Mothering Forum banner

low progesterone levels on blood test and natural prog. cream ??'s Please help!!!

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  finnegansmom 
#1 ·
low progesterone levels on blood test and natural prog. cream ??'s

Today I got my results from my blood test for progesterone. The nurse told me it was within normal but after researching I know it's not. I am 7 weeks along and my prog. level is at 7.9. I have been taking natural prog. cream everyday since 2-3 dpo. And now I am wondering if the progesterone cream is working at all?? I even upped the amount once I got a BFP and it's still testing low...

I can not get any progesterone until the dr. sees me which isn't until the 26th of this month. I plan to keep using the cream but is it even doing any good??
Baby did have a heart beat at 6 weeks 1 day but I am worried. Now I am wondering if that's why I am not having anything but milder nausea becuz my prog. levels are low...

#2 ·
So sorry you are worried, mama. My progesterone level was low at my first blood draw, too (I think it was an 8). I was worried sick AND confused because I was actually using prescription suppositories at the time. I assumed that would translate to a high number. By the next draw, my levels had doubled.

Keep in mind that your progesterone level varies a lot during the day, so a single blood test can't really tell you much. Also, there is nothing strange about having only mild nausea at 7 weeks. You might be one of the lucky women who aren't afflicted with morning sickness. A full quarter of pregnant women never feel sick at all.

Hang in there, and try to stay away from Dr. Google. I know it's hard.
hug2.gif

#3 ·
I second Caly's comments. Progesterone spikes and plummets throughout the day. I got a reading that was so low my doctor told me I hadn't ovulated at all and that was the month I conceived. There's also a lot of conflicting opinions on the efficacy of progesterone supplements.

I also didn't have any nausea at all until well into my 8th week. So that's not an indicator of anything. Try not to stress and, again, Caly's right that you might want to avoid Google until your next appointment. Stressing out won't help. Best of luck!

#4 ·
What kind of NPC are you using? I for whatever reason had low progesterone with my current pregnancy, never did before, and because of my age and a recent miscarriage and mostly because this pregnancy was such a 1 in a million chance and I didn't want to chance anything, I chose to go on Crinone. Crinone is a natural based progesterone but I was told it is different enough molecularly that it wouldn't be picked up in blood prog test. So it would be there and "working" but just not able to be quantitatively assessed.

I was exhausted and very nauseous the first 8-10 weeks but no more than other pregnancies.

Nursing was painful and my nipples were crazy sore, but they still are and I've been off of it for 2 months now.

I don't think I had any side effects from it at all to be honest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.