Summer 2012 Love for the Preggo Bajingos: Having #1 in our 30s - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 356 Old 08-22-2012, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sparrows- good luck on the GBS, but it really is not too big a deal if you have it.  I didn't with no 1, did with 2 and altogether #2 was a much smoother birth

Erica and Andaluza- waiting to hear about your births!

LIly- I agree with Scowgirl- nurse on demand.  It will help your milk supply and her ability.  They do sometimes just nurse for comfort and there is nothing wrong with that except they might spit up the excess.  

Lily and Scowgirl-Everybody has their own @$#%#^ opinion about how we take care of our kids and since they won't willing butt out, we have to just smile and ignore them.  My DD's both wanted to be held to sleep when they were tiny.  DD2 at almost 8 weeks is beginning to sleep longer stretches on her own during the day, but still sometimes she just wants to be held and I think that is her right as a little tiny baby adjusting to the outside world. I only let her cry if I need to put her down for a few minutes to get something out of the oven or go to the bathroom, or in the car seat.  I just keep trying to put her down on her own- sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and it keeps changing.  I think as she gets older, she will need to be held less.  Lately nursing her to sleep side lying on the bed and sneaking away is working pretty good at bedtime.  She is also a co-sleeping baby-wants to be curled up next to mom, but I am ok with that.  She is also sleeping longer stretches at night.  My pediatrician said that after they hit 12 pounds they are much more likely to come closer to sleeping through the night.  Typical for us is still about 3 hours, but we have got almost 5 a few times and that feels awesome!

Everyone else hola.gif

Metreehugger.gif College Literature Professor reading.gif(36) and DH (35) married 7/05, together since 1/99; Mom to two lovely and fierce little girls: DD1 2/06 and, after 18 months TTC (and a couple years NTNP), DD2 born 7/3/12!  Dedicated AP parent who is for selective (most) vaccination.

#302 of 356 Old 08-23-2012, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lilytiger, make an advice blockade around you and go with your gut, mama. People saying to put a newborn down and walk away ...well, I won't make judgmental comments but hopmad.gif. Nurse on demand. You are teaching your baby that you wil respond to her needs without her having to scream and wail first. She will be less fussy in the future as a result. I found that people's advice made it hard to listen to my own feelings, so I started to ry to block it out. The besT piece of parenting advice I got (thank you Carlyle) was that I know my baby better than anybody except her papa, and what works for others might not work for my little one. Trust yourself and ignore the advice, because people seem to think a mother is an open target. That doesn't stop. /endrant

Whoever was worried about size, my sister delivered a 11lb2oz baby at home. It's possible!

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#303 of 356 Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Thanks everyone for the support!  I think what freaked me out yesterday was that I had too many visitors and by the time my mom got here, both Piper and I were tired.  So when Piper wanted to cluster feed, my mom was all about putting her in the swing or the bouncy chair or in the bassinet or whatever.  Scowgirl's feeling of needing to rush across the room and grab her was totally mine too!  And after my mom left she nursed for a solid 20 minutes, so clearly she needed something. 

We had a pediatrician appointment this morning and DH and I asked about co-sleeping and crying it out.  Yet another reason I love my doctor.... Her response was, "the official position is not to sleep with babies.  But the reality is that babies hate being left alone and every breastfeeding mom I've met ends up co-sleeping, so just figure out how to do it safely".  And her argument on the crying it out is that all it does is teach babies that no one will respond to their needs.  I was super glad DH was there to hear it from the horse's mouth, because he's already worried about her being stuck in our bed until she's 5.  Our doc was very reassuring, but basically just confirmed all my intuitions.  So I'm feeling much better and we're laying around in bed hanging out, which is exactly what I want to be doing with the munchkin right now, so it's just about perfect. 

Yay for awesome online mama support and awesome in real life doctors!

