Mothering Forum banner

Can anyone help me narrow down my due date from my quantitive HCG number?

821 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  finnegansmom 
#1 ·
My midwife is not certain of my due date yet and the suspense is killing me. My last for sure period was April 28th and I have a 25 day cycle (not 28). I also had bleeding when my next period was due on May 25th, but it was lighter. When my period was due this month I took a test the day it was due at night time and it was blaring positive. Because it was so positive my midwife thinks I'm 10 weeks now instead of possibly 6. She did an exam earlier in the week and said the uterus is small, perhaps 9 weeks, but it's hard to tell. I've been pregnant a few times before. Each time I never showed even slightly positive until 5 or more days late. This was a blaring positive.

So, we did a quantitive HCG blood test.

My numbers were about 21,000. Does that sound like 9 weeks or 6? Any help would be appreciated. :)

#3 ·
Using HCG levels to date a pregnancy is very not very accurate. They are mostly used to 1. Confirm pregnancy and 2. to monitor an early pregnancy that might miscarry.

http://www.babymed.com/hcg-level-in-early-pregnancy --- There is a chart at the bottom that gives HCG ranges per week of pregnancy. (But like I mentioned above I wouldn't use it to definitively date the pregnancy).

If you are truly unsure of the dates you're best bet an early ultrasound.

#4 ·
Thank you guys. :) My midwife is sending me for an ultrasound today to narrow down a due date. I'm praying for a heart beat. I'm feeling very good about this pregnancy, but I'm scared to get too excited yet.

#5 ·
Honestly, that could be 6 weeks pregnant or 9 weeks. HCG starts going down again around 8 weeks, and at 6 weeks is still rapidly rising. Ultrasound is your best bet, can't wait to hear how it turns out!

#6 ·
the ultrasound went well, I think. I'm not 10 weeks, I'm 6. They couldn't see the actual baby yet, but did see a gestational sack with lots of blood flow. I was told it's common to not see a baby yet at this point. I have another one in 2 weeks to rule out a blighted ovum, but my midwife thinks all is fine due to the blood flow and my high hcg levels. So, I'm remaining positive and calm. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.