Marijuana and Pregnancy in KS - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 05-17-2012, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamallama08 View Post

I've truly enjoyed the discussion/debate that this question has braught up. I don't think anyone as addressed the carbon monoxide issue. When we smoke we inhale a good bit of it which temporarily deprives the blood of oxygen (and the placenta and fetus). Marijuana benefits aside, how much carbon monoxide is too much? Can anyone address this. If a mother was to inhale ten breaths containing CO per day, would this significantly deprive a baby of oxygen to say decrease potential intelligence or stunt growth?

Inhaling ANY kind of smoke is not great for your body....people I know who are serious about MJ as medicine use vaporizers so they are not inhaling smoke, only vapor.

I do not have any hard facts/numbers/science at my fingertips about the actual damage/risks.

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#32 of 53 Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I guess it is all about risk and benefit. I was very depressed while pregnant and everything from pot to anti depressants was offered. It did not worth the risk to me. I went the therapy-meditation-exercise road. If I was suicidal at any point, then I would have taken anti depressants.

#33 of 53 Old 05-17-2012, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurucha View Post

I am surprised that there seem to be so many people in this forum who do not believe that women have the right to make all decisions about what to do with their bodies.

But its not just YOUR body when you are pregnant. There's another life to consider before you start altering your own brain and body chemistry.
#34 of 53 Old 05-17-2012, 09:03 PM

" I guess your question is what is the likelihood that you will be tested for marijuana in your system and what is the likelihood that a positive test result would be reported to CPS?"

As far as know, in most hospitals, a positive test result for any drug would be reported to CPS.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#35 of 53 Old 05-17-2012, 09:08 PM

" It is definitely illegal to test them without their consent. (The U.S. Supreme Court addressed this in 2001.)"

When a woman in labor is admitted to the hospital, she signs a blanket consent allowing them to treat her and the baby. So they have her consent if she's a patient.

#36 of 53 Old 05-17-2012, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

But its not just YOUR body when you are pregnant. There's another life to consider before you start altering your own brain and body chemistry.
I am aware that some people consider fetuses to be people with rights of their own. I do not. Legally, fetuses are not people. Obviously there are different opinions out there, but I am surprised that the idea that the rights of a fetus trump its mother's right to make decisions about her body is so prevalent here.
#37 of 53 Old 05-17-2012, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

" It is definitely illegal to test them without their consent. (The U.S. Supreme Court addressed this in 2001.)"

When a woman in labor is admitted to the hospital, she signs a blanket consent allowing them to treat her and the baby. So they have her consent if she's a patient.

Nonsense. A woman signs what she chooses to sign. Consent is by definition something you agree to. As I said, it's easy to sign a consent form without realizing what you are consenting to, but it's your choice whether to sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

" I guess your question is what is the likelihood that you will be tested for marijuana in your system and what is the likelihood that a positive test result would be reported to CPS?"

As far as know, in most hospitals, a positive test result for any drug would be reported to CPS.

Do you have any basis at all for this statement?

Since you are challenging my wishy-washy statements, I dug up the research I did months ago. At that time I only looked at California and felt confident that it was not a concern in California. According to the Guttmacher Institute, there are fifteen states in which prenatal drug abuse is considered child abuse. There are fourteen states in which health care providers are required to report suspected prenatal drug abuse.

The picture is not that simple though. For example, each state has its own laws and some include exposure to some drugs and not others. I cannot imagine that the laws in all these states apply to marijuana exposure, since exposure is not known to have any definitive adverse effects on a fetus. I also cannot imagine why hospitals would routinely test for THC. Exposure to cocaine or heroin is relevant to their medical treatment, but exposure to THC is not. Keep in mind that an estimated 10% of all babies (400,000-440,000 a year) test positive for exposure to drugs or alcohol at birth. Obviously, CPS only gets involved in a small minority of these cases. If people were being routinely tested and investigated by CPS for prenatal marijuana use, there would be thousands of cases every year. An internet search would turn up tons of cases. But all I have been able to find is a lot of people posing the same question you did.