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#304 of 356 Old 08-23-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
For someone who has only just recently started to feel like I have enough milk to feed her (after multiple reassurances from the scale, pediatrician, lactation consultants etc.), this is agony. I can barely stop myself from lunging across the room and tearing her away from whoever is holding her when it's obvious to me that she wants to nurse, even if she's probably not really that hungry at the time. This is why I would rather sit at home and nurse whenever she wants to all day. I realize there could be some difficulties when I go back to work, but I have enough to make myself crazy with and I would rather cross that bridge when I come to it. Actually that's how I feel about it in general... we have enough to stress about with newborns, no need to go against the grain of how our brains and hearts are telling us to parent right now. I need to get better at being OK with making unpopular decisions anyway...

Scowgirl, that was totally me. For several days I was a freaking crazed woman whenever he made any little peep I was sticking my boob in his mouth. Like, almost not acknowledging he had any other needs because the anxiety about milk supply was so great. I don't know about going back to work difficulties being more for nursing on demand, i mean, what else is there? I find it hard to believe there are breastfeeding moms who stick to a strict schedule. Out of curiousity, what made you think you had low supply? I had no real evidence except the jaundice scare when my milk wasn't even in, and my own ideas about how much I should be able to pump, etc. I still need to do more research about supply and pumping.

Lily, don't forget about the Bajingo moms thread in the Life with a Babe section, that's also a great pool of wise support :) I was going to say it's okay and that there's lots of info about dealing with high-needs babies and then I stopped myself. WTF? Look what little Piper and her mama have been through just in her first week of life. OF COURSE she wants to be with you as much as possible, snuggle and eat when she wants. Why wouldn't she, after having been separated from you in the beginning? I think it's only completely natural. You guys will find your rhythm. After our short hospital stay, and having had people at my house before that, i told DH i was DONE with other people. We don't have any close family in town, so it was easier to say no, but I understand.

ecstatic about BFP #2 after another round of Clomid,
TWINS!
EDD 2/15/2015
thrilled to welcome #1 after 17 months of ttc, 1 round of Clomid

DS LG  08/03/12
#305 of 356 Old 08-24-2012, 07:00 PM

Hi ladies! I can't thank you all enough for all the support I got from you in the hours before the induction. I didn't get a chance to write sooner, but it all really meant so much! I hope everyone is doing really well.

Popping in to say that everything went well with the induction, I'm feeling almost normal, and, most importantly, we now are crazy in love with our little baby boy M. love.gif Despite being 10 days overdue, he weighed in at 6 lbs and 7 oz but was a pretty long 20 &1/4 inches.

It not the birth I planned for, but under the circumstances, everything went really well and I am happy with the decisions we ended up making and the experience we had. Dh was amazing, especially for helping me through contractions. I think I'll write up the full story later, but here are a lot of the main details. It took me from about 9pm-8am on 25 microgram pills of cytotec to dilate to 5 cm (I had 2 total 4 hours apart and this med was the part I was most worried about). But it caused super intense contractions not along the lines of what I was led to expect for that level of dilation had it occurred naturally--at the end they lasted for about a minute each every 3 minutes and sometimes one immediately followed the other with no break. We brought a cut up pool noodle for massages and I ripped it apart with my nails during the contractions. Dh gave me counter pressure on my lower back, hips, and butt, which was the most help.

Because of this, I got an epidural. It seemed to slow things down a bit and they added pitocin. It was crazy to watch what that did to my contractions, which I didn't feel with the epidural until I approached 10 cm (it made the contractions about a minute apart, but according to the monitor never down to 0, so there would have been no relief at all). The funny thing about the epidural was that when I was pushing all the feeling came back in my legs, even though one had felt completely paralyzed until that point. I can't explain it. 

I pushed from 3-4:45, when he was born. I got a 2nd degree tear and still feel pretty swollen, but I am really happy that I ended up with a vaginal birth. He had some meconium on him when he emerged so I only had him on top of me for a minute or so when they had to clean him and check him (still in the same room). I was a little worried about the separation and also because he only cried very briefly right after birth, but we were able to spend well over an hour together before heading to the postpartum room and nursery stop. He nursed and his eyes came into focus during our skin to skin time, so we did get to bond in a really great and positive way. He's been nursing up a storm, it's really incredible. He has a major sucking obsession in general and is always eating his fingers or hands. We are really enjoying our time together and with baby M!

hola.gifAndaluza (36) & dh (39), married 11 years! babyboy.gif M 8/23/12.  One cat.gif

#306 of 356 Old 08-24-2012, 07:12 PM

jumpers.gif Welcome Baby M. jumpers.gif

Congratulations Andaluza!!!

