When to give up trying to turn a breech baby - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 06-08-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am pregnant with my 3rd baby and my 2nd breech baby. We tried, to no avail, to turn DD. We used music, heat, cold, light, inversions, chiropractic and an external version. I had a c-section. This baby has hardly been head down during the entire pregnancy. It is definitively head-up...as in head above my belly button. I have been super conscientious of my positioning. I have been seeing a chiropractor since 8 weeks and going for acupuncture since 25 weeks. I have been practicing yoga (including headstands) throughout this pregnancy. I am not enthusiastic about trying a version for this baby since it failed for me the first time and it's a royal pain to schedule, prepare for and consider possible early delivery.

I am happy to continue to visit the chiropractor since it is awesome to get relief from late pregnancy back aches and the acupuncture treatments are something I really look forward to, but I feel like I need someone to tell me this baby is not going anywhere. Anyone else BTDT?

Married to DH since 9/2001, mom to DS (1/2006) natural birth, DD1 (9/2008) transverse baby = c-section and DD2 (7/2012) transverse baby = rcs.
#2 of 18 Old 06-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

How many weeks are you?

I have known people who have babies that flipped at week 37, so it is not a lost cause until the very end I think.  

I haven't BTDT, but I am hoping that you get some really great answers and feedback. I'm 30 weeks and I think my baby *just* turned head down at the end of the week.  You might check out spinningbabies.com for some info on things you can do to get baby to flip.  I have been spending 30 or so minutes on hands and knees each night before bed.  It looks funny, but hey, if it works. :)

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 18 Old 06-08-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post

How many weeks are you?

I have known people who have babies that flipped at week 37, so it is not a lost cause until the very end I think.  

I haven't BTDT, but I am hoping that you get some really great answers and feedback. I'm 30 weeks and I think my baby *just* turned head down at the end of the week.  You might check out spinningbabies.com for some info on things you can do to get baby to flip.  I have been spending 30 or so minutes on hands and knees each night before bed.  It looks funny, but hey, if it works. :)

Right now I am almost 36 weeks. I have been all over spinningbabies.com. My kids keep asking me why I'm crawling around. innocent.gif

Married to DH since 9/2001, mom to DS (1/2006) natural birth, DD1 (9/2008) transverse baby = c-section and DD2 (7/2012) transverse baby = rcs.
#4 of 18 Old 06-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

LOL Just tell them it is a new game. LOL

Sounds like you are doing everything you can. :)  I hope baby decides to flip!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#5 of 18 Old 06-08-2012, 03:20 PM

When DD was breech we did all of that stuff and I came to peace with the idea that if the version didnt work, c-section it would be. If it were me, Id try a version but Ill be damned if Im ever going to hang upside down while DH burns my toes again.

Can you do an external version after a section? I cant see why not, but it seems like things might be different.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 18 Old 06-09-2012, 10:30 AM

Just to give you a little hope, 30 years ago I was breech.  My mom was 41 weeks when I finally turned head down on my own, and I was born (by induction) at 42 weeks.  Dont give up yet!  It does seem like there are some moms who's babies are just happier head up for whatever reason.  Hopefully your little one will give up the comfy position and decide to shift!

#7 of 18 Old 06-09-2012, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calleiah View Post

Just to give you a little hope, 30 years ago I was breech.  My mom was 41 weeks when I finally turned head down on my own, and I was born (by induction) at 42 weeks.  Dont give up yet!  It does seem like there are some moms who's babies are just happier head up for whatever reason.  Hopefully your little one will give up the comfy position and decide to shift!

Calleiah: wondering what your birthweight was. My kids are smallish and I wonder if that is why DD never turned. Her head maybe wasn't heavy enough? DS was head down the whole time so I can't compare. He is still such a good boy ;-)

#8 of 18 Old 06-11-2012, 12:03 PM

Hi

My first daughter was breech all the way until the end.  I tried the version and it didn't seem to work. I thought I would feel her turn for sure being near term.  However, as I was walking to be prepped for the c-section, the very last ultrasound showed that she has turned! So I was lucky there.

Now pregnant with my fourth and he was breech as of last visit.  I have an ultrasound scheduled to confirm.  If my midwife wants to try the version I will do it, although I can't say I was a big fan the last time around (it hurt and it didn't seem to work at the time).  I am not doing any head stands either, or hand stands under water as one website suggested!! Don't want to traumatize fellow pool-goers with my lifeless pregnant body floating up, lol.  Whatever will be, will be.  But I do hope he does decide to turn.  Good luck to you!

SAHM to one moody son J hat.gif(06-27-03), one super-girly daughter M hearts.gif (02-23-06) and welcome Sophie! energy.gif(05-23-10) expecting fourth in July baby.gif

#9 of 18 Old 06-11-2012, 02:41 PM

I have BTDT with Baby #2. Nothing natural worked for me -- accupuncture, moxa, crawling, headstands, etc...but the ECV did very easily so I was lucky there, even though I really didn't want to go there, I am glad I did!

So, not sure if VBAC is possible in this case, but at 38 weeks in that pregnancy, I actually switched to the only OB in my area that would have supported me in a vaginal breech birth.  She ended up doing the ECV which was successful, but if it wasn't, we would have attempted vaginal. Is that an option for you? I did tons of research and this option, and the OB was skilled/experienced with vag breech, so I felt comfortable...

