Side Effects of Diclectin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been throwing up 6-10 times a day for 4 weeks now and dont feel I am keeping any sort of nutrients down. I have a stomach ache alot which the pain and bloating triggers me to feel sick. I havent moved past eating bananas, bread and crackers for a while now. My midwife says she can give me a diclectin prescription next week at my first visit, but I have no idea what that will do to me or the baby. What are the side effects?

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 06:38 AM

I don't kmow anything about it, but I'm guessing it's safe if your midwife is considering it. I googled it and found this:
Quote:
•Diclectin® scored the highest safety rating "A" in Briggs' Reference Guide to Fetal and Neonatal Risk.
I hope you feel better soon!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 09:46 AM

The biggest side effect I've heard of from a number of friends who have taken it is that it can make you pretty drowsy at first. That's one of the reasons why you usually take it at night. The other reason is that it's a time release medication so it takes a few hours to kick in.

As far as I've read, it's considered very safe for baby and you, and can make a world of difference if you are at the point where you are miserable, having trouble getting enough nutrition and staying hydrated.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#4 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 05:05 PM

In my experience, the side effect is awesomeness. I don't know how I would have survived this pregnancy without it.

Mom to DD1 reading.gif (11) & DD2 shine.gif homebirth.jpg(7) & DS babyboy.gif  h20homebirth.gif (9/10/12)

#5 of 12 Old 06-26-2012, 05:09 PM

It made me feel very drowsy but it was better than the constant nausea feeling. I took it during my first pregnancy and the current one as well. I stopped taking it at around 13 weeks when the nausea disappeared.

Mama to Sunshine (9/06), the Duke (4/09), and little chickadee (9/12).
#6 of 12 Old 06-27-2012, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We don't have it in the U.S. but I did take Unisom, which has the same active ingredient as Diclectin. If you search the forums there's at least one post floating around with a link to a site that has a bunch of studies that have been done on the use of Diclectin in pregnancy. In Canada it's classified among the safest drugs, and like MamanFrancaise said, the main side effect is definitely awesomeness. Made a huge difference for me (took it through about week 23-24). 

#7 of 12 Old 06-28-2012, 08:24 AM

Drowsiness is side effect, but when I took it it helped with the nausea and vomiting so much that I felt like I had MORE energy. I was still a bit queasy when I took it but it allowed me to eat a wider variety of foods and really increased my quality of life.
#8 of 12 Old 06-28-2012, 08:49 AM

i LOVE DICLECTIN.

and my baby, now 8, is just fine.

#9 of 12 Old 07-06-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

No kidding about the drowsiness! I am exhausted, like its difficult to keep my eyes open

It helped at first, now this is my 3rd day and i still am throwing up...I can take 4 pills a day and I need all 4, sigh...hopefully it gets better 

A Toronto born young mama blowkiss.giffreshly moved for a new adventure in ALBERTA! with Superdaddy superhero.gifand her intact and vax free, breastfed and babyworn Aug09 babenono02.gif attending college for early childhood educationwhale.gif   and being blessed with #2 just in time for Valentines Dayheartbeat.gif pos.gif

#10 of 12 Old 07-06-2012, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Poor thing. :( Sorry it's not quite doing the trick. Hang in there.

#11 of 12 Old 07-06-2012, 07:33 PM

Have you tried changing the times you take them? Do you usually get sick at a specific time per day (morning, evening, etc?). 

I would feel worse in the evenings so I took 1 before bed, 1 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. 

Hopefully that will help you. I'm so sorry you're still miserable. I hope this passes quickly.

Mom to DD1 reading.gif (11) & DD2 shine.gif homebirth.jpg(7) & DS babyboy.gif  h20homebirth.gif (9/10/12)

#12 of 12 Old 07-07-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! I tried taking 2 at once this morning and I havent been sick at all!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page