Oh, and to get back to the OP's question, Kansas is not one of the states in which drug use during pregnancy is considered child abuse. "Kansas health care providers may, upon consent, refer a woman at risk for prenatal substance abuse to the local health department for service coordination." There is no mandatory reporting in Kansas for prenatal drug use. Maybe this could go without saying, but you might not want to admit your marijuana use to any medical staff, just to be on the safe side.

ETA: I found this more definitive statement from a study done by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that supports my previous assertion: "Very few hospitals test newborns routinely, and studies have indicated that hospitals do not usually inform child welfare or other State agencies about the number of infants tested at birth, test results, or referrals to child welfare agencies." "In an estimated 90–95% of babies born who have been exposed to alcohol or illegal drugs, the exposure is not detected at birth and the infants go home with their birth parents without any interventions." Again, they are talking about illicit drugs in general, and it has to be even less common for marijuana.

#38 of 53 Old 05-17-2012, 11:53 PM

Need to chime in here although I haven't read the entire thread. I worked in the field of child protection for five years. It is very common not only for hospitals to test mothers when they give birth (this seems to be particularly true when they are on state insurance), but also for prenatal care providers to test women at prenatal checkups.  Positive screens are frequently turned over to CPS authorities and become evidence in a case against the parent. Some providers test everyone, although it is more common if there are red flags like bizarre behavior etc.  

Marijuana is not as big a concern as heroin or crack/cocaine, but it is a red flag, and depending on the care provider, may well result in a referral to CPS.  Then, it's a crapshoot whether the assigned social worker wants to pursue the matter.

Bottom line, courts will always err on the side of keeping children safe.  When you work in the field of child protection, your perspective gets skewed, and you start to view all parents who have used drugs as dangerous, and therefore, the children would be safer away from them. And so even when all you did was smoke a little pot when you were pregnant, it is all too possible that the end result is that your child is removed from your care.  I have seen it happen many many times.  Prenatal drug abuse alone may not be "child abuse," but ultimately it doesn't matter, because it can be the issue that calls attention to you by CPS. Once CPS is involved, all bets are off and they can make a case against you if you are anything less than perfect. 

I would strongly suggest that no one give advice that others rely on to their detriment.  This is no joke and what you choose to do to your own body is one thing, but you are dead wrong on your facts and I would hate for someone to believe you and take a huge gamble without even knowing it. 

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#39 of 53 Old 05-18-2012, 05:57 AM

One baby per hour is born addicted to opiates in the united states. That is child abuse. Fetuses absolutely have rights bestowed on them by their mothers if not the law of the land. If a chemical company was piping fumes into your house, would you not sue on behalf of your unborn baby? Don't parents sue drug companies when they cause birth defects? Now, I'm not making a comparison between pot and opiates or other scripts, or chemical fumes. I'm simply disagreeing with the argent that unborn baby's are not without rights. My fetus certainly has rights. I take her rights into consideration when I choose to take certain medications that could harm her. I think majijuana is such an attractive alternative to other meds/substances because the low risks make it easier to preserve the baby's rights/health. I think this is totally valid, but I don't think that getting high everyday at the expense of your baby's well being is. It doesn't sound like any of the mothers in here are doing that.
#40 of 53 Old 05-18-2012, 09:00 AM

Prenatal drug use may not be considered child abuse, but if a baby is born and tests positive for drugs, then it isn't just prenatal anymore, then the "authorities" have a baby with a positive drug test.

#41 of 53 Old 05-18-2012, 10:42 PM

Theres no point in arguing whether it works or not, it IS illegal and you are in a state where pot isn't looked on as no big deal. I think pot should be legal and used medicinally, but Im not in charge.

CPS WILL bust you if you pop dirty and they do drug test moms, some places test every mom (I was). They also drug test babys poop, usually only when mom tests positive, because meconium holds drug residue for many, many, months (3-6). Please do not think CPS has bigger things to do, because it just doesn't work that way. They take drugs seriously, often even more than actual abuse. (awful but true!)

My friend (when I was in TX) got caught this way and had a year long PITA with CPS. She had to take classes, get drug tested, and any mess up meant loss of kids, even temporarily. She was lucky that she got a reasonable case worker! This was in the liberal city of Austin. It was a huge mess, and will always be out there even years later- not good if you don't want CPS issues.

