Peppermint tea - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-17-2012, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sure we've all encountered this question before...is it safe to drink peppermint tea during pregnancy? I went my whole 1st pregnancy without any hot drink (I'm a coffee drinker). This time around I really would like something to have with breakfast. I've seen sources say it's fine and others say it causes contractions. I'm only having one cup of weakly steeped tea a day (I steep it for a minute or less). But that being said, I will eliminate it if it's a risk. Thoughts?

SAHM to DS stillheart.gif 7/1/2010, So excited for #2 due at the end of February!!!

#2 of 10 Old 06-17-2012, 05:19 AM

I read the same information. To be on the safe side, since often herbal teas have lots of extra ingredients I got sick of trying to verify, I put some fresh lemon slices in hot/boiling water, a few fresh mint leaves in hot water, or mix some pure cranberry juice with hot water. Just a work around I found good for me when I needed something hot. Also, I've used a few tsp. of blackstrap molasses in boiling water with some milk, which is slightly reminiscent of coffee, although a bit sweet for me since I don't usually sweeten my coffee.

hola.gifAndaluza (36) & dh (39), married 11 years! babyboy.gif M 8/23/12.  One cat.gif

#3 of 10 Old 06-17-2012, 08:57 AM

I drink decaf lipton tea with almond milk and honey!!!  Mmmmm.

K married to D- momma to M (10yrs)dust.gif  8 lossesbawling.gif  .....pregnant and hopeful!!praying.gif

#4 of 10 Old 06-20-2012, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Dunno about peppermint! I avoided it because it was on my avoiding list from my doctor. I'm not sure if I'd avoid it the second time round.

One tea that's never on any "avoid" lists is rooibos. I drank that, and also hot water and lemon.

#5 of 10 Old 06-20-2012, 09:57 AM

ahhh!!! Ive was drinking Refresh by Tazo, which is mint, every night for about a week or so.  I've never seen it on an "what to avoid" list! I've since been avoiding it since i read this post a couple of days ago, but I really hope the little bit that I did drink didn't do any harm. How can peppermint hurt? headscratch.gif

TTC 

#6 of 10 Old 06-20-2012, 06:23 PM

I have also never seen peppermint on an avoid list; on the contrary, I have seen it on several safe lists.  Teas with lots of herbs sometimes do have a no no or two in them, but I think that most herbs are on lists for "lack of research" (though there are a few to avoid in early pregnancy because they can encourage uterine contractions, like good pms mixes) and a steeped bag of tea is nowhere near a medicinal does.  There is so much contradictory info out there, we could all drive ourselves crazy.  

Metreehugger.gif College Literature Professor reading.gif(36) and DH (35) married 7/05, together since 1/99; Mom to two lovely and fierce little girls: DD1 2/06 and, after 18 months TTC (and a couple years NTNP), DD2 born 7/3/12!  Dedicated AP parent who is for selective (most) vaccination.

#7 of 10 Old 06-22-2012, 04:12 PM

I like the American Pregnancy Association's site, which was recommended by my MW. They have a sane list of things to avoid, and go into some detail re: teas: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/herbaltea.html

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

#8 of 10 Old 06-22-2012, 10:07 PM
kel

I can't see how a cup of peppermint tea, even if you steeped in strongly, would have any ill effects.  I actually drank it almost every night during the first month or two when I was super bloated - it helped my stomach feel a bit better before bed.  There are definitely some herbs (esp in concentrated form such as tinctures) that should be avoided, but most herbal teas - you would have to drink many many cups of them to get too much of something. 

And that is a pretty good little common sense article by the APA.

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#9 of 10 Old 06-23-2012, 11:05 AM

You could always just go with a pregnancy tea - RRL, etc. No worries, plus you know you are doing something good for you & baby :)

Jen - Partner to Joe, Craig, & Jordan grouphug.gif, mama to DS1 (7/13/99), DS2 (10/27/01), and DS3 (6/13/06), and DS4 born 12/13/12! Attachment Parent, co-sleeper, baby-wearer, Sudbury School founder & educator, PhD Candidate doing birth research, cloth diaper lover, GF (again), etc!novaxnocirc.gif

#10 of 10 Old 07-27-2012, 01:17 PM

Drank nothing but peppermint herbal tea last time I was pregnant, since it was the only thing that "felt good" at the time.  Seemed totally fine to me, and definitely helped take the edge off the nausea.  On a related note, I've seen it mentioned in botanical literature that peppermint/chamomile/catnip are supposedly not safe during pregnancy, but I didn't know that and drank all three.  (shrug)  Guess as long as you're not going crazy with the quantities, and don't have an unusual health condition, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot.

Tags
Pregnancy , Pregnancy Questions

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page