Rhyming Sibling Names - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-19-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need opinions here... I'm 3 weeks away from delivering my 3rd child, my 2nd boy. Our first son's name is Jackson (we call him both Jackson and Jack). We are thinking of James McBain for the new baby and calling him "Mack". I loved it until it dawned on me that Mack rhymes with Jack. Does it rhyme to much or should we go for it?
#2 of 21 Old 05-19-2012, 10:00 PM

I think that is fine!

Both adorable names

treehugger.gifHappy Vegetarian Gal and geek.gif Techie Man-   heartbeat.gifNewly Wed!!!heartbeat.gif  Expecting "Albi" Christmas 2012 diaper.gif

Looking forward to homebirth.jpgbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif

#3 of 21 Old 05-20-2012, 09:18 AM

I'd avoid this. I also don't understand nicknames that are a big departure from the given name.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#4 of 21 Old 05-20-2012, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Will you always call the baby Mack or just as a nickname?  I think rhyming nicknames are fine, but would avoid it if you plan to call them Mack and Jack as their everyday names. 

However, if you love the names and the rhyming doesn't bother you, then I would go for it :)

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .
#5 of 21 Old 05-20-2012, 09:59 AM

I definitely would not do rhyming names.
dogretro likes this.

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#6 of 21 Old 05-20-2012, 02:00 PM

I would avoid rhyming names, given or nicknames.  But, that is just me.

#7 of 21 Old 05-20-2012, 02:26 PM

If his name will be James, why would you call him Mack? Am I missing something here? And if you are going to call him Mack, why don't you just make that his legal name? headscratch.gif

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

#8 of 21 Old 05-20-2012, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It rhymes way too much for sibling names IMO. Very, very cutesy unless that is your thing. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#9 of 21 Old 05-20-2012, 06:05 PM

It reminds me of Make Way for Ducklings. I wouldn't do it.

#10 of 21 Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't like rhyming names personally and I think that is an odd nickname for his formal name. Also, and this doesn't help, but I immediately thought of "Make Way For Ducklings" too and I doubt we are the only people.

#11 of 21 Old 05-21-2012, 04:51 PM

Up here in the Northwest, Mack & Jack means good beer! (local brewery named Mac & Jack). 

I'd avoid rhyming names. Perhaps choose another nickname? 

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#12 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 12:14 AM

I definitely wouldn't do rhyming names, but that's a personal preference because all FOUR siblings in my dad's family have rhyming names, plus my grandpa's name rhymes with all of theirs. Horrible, lol.

#13 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post

I definitely wouldn't do rhyming names, but that's a personal preference because all FOUR siblings in my dad's family have rhyming names, plus my grandpa's name rhymes with all of theirs. Horrible, lol.

Hahahaha OMG noooooo!!

OP, I LOVE both of those names and I understand where you're getting "Mack". But I don't know how I feel about the rhyming names. That *could* be too cutesy. But it's sad because I love BOTH Jack and Mack. I love them so much, that I might not even care about the rhyming!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#14 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 08:27 AM

Consider also that every single person you (or your kids) ever meet is going to make a comment about the rhyming names. That will get old real fast.

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#15 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liliaceae View Post

Consider also that every single person you (or your kids) ever meet is going to make a comment about the rhyming names.

Or ask where Pack and Quack are.

#16 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroodyWoodsgal View Post

Hahahaha OMG noooooo!!

OP, I LOVE both of those names and I understand where you're getting "Mack". But I don't know how I feel about the rhyming names. That *could* be too cutesy. But it's sad because I love BOTH Jack and Mack. I love them so much, that I might not even care about the rhyming!

I am totally curious - where does Mack come from? Is it a regional thing? I just don't see Mack from James McBain! Is he a fictional pop culture character??? 

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

#17 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Okay, so what if you did indulge the urge here? Then later, you have one more child and you cannot come up with another name that rhymes.... that child will feel left out of the naming ritual.

Really, I know a family who gave their first two daughters the masculine boys names... think ****** and Bennett and the third daughter got the cutesy girl name Emma. Boy, she's 8 years old now and pissed off. "Why couldn't you match my name to theirs?" she wails.
#18 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyme Mama View Post

I am totally curious - where does Mack come from? Is it a regional thing? I just don't see Mack from James McBain! Is he a fictional pop culture character??? 

HAha, not regional...I married into Irish folk! Lots of "Mack"s going back on the family tree. Mack is from the "Mc" in McBain.

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#19 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for your comments! Please keep in mind that Jack's name is actually Jackson so if we did a better job of calling him Jackson instead of Jack, I don't think it rhymes with Mack at all.

As far a Mack coming from James McBain, I'm starting to agree with the comments and I'm not sure it makes sense. IF we do name him Mack, it will probably be his first name and we will spell it Mac (Mac McBain).

The Make Way for Duckling comment totally cracked me up! Where have I been, I've never heard of this book. I googled it and my husband and I had a good laugh!
#20 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroodyWoodsgal View Post

HAha, not regional...I married into Irish folk! Lots of "Mack"s going back on the family tree. Mack is from the "Mc" in McBain.

Gotcha! I asked my Mom about it (Irish too) and she said that Mack is like "Dude" or "Buddy" or "Man". I still couldn't make the connection with my dense, pregnant brain. lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieKLincoln View Post

Thanks to everyone for your comments! Please keep in mind that Jack's name is actually Jackson so if we did a better job of calling him Jackson instead of Jack, I don't think it rhymes with Mack at all.
As far a Mack coming from James McBain, I'm starting to agree with the comments and I'm not sure it makes sense. IF we do name him Mack, it will probably be his first name and we will spell it Mac (Mac McBain).
The Make Way for Duckling comment totally cracked me up! Where have I been, I've never heard of this book. I googled it and my husband and I had a good laugh!

Thanks for coming back and updating us a bit! I felt like we were missing part of the story or something. orngbiggrin.gif And congrats on the new little one!!! love.gif

#21 of 21 Old 05-22-2012, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyme Mama View Post

Gotcha! I asked my Mom about it (Irish too) and she said that Mack is like "Dude" or "Buddy" or "Man". I still couldn't make the connection with my dense, pregnant brain. lol.gif

Thanks for coming back and updating us a bit! I felt like we were missing part of the story or something. orngbiggrin.gif And congrats on the new little one!!! love.gif

Sorry for going MIA after posting this question. Between Jackson getting out of school for summer break, getting ready for our daughter Molly's 2nd birthday and preparing for our new little one, I've been so busy! Good busy! Thanks again for your opinion and the well wishes for the new baby!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page