be less likely to be affected by cerebral palsy or jaundice, have fewer feeding problems, and have a higher rate of survival in their first year. Some research even suggests that full-term infants benefit from cognitive and learning advantages that continue through adolescence.

From this article:http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/what-to-reject-when-you-re-expecting/index.htm#.T6vqaAbtiVc.facebook

I know (believe me) the end of pregnancy can be really uncomfortable and you can't wait to meet your new baby, but a few more weeks is really the best for your baby and you. I would be looking at ways to stall labor, lots of rest, stay very hydrated, etc. And I agree with pp, dialation is no indicator of when you will go into labor.  You could still have weeks left. 

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#6 of 15 Old 05-10-2012, 04:41 PM

I think we all need to remember, ladies, that 37 weeks is also considered full term. Some babies ARE ready to be born at 37 weeks, so it's really not healthy to push the whole, "Only 40+ weeks is safe, since the brain develops in those last few weeks" idea. My oldest dd was born, naturally, with no interventions, at 38 weeks. That's just when she was ready. She was clearly full term - very little vernix, great Apgars, etc. So while I agree with you all that this mama needs to chill out, and that she needs to remember that 36 weeks is NOT full term, let's not tell her that if she goes into labor naturally at 37 weeks, something is going to be wrong with her baby.

OP, just relax. Your baby will come when it's ready. You sound like this might be your first. It's normal for first time mothers' babies to drop a few weeks before labor begins. At 36 weeks, you are not yet full term. Your baby will almost certainly come when it's ready, which could be a week from now or could be 5 weeks from now, ALL of which would be normal. There are no guarantees, and some babies actually won't come at the right time for them, and really do need a little help, but that's the exception, not the rule, and you're too early to be worried about that yet. Relax, even though I know you're uncomfortable and ready to get this over with. I think almost everyone feels that way by about 36 weeks. :) This is my 3rd, I'm 37 weeks, and I've felt that way every time.

#7 of 15 Old 05-10-2012, 05:36 PM

OP I'm also on my third baby and I'm 36(almost 37) weeks and I have JUST hit this space...god am I miserable. My little girl is sitting RIGHT inside my vagina, I'm carrying so low...it feels like she is going to fall out of me at any second...but she could be a solid month+ away! Or, maybe she's a week away! I delivered my son at 38 weeks...my daughter before him came at 41w1d....in the thick of it, I was a maniac waiting for my daughter. The instant she came, all of that melted away.

Having had a 38 weeker and a 41 weeker I can tell you for certain, a baby who bakes longer is easier. Those extra days seem like an eternity, but I'm hoping to go "over due" this time, too...because my 38 weeker was just really not as "done" as his sister.

Hang in there. Please, please do not try to induce yourself. "Measuring" 37 weeks has absolutely nothing to do with your babys development.

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#8 of 15 Old 05-10-2012, 06:22 PM

Oh yeah, "measuring" has very little to do with anything.  It's just a general comparison tool to gauge regular growth of the baby, not really much more.  I measured 7 weeks ahead at 25 weeks.  At 37, I measured 3 behind.  At 25 weeks the baby was high, and at 37 it was low.  Nothing more to it than that.

Another lady I know online has been dilated for weeks.  She's been at a 5 for about a week now, and is overdue, and still no baby.  Dilation also doesn't have much to do with it.  You are likely to have a shorter labor whenever it does get going, though.

This is baby 5 for me.  I'm 39 weeks today, and am pretty much done.  I have this funky inflammation thing that going to the chiropractor solves usually, but I can't get a good adjustment anymore.  My muscles are too "guarded", and the relaxin just makes it get all messed up again.   So, I am in a distractible amount of pain all the time.  Once a week or so, I take a tylenol just so I can sleep a few hours.  I'm pretty tense with my kids, and dh is feeling a little lonely because I just can't be touched right now.  It's pretty exhausting.  That and the 50+ pounds I always gain (and lose) is starting to really take it out of me.  I am really, really, really looking forward to being on the backside of this pregnancy.  Just to shake this constant pain all over is going to be wonderful.  I'll be able to function again.

I won't be doing any induction measures, though.  This baby will come when it's ready.  I really, really believe that.  I've never had one on the early end, mine have all been 40 weeks or after, but I do know that all of mine have been strong and very aware since birth.  Broody's experience (and others I've heard) is that the earlier ones are fine, but are just not quite as "ready" as the later ones.

You might be someone who bakes their babies a little quicker.  If your baby comes on the early end, you can be happy about that (and thankful to avoid the last few weeks of pregnancy!), but I certainly wouldn't be encouraging anything at only 36 weeks. 

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#9 of 15 Old 05-10-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post

I think we all need to remember, ladies, that 37 weeks is also considered full term. Some babies ARE ready to be born at 37 weeks, so it's really not healthy to push the whole, "Only 40+ weeks is safe, since the brain develops in those last few weeks" idea. My oldest dd was born, naturally, with no interventions, at 38 weeks. That's just when she was ready. She was clearly full term - very little vernix, great Apgars, etc. So while I agree with you all that this mama needs to chill out, and that she needs to remember that 36 weeks is NOT full term, let's not tell her that if she goes into labor naturally at 37 weeks, something is going to be wrong with her baby.

