Coda or Julian? Name Poll - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What name do you like for baby boy?
Coda 4 18.18%
Julian 18 81.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-23-2012, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My partner likes the name Coda because it's musical.  I go back and forth between Coda & Julian.  What do you think of these names?

#2 of 13 Old 06-23-2012, 06:01 AM

coda sounds like cobra or code - and is a bit too out there for me.

Julian is also musical - it reminds me of Julian Lenon

#3 of 13 Old 06-23-2012, 06:24 AM

Although I'm very much involved with music and understand the musical background of choosing the name Coda--I don't like it as a kid's name.  It has too much of that "made up" sound to it (even though it's not made up).  I'd go with Julian.

#4 of 13 Old 06-23-2012, 06:57 AM

I chose Coda because it's different and unique. I do like the name Julian. It's our parrots name! BUT, for me it's has always sounded too feminine. I like it as a surname or a middle. Good Luck:) 

selectivevax.gifbfolderchild.gifdelayedvax.giffemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifnocirc.giffamilybed2.gifcd.gifsurf.gif     t.v. free  

Living happily on a little island in the sun
#5 of 13 Old 06-23-2012, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I think a kid named Coda is going to spend a lot of time explaining and spelling (as in "No, not Cody") and then he'll end up called Cody by his friends anyway.  I love the name Julian though.  But really, it's about what you end up loving and feeling is right for the babe. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#6 of 13 Old 06-23-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnra View Post

Although I'm very much involved with music and understand the musical background of choosing the name Coda--I don't like it as a kid's name.  It has too much of that "made up" sound to it (even though it's not made up).  I'd go with Julian.

This is the same feeling I was getting, like a "product" name.  But then, Coda also comes across as a bit rugged & unique which I like.  With Julian there would be more possibility for variation w/ nn's such as Jules or Jude.  Hmmm..I had an easier time naming my daughter!dizzy.gif

#7 of 13 Old 06-23-2012, 04:24 PM

I like Coda a lot! Never been a big fan of Julian.

Emma Bryan Fuller likes this.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#8 of 13 Old 06-23-2012, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Coda does sounds "made up" to me and that is the first thing that I would think not knowing the history. I think you are going to get Cody a lot. I am a huge fan of Julian and named my first son that. love.gif It is certainly one of the softer male names out there, rugged can not be used to describe it! It really isn't for everyone, I am surprised by how many comments I get on the name Julian. A lot of people love it, others prefer more stereotypical masculine male names, and I do get some nose wrinkles at it but then I am usually nose wrinkling at their kid's names which are always something like Jayden or Kaeden. Not bashing, just not MY taste. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#9 of 13 Old 06-23-2012, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Coda does sound made up. Julian is a classic boy's name. Love it!
#10 of 13 Old 06-24-2012, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I'm a classical musician by trade, and I didn't choose Coda because it means "the end"!

Ellie'sMom and purslaine like this.
#11 of 13 Old 06-24-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post

I'm a classical musician by trade, and I didn't choose Coda because it means "the end"!

This was my thought as well.  My partner was attracted to the definition below, however.  Because this will be our last child, he wants to symbolize the completion of our family with the name Coda.  Our daughter has a musical name as well.  My partner is all about meaning and I am stuck on the sound and how it will come across to others.  I appreciate everyones input.

Musical purpose

Charles Burkhart suggests that the reason codas are common, even necessary, is that, in the climax of the main body of a piece, a "particularly effortful passage", often an expanded phrase, is often created by "working an idea through to its structural conclusions" and that, after all this momentum is created, a coda is required to "look back" on the main body, allow listeners to "take it all in", and "create a sense of balance."[4]

#12 of 13 Old 06-24-2012, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

If you like music, you can always name your kid after a composer!

But remember: the best way to show your appreciation for music is to play it and listen to it (live). If you really aren't into the name Coda, name your son something else then let him play codas (as well as the rest of the piece) later in life.

#13 of 13 Old 06-25-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleZB View Post

If you like music, you can always name your kid after a composer!

But remember: the best way to show your appreciation for music is to play it and listen to it (live). If you really aren't into the name Coda, name your son something else then let him play codas (as well as the rest of the piece) later in life.

I agree with you.  I grew up in a musical household and my dad was a jazz musician.  Always loved having live music all around me and having instruments at my finger tips to explore.  I used to take my daughter to "Music Together" classes when she was younger which was always fun.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page