New at this whole thing.... HELP PLEASE! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-29-2012, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mornin'!

I am now just two days late for my period, but it is something that is not normal for me. After realizing that it wasn't going to come yesterday, I took a pregnancy test yesterday evening around 5:00pm and got a pretty dark second line, meaning there is a bun in the oven! 

BUT.. I have been reading on the internet that it could be a possible chemical pregnancy. I definitely don't want that, but I am hoping my nerves are just getting the best of me. Is a chemical pregnancy still possible? Other websites are showing I conceived on June 10, 2012... 

This will be my first child, so I am new to all of this. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

#2 of 7 Old 06-30-2012, 10:39 PM

I think chemical pregnancies are relatively rare. Odds are good this is the real thing.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#3 of 7 Old 07-01-2012, 07:50 AM

It's probably not a chemical pregnancy. They are pretty rare. Join the March DDC for ladies who are also getting pregnant right now.

http://www.mothering.com/community/groups/show/34/march-2013-ddc

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#4 of 7 Old 07-01-2012, 08:37 AM

Chemical pregnancies are NOT rare, they are incredibly common, that being said, with a chemical pregnancy, your tests would get lighter and lighter. All a chemical pregnancy is is a miscarriage before 5 weeks, basically, you would have positive tests, but nothing would show up on an ultrasound because it is too early, and then your period would come somewhat late. If you are 2 days late and got a good second line,  it sounds really promising! 

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#5 of 7 Old 07-01-2012, 09:57 AM

How common are they actually? I can't seem to find any real statistics on how often they occur, but overall it seems that most women under 35 have about a 15% miscarriage rate, and of that rate 50-75% of those are chemical pregnancies. So, wouldnt that mean that even on the higher end, it would be that 75% of the overall 15% of miscariages would be about 11.5%- I'd consider that pretty rare. But I have no way of knowing what age group the OP is in.

For someone who is excited about their first pregnancy and has no history of miscarriage, I'd say that it is probably better to allow yourself to get excited and be happy than to constantly be worrying about miscarriage.
I do continue to take hpt's after I get a bfp just to make sure my lines are getting darker, not lighter. If you are worried, you can always take more tests.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 7 Old 07-01-2012, 01:43 PM

About half of all fertilized eggs do not result in a viable pregnancy, but by the time you've missed a period, the risk is already much, much lower. Unfortunately my source isn't available online (it's an excellent book by science researcher Jon Cohen called Coming to Term: Uncovering the Truth about Miscarriage) but you can also see this information in a fairly reliable source here.

That said, brittanynm, you very probably will have a wonderful and healthy pregnancy - most pregnancies are!

#7 of 7 Old 07-01-2012, 01:52 PM

And CONGRATULATIONS on your pregnancy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page