Prevention or alternative treatments for Hyperemesis Gravidarium? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-12-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have had hyperemesis for all 3 of my previous pregnancies, and it got significantly worse each time. The only thing that stopped the vomiting last time was a concoction of zofran, reglan, benadryl, pepcid, and zantac, after a week-long hospital stay. The medications did not work individually, only together. And they only stopped the vomiting, but the nausea was still so debilitating for about 5 months that I could hardly get out of bed because my body was so weak and I would pass out. I am unexpectedly pregnant again, and I'm searching for anything dietary or supplemental that I might be able to do now, before the sickness begins, that might prevent it or lessen it. I'm also interested in any alternative treatments if I do get bad again so that I don't have to be on so many prescriptions. I am also currently nursing my 18 months old.

#2 of 5 Old 05-12-2012, 10:38 PM

The only thing I can think of is lots of B6. It helps with nausea. But if yours is that bad, B6 may not help very much.

Mom to DD1 reading.gif (11) & DD2 shine.gif homebirth.jpg(7) & DS babyboy.gif  h20homebirth.gif (9/10/12)

#3 of 5 Old 05-12-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamanFrancaise View Post

The only thing I can think of is lots of B6. It helps with nausea. But if yours is that bad, B6 may not help very much.

B6 with half a Unisom taken before bed is the only thing that helped me in my last pregnancy.  I got no relief from Zofran, Reglan, or Phenergan in either of my pregnancies.  The B6/Unisom never made the nausea go away completely, but it was about half as bad as when I didn't take it.

Best wishes to you.  I know how awful unrelenting HG is.  :(

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 5 Old 05-13-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

B6 with half a Unisom taken before bed is the only thing that helped me in my last pregnancy.  I got no relief from Zofran, Reglan, or Phenergan in either of my pregnancies.  The B6/Unisom never made the nausea go away completely, but it was about half as bad as when I didn't take it.

Best wishes to you.  I know how awful unrelenting HG is.  :(

Yup, this combo has been a godsend for me.

Newly SAHM to DD - 11/30/06 and DS - 1/3/10 * 10 week loss 10/13/11 * Cautiously expecting a September Surprise

#5 of 5 Old 05-13-2012, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

There's a really good old thread about this I'll see if I can find it.

ecstatic about BFP #2 after another round of Clomid,
TWINS!
EDD 2/15/2015
thrilled to welcome #1 after 17 months of ttc, 1 round of Clomid

DS LG  08/03/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page