I am so very happy to hear you had a vaginal birth 

and that your baby is healthy!!!  Enjoy your precious

time as a new family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heartbeat.gif my September baby Augustus heartbeat.gif

#307 of 356 Old 08-24-2012, 08:11 PM

Yeah Andaluza!  Congratulations on your baby boy.  Little guy kept you waiting.  Sounds like you did great Mama.

Metreehugger.gif College Literature Professor reading.gif(36) and DH (35) married 7/05, together since 1/99; Mom to two lovely and fierce little girls: DD1 2/06 and, after 18 months TTC (and a couple years NTNP), DD2 born 7/3/12!  Dedicated AP parent who is for selective (most) vaccination.

#308 of 356 Old 08-25-2012, 07:56 AM

CONGRATULATIONS andaluza on your lovely baby boy! That is so great!!

Jennifer (35) read.gif jog.gif , DH (36) reading.gifbikenew.gif, and baby makes three: Welcome DD Evelyn, 7/16/12! baby.gif

Missing our beloved "soul mate kitty" rainbow1284.gifflowerkitty.gif (RIP 8/19/11) but enjoying our two new kitty-girls.

#309 of 356 Old 08-25-2012, 08:45 AM

Andaluza, awesome news!!!!  It sounds like the birth went great under the circumstances.  I had a second degree tear too and it heals pretty quickly (though still annoying).  Hope you're all relaxing and enjoying every crazy minute!

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#310 of 356 Old 08-25-2012, 08:48 AM

Congratulations Andaluza, and welcome little one! joy.gif

partners.gif  +babyf.gifjoy.gif

#311 of 356 Old 08-26-2012, 06:25 AM

#312 of 356 Old 08-26-2012, 07:46 AM

Yeyyyyyy, Andaluza!! So happy for you and your little man!! joy.gif

AFM: Still hanging around waiting for little lady. The Braxton hicks contractions are kinda non stop now, all day... and when I get up at night to pee! I'm trying to keep myself somewhat busy and preoccupied so I don't get too impatient, buttttttt I'm closing in on my due date in 4 days... So that thought pattern might go out the window sooner than later. And of course the nonstop text messages, emails, and calls about "baby here yet?" don't help. How annoying are people? I know they're excited, but don't they get I'm just as excited and anxious to? I'm uncomfortable on top of it so of course I want her here ASAP. Ugh. Someone sent me this link, so I'm now telling people to go here when they ask me. Haha. http://www.haveyouhadthatbabyyet.com/

erica (33) hubs (36)
Ruby Mae , 9/1/12
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35***40

Breast cancer survivor!
#313 of 356 Old 08-26-2012, 09:29 AM

I posted that link as my Facebook status at the end of my pregnancy. Pure awesomeness. orngtongue.gif

#314 of 356 Old 08-26-2012, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Andaluza, woohooooo!!! Congrats and welcome little one! joy.gif

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#315 of 356 Old 08-27-2012, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Andaluza congrats on baby M's appearance into this world!  Exciting news!

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#316 of 356 Old 08-27-2012, 10:46 AM

boots, that is a good point about it being hard to breastfeed "on a schedule" anyway, so probably everyone goes through the same challenges when they go back to work. I guess I was mainly thinking that she might have trouble with bottles (she's only had a few), but we'll see. As for being paranoid about my supply, it's mainly that she lost so much from her birth weight. She went from 8 lb to 7 lb 3 oz. At that point they get really intrusive (and I guess for good reason, it's just that it made me insane) about wanting you to pump after every single feeding in order to get your supply up, which is so stressful for me for some reason. I have never once actually done this because it takes at least half an hour by the time you get everything set up and then put away at the end, and I wouldn't be able to do anything else all day or night (plus DD is not usually cooperative to just let me do other stuff after a feeding). I take my hat off to those of you who manage this.