So, the best thing is to quit now so that you are clean when you give birth. Don't wait, you never know if you will have a preemie and thus still test positive. If you still have nausea, try the Zofran. It works fantastic and I have never know anyone to have issues from it. It's highly effective, legal, and safe (years of use and study back it up).

Best luck!
#42 of 53 Old 05-19-2012, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeMama4-4-10 View Post
 And so even when all you did was smoke a little pot when you were pregnant, it is all too possible that the end result is that your child is removed from your care.  I have seen it happen many many times.  Prenatal drug abuse alone may not be "child abuse," but ultimately it doesn't matter, because it can be the issue that calls attention to you by CPS. Once CPS is involved, all bets are off and they can make a case against you if you are anything less than perfect. 

I would strongly suggest that no one give advice that others rely on to their detriment.  This is no joke and what you choose to do to your own body is one thing, but you are dead wrong on your facts and I would hate for someone to believe you and take a huge gamble without even knowing it. 

yeahthat.gif

As a former foster parent I can tell you that you or your baby testing positive for any illegal drug at birth will run the risk of your child being removed from your care.

I was not a foster parent in your state (I was in OK at the time). I have an adopted daughter who came into care at birth because mom tested + and then the tested my daughter's meconium  which came up +. In this case it wasn't pot but it was what got DHS involved and it snow balled from there.

I have a good friend who got a new born baby girl because mom tested + for MJ at the birth. We thought surely for such a minor offense the baby would soon be going back home to mom. Well, once again, once DHS got involved in the situation and set up a case plan it made it very difficult for mom to get the baby back. My friend has now adopted that baby girl. Even as foster parents who were used to dealing with these cases we couldn't believe that this baby was removed for a seemingly minor offense. 

IMO, child protective services is a corrupt agency and they have a screwy way of handling these cases. I would do whatever was in my power to make sure that you never did anything that could involve them in your life.

Hoping everything works out for you and the birth of your little one. hug2.gif

DD1 (2003) flowerkitty.gif......DD2 (2006) weadopted.gif.......DS (2009) guitar.gif

DS2 (December 1, 2012).....uc.jpg

#43 of 53 Old 05-19-2012, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicana74 View Post
<snip>

IMO, child protective services is a corrupt agency and they have a screwy way of handling these cases. I would do whatever was in my power to make sure that you never did anything that could involve them in your life.

<snip>

This.

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#44 of 53 Old 05-19-2012, 10:14 AM

when i had ds1 they tested HIS urine for drugs. 

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#45 of 53 Old 05-21-2012, 11:36 AM

Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation. Textbook.  

Marijuana category X  

Marijuana risks contaminants. So unless you are growing your own, beware of laced product.  
THC  does cross the placenta.  
Possible decrease gestation by .8 weeks.  
Increase risk precipitous labor (29% v 3%) or prolonged labor (31% v 19%).  
Increase risk of meconium passage (57% v 25%).  
Increase risk resuscitation (41% v 21%).  
Association with strabismus.  
Newborn risk for decreased visual responses, irritability, high pitched cry, tremors, startles.  
At 36 and 48 month lower verbal and memory scores.  
At 9-12 yo, worse impulse control and visual analysis/hypothesis testing.  
1989 report from Children's Cancer Study Group demonstrated 10 fold increase risk for acute nonlymphoblastic leukemia (ANLL).

#46 of 53 Old 05-21-2012, 03:40 PM
#47 of 53 Old 05-21-2012, 07:56 PM

Yeah, actually there is doubt. A lot of it. Did you even read the links you posted, really? Web MD is not a credible source if information, imo. Show me a controlled study where the mother smoked/vaporized/consumed mj, and used absolutely no other drugs at all, not even a tylenol, and had complications, low birthweight babies, or babies born with defects. Good luck with that.

None of the ideas expressed above are actually mine. They are told to me by Luthor and Ferdinand, the five inch tall space aliens who live under my desk. In return for these ideas, I have given them permission to eat any dust bunnies they may find under there.shine.gif

#48 of 53 Old 05-21-2012, 09:04 PM

The lack of a controlled study doesn't prove that it's safe for pregnancy. Researchers are very hesitant to do controlled studies on pregnant women, for obvious reasons.