37 weeks is term, not FULL term.  Some babies are ready to be born at 35 weeks too, and while some of those 35-weekers are take-home babies, most are not, just as some 40-weekers aren't ready to go home yet either.

The bottom line is that you're not going to know until the baby is born, and encouraging labor so early is a risky endeavor, and it can't be undone if baby is not ready and needs NICU time.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#10 of 15 Old 05-10-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post

<snip

I won't be doing any induction measures, though.  This baby will come when it's ready.  I really, really believe that.  I've never had one on the early end, mine have all been 40 weeks or after, but I do know that all of mine have been strong and very aware since birth.  Broody's experience (and others I've heard) is that the earlier ones are fine, but are just not quite as "ready" as the later ones.

You might be someone who bakes their babies a little quicker.  If your baby comes on the early end, you can be happy about that (and thankful to avoid the last few weeks of pregnancy!), but I certainly wouldn't be encouraging anything at only 36 weeks. 

My 41+1 weeker came out cooing, 7lbs 15oz...alert, looking at us and all around....when I got out of the tub and lay down with her, she literally crawled..army crawl style, up my chest, rooting for the breast. She latched on and nursed like a champ and then fell asleep.

My 38 weeker came out, 7 lbs on the nose(6 lbs 9oz by the next day), screamed like hell for a couple of minutes and then crashed and didn't want to wake up again all. day. long. Didn't really open his eyes much, was very very sleepy and SO tiny. He was born at 10:37am...he didn't nurse until 5pm that evening and it was BARELY a "session" because he kept falling asleep. He was just so different.

Of course, plenty of women have had 37, 38 whatever weekers who were fine, alert, etc....but in my experience, the ones that bake longer are just different. It was easier with my daughter, everything was just easier...and easier is good!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#11 of 15 Old 05-11-2012, 10:36 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me

37 weeks is not full term.

And yes, some babies will be work early. OP is talking about inducing labor because she is uncomfortable and somewhat dilated. This is very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post

OP, just relax. Your baby will come when it's ready. You sound like this might be your first. It's normal for first time mothers' babies to drop a few weeks before labor begins. At 36 weeks, you are not yet full term. Your baby will almost certainly come when it's ready, which could be a week from now or could be 5 weeks from now, ALL of which would be normal. There are no guarantees, and some babies actually won't come at the right time for them, and really do need a little help, but that's the exception, not the rule, and you're too early to be worried about that yet. Relax, even though I know you're uncomfortable and ready to get this over with. I think almost everyone feels that way by about 36 weeks. :) This is my 3rd, I'm 37 weeks, and I've felt that way every time.

#12 of 15 Old 05-13-2012, 03:37 AM

Oh my god, you guys are arguing about SEMANTICS. The point is that at 37 weeks, some babies are ready to be born, and no one should be telling anyone that they aren't. Some of them ARE. End of story.

As to the rest of what you said, JudiAU, I'm guessing you didn't actually read my entire post before you replied to it. Either that, or you somehow didn't understand half of it, since I dedicated half of the post to telling the OP that she didn't need to try to induce her labor. For crying out loud, don't talk to me about how "different" it is. If I didn't understand the difference between inducing labor and naturally going into labor, why one earth would I say things like, "Your baby will come when it's ready....Your baby will almost certainly come when it's ready, which could be a week from now or could be 5 weeks from now, ALL of which would be normal. There are no guarantees, and some babies actually won't come at the right time for them, and really do need a little help, but that's the exception, not the rule, and you're too early to be worried about that yet." Did you not read that part, or not understand that part, or did you just not care because I had violated some dogmatic stance you have about how no one should ever, ever say that 37 weeks might just be the right time for some babies?

As to the idea that babies who stay in longer are automatically better off, easier, happier, etc. - my 40 weeker was a MUCH more difficult baby than my 38 weeker, in pretty much every way. The one and only thing she did better was sleep at night. However, getting her to sleep to begin with was a nightmare. She cried or fussed all the time for months, and had food intolerances like my first one, too. Babies are all individuals, and while, as I already stated, they shouldn't be born before they are ready (unless medically necessary), there is nothing wrong with a baby coming on its own at 37 weeks.

#13 of 15 Old 05-13-2012, 07:46 PM

What I'm curious about is why your caregiver is doing vaginal exams at 36 weeks?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#14 of 15 Old 05-13-2012, 07:47 PM

Plummeting-

It seems like you are having really strong feelings about this thread, and I don't really understand why. No one has said that babies are never ready before 40 weeks. The OP asked about inducing labor at 36 weeks. The PP and I responded that most babies do better when they have more time inside of Mom and here are the reasons why. I think it can really help with the last weeks of discomfort to know that your baby is in the best place for them. 

I think we can all agree that some babies do great when "early" and some babies struggle when "on time" or even "late." But for the majority of babies 39+ week is best. Without any information other than that given in the OP all we can do is provide information that applies to the majority, with the implicit understanding that there are always exceptions to the rules. 

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#15 of 15 Old 05-14-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

What I'm curious about is why your caregiver is doing vaginal exams at 36 weeks?

Yes, me too. My OB also mentioned it as standard care, but I didn't think to ask why, as it seems like such a remote scenario for me (high preterm risk)

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/2RSWm4.png

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page