Then, all the questioning at the weigh-ins with the pediatrician seems really accusatory. I know they don't really mean it that way... it's just that I felt like no matter what I was doing, it wasn't good enough, so of course I would be punished by not having enough milk because I wasn't working hard enough. Then there's the fact that at times, she cluster feeds and I can't tell if it's normal or because she is still hungry after my breasts are empty. To be honest I still have a really tough time telling for sure that she is hungry vs. having some other kind of issue. But she's growing well, has enough diapers, and has wakeful periods where she seems content, so everyone says those are the criteria. I think this is sort of like being obsessed with my blood pressure during pregnancy, which then ended up actually affecting my blood pressure at times... except worse because now I get obsessed with the idea that I might be starving a helpless baby. It doesn't help that our friends' son who was born about a week before her weighs about 2 lb. more even adjusting for differences in birth weight. I feel like, what if she is supposed to be growing faster than the benchmark our doctor gave us, and I am inadvertently stunting her growth?

I can't pump very much either, though from what I understand, that's normal and doesn't necessarily mean your supply is low? I think it's affecting my letdown because I'm anxious whenever I pump. I feel like going back to work and trying to pump is not going to go well, but I guess I'll worry about that later. I will say it's getting somewhat better now that I sprang for a hands-free pumping bustier and Pumpin' Pal flanges... now I can get online, etc. while I pump so it takes my mind off it a bit. Between this and all the herbs and crap, I feel like formula would have been way cheaper than BF in our case... dizzy.gif

OK, I can see DD on the monitor working her way out of her swaddle (I thought she was asleep... guess not) so I gotta go! Sorry for lack of personals, I just haven't had a minute to get my act together for a proper post.

Jennifer (35) read.gif jog.gif , DH (36) reading.gifbikenew.gif, and baby makes three: Welcome DD Evelyn, 7/16/12! baby.gif

Missing our beloved "soul mate kitty" rainbow1284.gifflowerkitty.gif (RIP 8/19/11) but enjoying our two new kitty-girls.

#317 of 356 Old 08-27-2012, 12:52 PM

Just got back from the Dr. A little more effaced and still 1 cm dilated. Apparently I lost my mucous plug at some point anddddd I didn't even know. Howwww did I miss THAT? Lol.

Oh. And I need to laugh cause of lady baby came a littleeeee earlier... I could've been in the same hospital as Snooki. How weird! Anyway, the one nurse attacked me in the hallway and did a quick massage of my pressure points and they all said "Now go home and have a big orgasm". innocent.gif lol!!

erica (33) hubs (36)
Ruby Mae , 9/1/12

Breast cancer survivor!
#318 of 356 Old 08-27-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowgirl View Post

Then there's the fact that at times, she cluster feeds and I can't tell if it's normal or because she is still hungry after my breasts are empty. To be honest I still have a really tough time telling for sure that she is hungry vs. having some other kind of issue. 

Scowgirl, we're having the same issue. Cara was super fussy for a few days last week. I finally figured out that it might be because she wasn't getting enough to eat and offered her a bottle of pumped milk from my stash in the freezer. She gulped that bottle down, then part of another one. I was horrified (and still am) to think she might have been going hungry. I still don't know if that was the problem, but it seems like a good bet.

Feeding a baby is stressful.

#319 of 356 Old 08-27-2012, 08:27 PM

Erica, it sounds like your Ruby will not be as tardy making her appearance as my little baby M was. I hope these last few days before the due date go by quickly and bring you peace and no stress.

Thanks so much to everyone for the welcomes for baby M! He's doing really well! We had a pediatrician visit today and he had gained 4 oz from his lowest weight when we were discharged on Saturday, so it's a huge relief. The lactation consultants at the hospital had me kind of freaked out that my milk was not going to come in and he'd lose more; but it's in already--started last night and now I have the look of someone who got implants. I think I need to do some hand pumping and see how it goes.

