reacurring miscarriages - now 5 weeks pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-12-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey all!

I have had 7 miscarriages in the last 4 years (It is hard to believe).  The doctors are dumbfounded. It is so easy for us to get pregnant, I just cannot stay pregnant.  I have done every test known and tried progesterone suppositories, aspirin, herbs etc...  I am 5 weeks pregnant and want so badly for this one to be ok.  Also I am a celiac (cannot eat gluten).  I am extremely careful about what I put into my body. I am fit and healthy... but I am 41 now.  Trying to stay positive..!!

K married to D- momma to M (10yrs)dust.gif  8 lossesbawling.gif  .....pregnant and hopeful!!praying.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 06-12-2012, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Good luck!  I cannot imagine how difficult this has been for you.  Obviously, I have nothing to offer that you haven't already tried, but I'm sending the best thoughts your way.  goodvibes.gif

Keep us updated!  There are also numerous threads and forums on conceiving after a loss -- mamas there might have some additional insight.  Good luck to you! 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#3 of 13 Old 06-12-2012, 03:48 PM

I'm so sorry mama. That is so common with celiac :( Wishing you a very sticky baby!

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#4 of 13 Old 06-13-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the support. My Dr.s ( I have tried a few) do not see any correlation with my celiac and my multiple miscarriages.  It is like they have never even heard of it. It is very frustrating. Although I have read so much online to indicate the increase risk.  I would love to hear from other moms with celiac and pregnancy success stories,

Cheers!

K married to D- momma to M (10yrs)dust.gif  8 lossesbawling.gif  .....pregnant and hopeful!!praying.gif

#5 of 13 Old 06-14-2012, 06:48 AM

Congrats!

I always recommend that my clients eliminate gluten, even if they aren't celiac, because it can be so inflammatory.

One of my nutrition clients had multiple miscarriages until she got her Vitamin D level up.  Have you had your level checked?  If not, ask for the 25(OH)D test.  You want your blood level in the 50-60 ng/ml range. 

More info at the Vitamin D Council and here's a blog post I wrote that includes their newsletter on the topic:

http://www.sondrarose.com/vitamin-d-deficiency-pregnancy

For My Website, Blog & Primal Pregnancy Tips: See my Profile Page!

#6 of 13 Old 06-14-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Ok Vitamin D test.  It will ask for the test. Thanks!!  I have been taking cod liver oil for the last couple of months along with my regular prenatal vitamins and fish oil. The cod liver oil includes Vitamin D 135 IU per capsule.  Do you think that is enough?  I am dairy free, what else besides milk contains Vit D or just take the capsule? 

Thanks so much, no one has ever brought up a possible deficiency in Vitamin D.  I will check out your blog.  I really appreciate it.

Kelly

#7 of 13 Old 06-14-2012, 07:37 AM

Kelly~

Personally, I need 6,000 IUs (in the winter) to get my blood level up to the range the Vitamin D Council recommends.

Everyone is different, but the general recommendation is 1000 IUs/per 25 lbs of body weight.  For a 125 lb woman, that is 5,000 IUs.

4,000 IUs is considered to be safe in pregnancy by the (very conservative)  Institute of Medicine.

Best to get tested right away & supplement accordingly.  All of the moms I work with have been deficient.  A fertility clinic near Seattle tests ALL their clients right away.  It's just taking some time for th medical profession to catch on that we need sufficient sun/supplemental D3 for optimum hormonal balance.

You also want to make sure you get adequate Magnesium, Vitamin A (your CLO covers it) and Vitamin K2.

Some recommendations here:

http://primaltoad.com/primal-pregnancy/

#8 of 13 Old 06-14-2012, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Oh wow!! I am going to run out this morning and buy Vitamin D....even before my blood level test. I can't thank you enough!!!!

#9 of 13 Old 06-14-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

I am going to run out and buy some Vitamin D this morning!!!  I can't thank you enough!!!

lovestolearn likes this.

#10 of 13 Old 06-23-2012, 12:28 PM

Congratulations!  Like you, I had 7 miscarriages in a 4 yr span.  No problem getting pregnant but never stuck. I also had taken progesterone with the last 3 or 4.  I am now 45 yrs old and pregnant in my 27th week.  The only thing I am taking now that I was not before is a blood thinner (Lovenox) as a precautionary measure.  So far, so good!  I just wanted to wish you the very best and lots of sticky dust for this pregnancy.dust.gif

#11 of 13 Old 06-23-2012, 12:41 PM

I had 3 miscarriages in a year, got pregnant and carried to term our DS and it was found my vit D was extremely low. Ironically enough, both pregnancies I carried to term were after I spent time in FL at the beach, so I am hopeful that this current pregnancy will be okay now that my D is up. I have been taking 10k iu one day, 5k D3 the next (don't take D2, it is not as effective) while not pregnant and my D was just tested and is up to 40! My endo prescribed this regimen. This is after being on D since January! I was at 20 before. I will be taking 5k iu D while pregnant.

Also, since celiacs can have problems absorbing things, you might be low even though you have been taking D. Definitely worth getting checked!

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#12 of 13 Old 06-23-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies.  This thread could be what saves this pregnancy for me!!!  I have been taking 4000 IU D3 on top of what is in my prenatal vit, drinking vit D fortified orange juice, also a Vit D, Calcium, magnesium supplement.  I swim (and garden) almost everyday so I should be getting what I can from the sun.  Oh the "butter" spread that I use says it has 50% daily allowance per serving...so I have been piling that on everything.  Should I be taking more than that?

Again, I can't thank you enough for your feedback and this thread.  I feel so hopeful.

Honey bee, I had never heard of anyone having as many losses as me (ok almost as many) in a 4 year span.  I really appreciate your comment.

Cheers!

#13 of 13 Old 06-23-2012, 01:14 PM

It sounds like plenty, but get your blood level checked ASAP, so you can supplement wisely.

If your "butter" spread is really vegetable oil, then I would avoid it.  Too many PUFAs will lead to inflammation in the body.  Try real butter instead.

Processed food is fortified with D2, which is not ideal.  And the RDA is only 400 IUs for D, so to be ignored.

D3 is what you want & sun or oil-based D3 supplements are the best source.    The only really reasonable food source of D3 is wild-caught salmon but one serving a week will only get you 1,000 IUs (more or less.)

Again, PLEASE test if you are supplementing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page