7 weeks pregnant and my progesterone keeps dropping, should I be worried? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2012, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 7 weeks (tomorrow) and my midwife had me test my HCG levels and progesterone last week since I have had loses in the past. My HCG last week was almost 21,000 and my progesterone was a little low. She put me on progesterone pills (prescription). We tested again yesterday a full 7 days later and my HCG is now at 69,000 (yay!!) but my progesterone is continuing to drop. :( She is having me double my progesterone pills. Should I be worried? Am I at a risk to miscarry with my progesterone levels dropping still? I'm confused because I don't understand why it's low to begin with and why it's dropping still. Is my body trying to misscarry? Should the pills sustain my pregnancy? Any advice? Thanks!!!

Last week:

HCG 20,065

Progesterone: 11.0

Yesterday (7 days later)

HCG 69,000

Progesterone 10.3

Rebecca, artist mom to Hannah (6), Nathaniel (born too soon)angel2.gif, and wife to Marcus and expecting our baby bear in Feb. h20homebirth.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 01:12 PM

I'm sorry you going through this right now.  I don't have a yes or no answer for you, but I do know that progesterone levels can fluctuate.  There is not a huge difference between 11.0 and 10..3.  Are you taking oral or suppositories?  The suppositories may not show up in a blood test.

Your HCG #s are rising and that's a good thing! 

Me & DH, DS 12/07superhero.gif, DD 10/12 luxlove.gif  and puppy love dog2.gif.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I'm taking the oral pills. And thank you!

Rebecca, artist mom to Hannah (6), Nathaniel (born too soon)angel2.gif, and wife to Marcus and expecting our baby bear in Feb. h20homebirth.gif

Old 07-12-2012, 04:39 PM

You could ask for the suppositories or the shots, they are supposed to be more effective than the pills.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
Old 07-13-2012, 12:33 PM

Are you on prometrium? Those can be taken orally or vaginally. I was told vaginally was more effective. I was on 200 mg once per day vaginally and saw my progesterone go up about 10 points once I started taking them. I was told typically 200 mg will raise your levels about 10 points, and you want your levels to be around 20-30 in the first 12 weeks.

Good luck. I hope everything works out.

Newly SAHM to DD - 11/30/06 and DS - 1/3/10 * 10 week loss 10/13/11 * Cautiously expecting a September Surprise

Old 07-13-2012, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I want to second what Wissa said.  Progesterone levels can fluctuate quite a bit, not just from week to week but from hour to hour.  So the difference you had is not very big and if you tested again the next day it might be different.  My doctor also prescribed 200mg twice a day vaginally.  Same pills as the others described that can be taken orally or vaginally.  Good luck to you!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:53 PM

I have the same problem with progesterone being low during beginning of pregnancy. I agree with what others here have said vaginal suppositories are supposed to be better than pills so I would switch to those asap.  The cause of my progesterone being low is due to a condition called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, low progesterone is a concern because it can contribute to pregnancy loss. I would not be too overly worried about yours as I read a range of 9-20 is normal.  Mine had dipped down to a 7 in beginning.  Good luck with everything!

User Tag List