Here's a picture of him in in dh's favorite onesie:

I look at him and fall more and more in love every second. It's crazy and amazing. 

Last night was the second at home and it went much better than the first. I made a huge effort to let dh get caught up on sleep the first night since he tolerates sleeplessness poorer than I do, so I think the first night I was up until morning, then he came and took over and I took a long nap. We ended up with me sleeping (ha) in the nursery, since the bed has a really low box spring and the co-sleeper is so adaptable. My biggest battle seems to be juggling feeding, burping, diaper change, and then getting him to tolerate being in the cosleeper in an order of events that is efficient. I often feel like a circus performer. But now that my milk is in he seems to be sleepier after feedings. The real test will be tonight. Last night dh slept from midnight to 3 and I couldn't get M to sleep, so he came in and was able to burp him and get him to accept the cosleeper. We got close to 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep, which was amazing. I kind of think I could function like that, but sometimes I worry I could doze off while feeding him. My parents will be here after labor day, which I'm looking forward to, although now that I'm sleeping in the nursery I'm not sure how it's going to work out. Perhaps I'll be healed enough to contemplate getting in and out of our high bed then.

hola.gifAndaluza (36) & dh (39), married 11 years! babyboy.gif M 8/23/12.  One cat.gif

#320 of 356 Old 08-28-2012, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

What a great story! Congratulations!

Foster mom, married to DH (foster dad!)

#321 of 356 Old 08-28-2012, 06:10 AM

He is lovely!!

#322 of 356 Old 08-28-2012, 10:50 AM

Just popping in to say CONGRATS and welcome to all the precious new Bajingo Babies!! 

Boots, I love the name Lyle and he is a doll. 

Andaluza, your little one is perfect, too!  Glad to read about your birth going well... the further I get into this pregnancy, the more stressed I was getting about having an ideal birth.  Then it hit me.  All thos frustrating months of BFNs.  I remembered wanting and trying for so long to even get pregnant---as long as our baby gets here healthy, I really can't complain. 

Erica, can't wait to hear the announcment of baby Ruby's arrival!

We are having a BOY and I'm 22 weeks now!!  Feeling great, back at school, exhausted but happy.  I love this part of pregnancy.  I feel him move all the time, and we're already so in love with him.  My heart might break open when I actually get to meet him. 

Love to everyone!! 

Me (32) and DH (30) welcomed our precious baby boy 1/2013... life is good.

#323 of 356 Old 08-28-2012, 11:46 AM

Andaluza - I used to have that same worry, about dozing off while feeding Kayden. And honestly, after the first few times that I woke up and realized that's exactly what happened, I stopped worrying about it smile.gif That's when K really started cosleeping - when I learned to nurse side laying. I realized that in the middle of the night I could stick my boob in his mouth and go back to sleep and then everyone was happy!

Oh, and another note - if you start pumping you will get more milk production which will make you more uncomfortable, not less, so be careful if that's not your intent!

scowgirl and CalyCanth - We went through some of the crying-for-more-food in that time period too. Try to make sure you're nursing lots, and that you take care of YOU! Make sure you're eating and drinking enough. It's so easy to forget to take care of yourself in the press of trying to take care of a new baby.

Have I said that a bunch of times already? I'm sorry if I repeat myself! I never know what I thought and what I actually had time to type and message!

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#324 of 356 Old 08-28-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Andaluza, what a dapper little gentleman! You will figure out your rhythm! How are you guys liking the cosleeper? Honestly, ours is still in basinette form, but pushed flush against my side of the bed with the mesh facing me (so it can double as a bed rail, too) We're lucky Lyle sleeps fine on his own, mostly because I am just TOO paranoid to cosleep. I really want to but I think maybe we'll try when he's a bit bigger. We haven't put the cosleeper in as a cosleeper because of the cats, too, and I don't want to give up having a place with four high sides where I can lay him when I go pee, etc.

Livingsky, I am ready to fly to visit so you can teach me to sidelie nurse with big boobs. We were sort of doing it when my stitches were too painful to sit up, but that was before my milk was in and now I feel like it's so awkward. I've read a few other people say it's easier with older babies and large boobies.

