Questionable results of pregnancy test from doctor after getting BFP at home. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-22-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I am 10dpo and I got my BFP this morning. Well I went to see my doctor in the afternoon to confirm and he told me that my results came back questionable. I was told to retest in another week. Has this ever happened to anybody and everything came out ok?

#2 of 9 Old 06-22-2012, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

With my first pregnancy, the first test at the doctor's came back "inconclusive". I'd taken a positive home test earlier that day. This was right at the time my period was due, so I chalked it up to FMU vs later in the day.

I took another test at the Dr's a few days (a week? something like that) later. They called me up that evening and told me that they were sorry, and that the tests had been spilled and I'd need to do another. They expedited that test, and it was positive.

Then I got a call a few days later saying that my results were inconclusive, which left me wondering if "inconclusive" really means "Oops, we screwed up".

In any case, the "inconclusive" baby is turning 9 next week, so obviously things worked out ok :)

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#3 of 9 Old 06-22-2012, 02:45 PM

It likely just means that the hcG level was low because the pregnancy is so early.  When they re-test in a week, the number should be much higher.  

#4 of 9 Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 PM

If it was a blood test your levels were just probably low. I went in for HCG blood testing at 14 dpo and my numbers were on the lower end. When we tested again 72 hours later everything had properly doubled.

Newly SAHM to DD - 11/30/06 and DS - 1/3/10 * 10 week loss 10/13/11 * Cautiously expecting a September Surprise

#5 of 9 Old 06-22-2012, 09:40 PM

It is basically impossible to get a false positive with a home pregnancy test. If you get a positive reading, you have HCG in your urine. And there aren't too many ways other than pregnancy for that to happen...

love.gif

#6 of 9 Old 06-22-2012, 10:20 PM

I see people complaining about false positives on home pregnancy tests so often that I'm starting to wonder whether it's even possible for a blue-dye test to show a negative.

#7 of 9 Old 06-23-2012, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyllya View Post

I see people complaining about false positives on home pregnancy tests so often that I'm starting to wonder whether it's even possible for a blue-dye test to show a negative.

Seriously? I thought they were pretty fool proof! When I did some research on it, everything I read said that the home pregnancy tests look for a hormone that we only have in our system if we're preggo... Should I be weary of my results?

Jessica

✿ ✿ ✿ ✿ Lucianna Quinn born at home in the water ✿ ✿ ✿ ✿

Mom to 3 Boys; Nick (22), Gavin (14), and Peyton (10) And the little girl who's a crazy Toddler! Madly in LOVE with my soul mate Jason 
#8 of 9 Old 06-23-2012, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

My understanding is that a positive is a positive.  You can have a chemical pregnancy, where the pregnancy essentially fails before it even really begins.  In that case, you might easily get a positive on a home pregnancy test and by the time you show up at the doc, get a negative blood test.  But again, I've always understood that false positives on HPT are very rare.  False negatives, especially early on, are relatively common.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#9 of 9 Old 06-23-2012, 08:17 AM

I had a negative test at the doctor a few days after testing positively at home on three separate tests. My urine was too diluted (it was in the afternoon by that time) for the test to pick up the hcG. A blood test the next day confirmed that I was pregnant, though it was in the very early days. For peace of mind, I would get some cheap $1 tests from Dollar Tree or somewhere like that and test every few days until you go back to the doctor and get a positive test. Good luck, and congratulations!

Wife of R (08/2009), Mama of M (12/09), expecting Baby #2 (11/2012)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page