This article talks about the challenges of including pregnant women in a study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2747530/

#49 of 53 Old 05-22-2012, 10:31 AM

I have followed along with this thread, but not posted so far.  Truthfully, I am surprised to see so much venom on it, especially attacks on the OP, when  MDC itself features an article on the benefits of medical marijuana for morning sickness (good article BTW).  It sees like you may be in the wrong community if you are so closed to alternative therapies.  I have avoided all substances during this pregnancy (even all caffeine until the third trimester) but you bet your life I would chose MJ over some supposedly "safe" prescription.  Remember there was a supposedly safe morning sickness drug prescribed until the 60's (I think it was called Thalidomide) which caused lots of babies to be born missing limbs.  Watch TV and you will see one ambulance chaser lawyer after another encouraging mom's whose babies were born with birth defects to join this or that class action law suit, especially for depression and anti-anxiety drugs.  I know it is not "medically approved studies" but I grew up around lots of hippie, pot smoking mamas who had healthy and smart babies who grew into healthy and smart people.  The thousands of years of marijuana use without real evidence of harm seems to clearly trump newly invented and barely vetted drugs approved by the establishment for a few years before they are then discovered to have some severe side effect.  This goes for many medical issues both during and outside of pregnancy.  They are all called "safe" until it is discovered that they really are not.  I would definitely worry about the continued ignorance of government official (including CPS) about the relative risks and benefits on marijuana and babies and mamas being tested at birth, but in a more highly evolved society, no one would be doing anything but complementing this mama (OP) for considering what seemed to be the safest course for her baby when she tried to treat severe morning sickness.

Metreehugger.gif College Literature Professor reading.gif(36) and DH (35) married 7/05, together since 1/99; Mom to two lovely and fierce little girls: DD1 2/06 and, after 18 months TTC (and a couple years NTNP), DD2 born 7/3/12!  Dedicated AP parent who is for selective (most) vaccination.

#50 of 53 Old 05-23-2012, 03:19 PM

I live in kansas and trust me they are STRICT, i would stop smoking about a month before your due date.

#51 of 53 Old 05-25-2012, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I have removed some posts for language and for personal attacks. Please keep things respectful.

#52 of 53 Old 07-02-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjamom View Post
There is ABOSOLUTELY nothing wrong with smoking cannabis during pregnancy, as a matter of fact it's safer than any other man made drug out there.  Many MD's prescribe pregnant women with what ever drugs based on the problem they have, for example if a prego is feeling the blues, they will prescribe anti depressants, and guess what!? the baby is born with defects or dead.  WTH!? And this is okay??? Because it's legal??? But in the history of marijuana, NOT ONE PERSON/EMBRYO HAS EVER DIED FROM IT'S USE.  If death has occured, it's simply because the prohibition laws, the government is against it for their own beneficial reasons ---MONEY?!  They care not for the health of us, nor the life of our unborn child.  Now i support cannabis use during pregnancy if needed and it's the best for any ailment.  All you judgemental people out there, go and do some research, stop being so brainwashed by what this government has shoved in your head, EDUCATE YOURSELF!
Do you live in missouri or know the specific laws for missouri? How do they or do they test every baby born? What if a positive test comes back?
#53 of 53 Old 07-02-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjamom View Post
There is ABOSOLUTELY nothing wrong with smoking cannabis during pregnancy, as a matter of fact it's safer than any other man made drug out there.  Many MD's prescribe pregnant women with what ever drugs based on the problem they have, for example if a prego is feeling the blues, they will prescribe anti depressants, and guess what!? the baby is born with defects or dead.  WTH!? And this is okay??? Because it's legal??? But in the history of marijuana, NOT ONE PERSON/EMBRYO HAS EVER DIED FROM IT'S USE.  If death has occured, it's simply because the prohibition laws, the government is against it for their own beneficial reasons ---MONEY?!  They care not for the health of us, nor the life of our unborn child.  Now i support cannabis use during pregnancy if needed and it's the best for any ailment.  All you judgemental people out there, go and do some research, stop being so brainwashed by what this government has shoved in your head, EDUCATE YOURSELF!
Do you live in Missouri or know the laws for this situation in missouri? Do they test every baby and if so how? What haooens if test is positive ?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page