Caly, I know it's a delicate balance, but I sort of learned some things from this article, of course I know he's been hungry before, too...

http://forums.ivillage.com/t5/Archives/KATHYWITHPP-help-m/m-p/19794533

Pitch, good to see you, glad you are doing well, keeping things in perspective, and congrats on that boy! :)

Thanks, we love his name too and it was so fun choosing it. We love that it's not in the top 1000 names. Are you guys thinking about names now? I just love baby names and research. :)

scowgirl, I had no idea you struggled so much with your LO losing weight. We were right on the cusp (he had lost 9% of his birthweight) and the pressure was SO intense. I just don't wish that on any new mama who wants to breastfeed. You just don't know what to do. I remember lying in bed after we were readmitted to the hospital listening to DH open the bottle of formula thinking that was the death knell of breastfeeding my son. Thankfully that was not so.

As for us, all is well. We are officially babywearing, Lyle has been in the sling and the sleepy wrap the last two days. The sling is fiddly and I'm not sure I have the right size, but it's definitely cooler. He got SO hot this afternoon in the wrap. He seems to only sleep for an hour in it, whereas when he was in the sling he slept for two, which could be coincidence. If we had extra money I would buy a higher end stretchy wrap like the Bali or something, they are supposed to be cooler. Now he's in it and just wearing a diaper, hopefully that will be better.

I am still trying to figure out when I can pump. I looked at my log of feedings and thought I could do it this afternoon at 2, in the past week that has been between feedings, but guess who wanted to eat at 2 today?

A few gripes, my parents told me today they might not even come in March but wait until June when we come to see Lyle. My dad said then they'd help us pay for our tickets with the money they would have used to come see us in March. But I just don't quite get it, this is their first grandchild and I'd think they'd be more anxious to see him. People keep asking if they've been to see him and I keep saying no because of my mom's health (can't tolerate heat) but now ?

Also my friend will also be our daycare provider told me aobut her angelcare monitor went off last night because he wasn't breathing even though her son was sleeping right by her and how glad she was to have it and this just caused me so much anxiety. I have enough of that! She ended up hitting him on the back and he went right back to sleep and I wanted to ask if he wouldn't have just woken up and coughed but what do I know and she was scared. Ugh. We are starting to worry about money so the last thing I need is stories that are like "you need this product or your baby will DIE!"

ecstatic about BFP #2 after another round of Clomid,
TWINS!
EDD 2/15/2015
thrilled to welcome #1 after 17 months of ttc, 1 round of Clomid

DS LG  08/03/12
#325 of 356 Old 08-28-2012, 06:06 PM

Andaluza, I doze of all the time while feeding Piper.  I wake up at any noise, basically, so I wouldn't worry about it.  I know it's hard though.

Boots, we figured out baby wearing too!  DH likes the moby, but it's way too hot for me and we end up adjusting it like 8 times in the course of a walk, so I prefer the sling.  I finally got the hang of it, particularly after reading the Dr. Sears book.  For our sling at least, you put it on backward for newborns so their head is resting on the shoulder pad.  When I first tried it before I read that, Piper was like falling into the chasm of fabric, never to be seen again.  Now her little head is out and she can look around but also sleep comfortably.  It made a big difference.  I also don't understand why anyone would carry around those damn car seats.  Taking her to the doctor was so much easier when you can just plop her into the sling rather than lugging a huge heavy car seat across a parking lot and up a flight of stairs.  If they're passed out cold it's one thing, but in general I don't get why people do it. 

We had a pretty tough day over here.  Piper cluster fed for the entire day and refused to be put down.  We had a doc appointment and everything looked fine so I just concluded that for whatever reason, she's pissed at me.  She's sleeping now after DH swaddled her up and bounced her, but now I'm terrified she's going to be up all night because she didn't do her usual late evening cluster feed.  Ahhhh!  If she starts reverse cycling, it's all over.  I'll slap a bottle of formula in DH's hand and run for the hills.