#10 of 18 Old 06-11-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbkw View Post

Calleiah: wondering what your birthweight was. My kids are smallish and I wonder if that is why DD never turned. Her head maybe wasn't heavy enough? DS was head down the whole time so I can't compare. He is still such a good boy ;-)

I was 7lbs 6oz and 21".
#11 of 18 Old 06-12-2012, 06:44 AM

Fwiw, my dd flipped from breech to head-down 12 hours before she was born, and I wasn't doing anything special to try and get her to turn except lots of squats. (We were ok with a breech birth) She was 7lbs, 4oz.

I'd make darn sure to get a quick ultrasound immediately before to assess position before a repeat c. 

Jfly-by-nursing1.gif, partner-in-crime to Dfamilybed2.gif, mama to run.gif4, including our brand new rainbow1284.gifbaby.gifmissing my 7-wk-er

#12 of 18 Old 06-12-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblufig View Post

Fwiw, my dd flipped from breech to head-down 12 hours before she was born, and I wasn't doing anything special to try and get her to turn except lots of squats. (We were ok with a breech birth) She was 7lbs, 4oz.

I'd make darn sure to get a quick ultrasound immediately before to assess position before a repeat c. 

Thanks! They do an ultrasound as a matter of routine before a section for breech. I have noticed that a handful of late turners are not so big...which supports my hypothesis that head is not doing its job of being heavy. Just unofficial...but that's all this is.

Maybe I will reconsider ECV. It's just that I'd rather wait till 39w since DH will be out of town and I don't want to do it without him. I think OB has done vaginal breech, but only in cases of pre-term babies where they expected them to be on the small side.

#13 of 18 Old 06-12-2012, 01:31 PM

I'd definitely wait until your DH is home to try ECV. I went into labor 36 hours labor, and I have a friend that didnt make it much past that.

If your OB is willing to try an ECV once, she is probably willing to try it twice. My OB told me she would try it once, and if it didnt work we would schedule a section. Before scheduled section, she would do a US and if baby wasnt breech- great. If baby was still breech, she would attempt ECV once more, and if it didnt work we would begin to prep for the section.

Thankfully, it worked the first time, and it was pretty painless.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#14 of 18 Old 06-12-2012, 05:46 PM

My DS did not settle head down until after 39w...but he was a big boy, and he was not persistently breech. I was doing all of the natural things too, and none of them seemed to influence his position. I just had to let go and wait to see what happened. 

Still, I wouldn't have scheduled an RCS. (I also was a VBAC.) I wanted to wait and let him pick his birthday. I made sure to educate myself about what could happen and how to handle it in terms of water breaking, etc, so that I would be prepared. But I definitely planned to wait for labor to start to have a c/s.

I'm sorry you're in this spot--it's so frustrating, isn't it???

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#15 of 18 Old 06-13-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Keeper View Post

My DS did not settle head down until after 39w...but he was a big boy, and he was not persistently breech. I was doing all of the natural things too, and none of them seemed to influence his position. I just had to let go and wait to see what happened. 

Still, I wouldn't have scheduled an RCS. (I also was a VBAC.) I wanted to wait and let him pick his birthday. I made sure to educate myself about what could happen and how to handle it in terms of water breaking, etc, so that I would be prepared. But I definitely planned to wait for labor to start to have a c/s.

I'm sorry you're in this spot--it's so frustrating, isn't it???

Thanks for all of the good thoughts! I did schedule RCS because with my last breech, we waited and waited and finally had to schedule at the "last minute" and it was kind of nerve wracking. I had wanted to wait for labor for the c/s but from everything I have heard from others, it is a much more pleasant experience to have a C-section scheduled than go to hospital in labor and everyone has to scramble. I decided that 39w4d was a compromise I was willing to make.

At midwife appointment last night, she suggested I try to do more things to relax myself. She suggested that looking to others (chiro, acupuncture, etc) to turn baby might not work and I have to look within myself. However, she said I could discuss how late ob would do a version at my next appointment. In contrast to my last version, they were talking about doing it under epidural/spinal anesthesia since getting all tensed up restricts the process of turning the baby. I definitely feel like my body was unintentionally working against the doctors during my last version. I asked why they do the version at 37w and if it had to do with size. I'm not terribly concerned about having a big baby. My 39w baby is probably the same size as many people's 37w baby. She also said something about settling in pelvis and my last did not settle since she was in such a weird position. Guess I will have to wait and see if 39w is an option.

Interesting about how someone mentioned doing a version twice. I didn't get that impression from my last ob group. They made a big deal that they tried to move her 3 times instead of the prescribed 2 during the one version I had. I got the sense that if baby wasn't going to move they took that as a sign that they would be doing more harm than good trying again.

#16 of 18 Old 06-13-2012, 07:22 AM

Having been through it before, you definitely best know your tolerance for waiting and the unknown!  Believe me, that was a HARD road, knowing I could just be "done" with all of it. Sounds so appealing on a lot of levels  :)  For me, the hail-mary of baby turning during labor was enough to *maybe* be worth waiting, but he also was my primary VBAC, so I was desperate for it to be a vaginal birth. My outlook is very different this time.

My OB also mentioned trying a 2nd version. But that was more if he flipped BACK to breech after the 1st version. His instability was more my issue, in the end having to do with really high fluid levels.

Relax, meditate, and talk to that baby. Hopefully you can find some peace. I know how difficult that is.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#17 of 18 Old 06-18-2012, 10:01 AM

Hey mama...just thinking about you. Hope you are well!

#18 of 18 Old 06-18-2012, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Keeper View Post

Hey mama...just thinking about you. Hope you are well!

Thanks! Hanging in there. 37w today. Had Cranio-Sacral Therapy (or is it cranial-sacral?). I will be happy if I just reach peace before this birth...but you can be sure if this baby turns, I will be shouting it from the rooftops and updating every thread I've started on MDC!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page