The weirdest thing about mothering so far is that while I have these super stressful frustrating days with her, when she's asleep I actually miss her and can't wait for her to wake up again. It's like my heart is wrenched with love and frustration all at the same time.  It's a good thing that happens, of course, because every day I'm so excited to see her little face while if she were anyone else, I'd never talk to them again.  My poor boobs..... 

#326 of 356 Old 08-28-2012, 11:59 PM

Andaluza- I agree with LivingSky- Co-sleeping and nursing side lying while half asleep has really improved moods and well-being around here.  Get safe and comfortable and don't worry about falling asleep while nursing.  When you are exhausted it is bound to happen.

Boots- yeah for successful baby wearing!  It is a really good way to get some stuff done.  I have a Moby that I love too, but my LO has thought it was too hot this summer too.  Now she wants to face out to see things, so I have to figure out other ways to wrap her in it than the newborn cuddle one.  I took my LO on a 4 mile hike in the Baby Bjorn today.  I hear that the hard core baby wearing community does not like the Bjorn, but I used it for hiking with DD1 also.

Pitch- Yeah!  So glad you have joined us here.

Lily- Very well expressed.  We love them so much it is overwhelming, even when we can feel their tiny little selves driving us crazy.  Ahhh-babies.

AFM-  Met with my student baby sitters today.  They will do well, but it makes me nervous to think about leaving her with anyone.  I am officially back at work.  My syllabi for the semester are done and posted online, one of my classes started last Wednesday and the rest start this Thursday.  I am still trying to work out my older DD's after school care, as I get out an hour after her and the school day care is impacted.  I am bringing LO in to get her 1st vaccine on Friday, the Dtap because we had a whooping cough outbreak in my county 2 years ago and dorms spread these kind of things almost as bad a daycares.  I really hate the shots.  I do one shot at a time, but I do believe in their importance, which puts me at odds with a lot of the MDC community.  I am bracing myself for the return to ordinary life with the addition of a new baby.  

#327 of 356 Old 08-29-2012, 11:45 AM

boots - I'm trying to remember the trick that got side lying to work for me. I think what worked for me was to angle K's head away from me - so his body was up against mine and his shoulders/head were pointed a bit away - that way his nose was more up and away from the breast. I've also seen it suggested to have the baby lying higher up than you would normally think, so you have to point your breast/nipple up into his mouth. For a long time I also found it much easier if I put a pillow behind my back (I'd have DH put it there so he could really push it under me) and lean back onto it, so I was half on my side, half on my back. That pulled the breast a bit away from K so it didn't smother him as much, and made me feel more comfortable that if I fell asleep I wouldn't accidently lean forward onto him. I did need a light on in order to get him to latch properly for quite a while, but now that little munchkin can find the nipple in pitch black, from across the bed, even if I'm still wearing my pajama top - LOL.
Oh, and the only time of day I was ever able to consistently pump when K was little was right after his first morning feeding. I felt like I had a bit of extra milk at that time even once he had drunk his fill. His feedings were just too random the rest of the day, and even if he did go for a few hours without nursing, I always felt more empty by afternoon/evening, and got less pumping then.

LilyTiger - We used to have some days like that too. I think they're normal, just SO hard to survive while you're in the middle of it! With Kayden, he would do a day or two of serious cluster feeding right before a growth spurt. Feed a ton, then sleep a ton, then BAM none of his clothes fit. And I'm so with you on the love/frustration thing. K's newest thing is to kick and punch while nursing - not random waving his feet and arms, but really trying to hit me. Makes em want to strangle him. But it just takes a few minutes and one of his big smiles to get me back over it. There are days when I get really frustrated though and have to just put him in his crib or playpen and walk away and breathe! Then I can re-center myself and start over again smile.gif

CA Country Girl - The vaccine thing is such a personal choice. I think as long as you educate yourself about each vaccine and the disease, then you're in a position to make the best choice - and that has to be the choice that makes YOU feel the most comfortable. I'm mostly anti-vaccine but I think every vaccine has to be weighed on its own individual merits and down sides. We're currently trying to get our hands on a Tetanus-only vaccine (which is apparently impossible in Canada!) because we live on an old farmstead that has TONS of rusty barbed wire, nails, etc, and tetanus is a known concern in our province. But so far we can only get it in a combo shot. Pertussis is another scary one. We decided against it but only because we live in an isolated area and could control his exposure. I think in your situation I'd probably make the same choice as you (though I might look for a pertussis-only shot and not the DTaP combo). I wish every country gave a 1 year paid maternity leave! It makes me so sad that most of my online friends have to go back to work so soon greensad.gif

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#328 of 356 Old 08-29-2012, 12:19 PM

Boots, thanks for the link! And I'd like to join you for the side-lying seminar at Living Sky's placeDid your parents tell you why they were thinking of delaying their trip?

Lily, take care of those boobies. I highly recommend Ameda Comfort Hydrogel pads. The first few weeks are so demanding, especially when the feeding is relentless.

CountryGirl, good luck with the new semester! I'm glad you were able to find someone you trust to watch the baby. I'm going back to work next week and I'm so sad. We were lucky and inherited both a Moby and a Bjorn from a friend who is done having children, but I found the Bjorn put too much strain on my shoulders. I love my Boba 3G, though.

Erica, how are you feeling? Is your hospital bag packed?

Pitch, congrats on your little guy! Hope you have a wonderful second trimester!

Andaluza, what a sweet little guy! Love the jersey!

LivingSky, thank you so much for all the breastfeeding advice!

Sorry for the one-liners. Hope everyone is doing well!

#329 of 356 Old 08-29-2012, 02:12 PM

Woah... I missed a ton of messages! I'm glad I can come here and talk to you guys about breastfeeding and all that everyone is going through... so reassuring!! I always wonder what the hell I'm going to do breastfeeding with one boob. I've read a lot and everyone seems to say that it's going to be the same for me and it is for a mom with twins... I hope I can do it. It's the only dang reason I saved the one. So um. My Dr is a big liar. She said I had lost my mucous plug... mmmmm... no. That happened last night and this am. Way noticeable! My due date is manana as is my mom's birthday, so we're going out to celebrate tonight for some dinner... we all keep thinking this baby is coming tomorrow or Friday because Friday is the blue moon... the second full moon of the month which doesn't happen too often. Trying not to get my hopes up, but we shall see!

pitch: Yay on the boy!! Glad to see you on here and doing well.

Caly: Bags areee packed and waiting by the front door. Taunting me. wink1.gif

erica (33) hubs (36)
Ruby Mae , 9/1/12

Breast cancer survivor!
#330 of 356 Old 08-29-2012, 07:31 PM

Living Sky- thanks for the support despite differing experiences and preferences!  There is lots of bitter debate on the vaccine forum.  I agonize over every vaccine choice, but end up getting many of them for my kids.  I guess the danger and fear of the illnesses wins out for me.  We keep our tetanus up to date because of our lifestyle and DH's work (he is always cutting himself on something weird).  We both got Dtap boosters last year for T and because we wanted to protect friends' infants from pertussis when it was around.  I am lucky as far as a working mom goes.  In addition to really liking what I do, I take baby with me T/Th and M/W I come home for almost 2 hours between classes to nurse her and hang out (M/W nanny is an awesome grandmother type who my friend has used for 5 years- both girls love her and I am forced to speak spanish, which is good for me).  I will always be home by 4 pm and I get to work from home on fridays.  My older DD did really well with this kind of schedule and actually loved coming to school with me.  In some ways it is the best of both worlds- get to be primary caregiver most of the time and still do work I love.  However, I totally agree that we need to have a year of paid maternity leave here!

Caly- Good luck going back to work.  It is so hard to not be with them, but makes the snuggles when they are back in your arms so sweet.  Our little girls are 2 months!  Crazy.

Erica- Our bodies adapt.  I see no reason while you will not be a breast feeding champion.  We already know who much of a tough "chick" you are. Hopefully the blue moon will coach Ruby out.

Tags
Pregnancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page