Tips to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 07-16-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This post is sponsored by Avishi Organics

Preventing stretch marks during pregnancy

About 75% to 90% of women develop stretch marks during pregnancy. One of our sponsors, Avishi Organics, has an all-natural stretch mark Intensive Repair Oil that they'd love to share with the Mothering community!  Avishi Organics is offering Mothering readers a 25% discount on the purchase of its Intensive Repair Oil. Go to www.avishiorganics.com, and use coupon code mothering25 during checkout. It's valid until 31st August 2012!

Just when you think you are home free with a smooth belly, stretch marks, at times, seem to pop up almost overnight during the third trimester. The good news is that by applying the following tips early in your pregnancy, stretch marks can be prevented from developing:

iStock_000013710158Small.jpg

The nutritional connection

Stretch marks, at the time they form, are almost always a result of low zinc levels.  This is partly why teenagers are so prone to them – hormonal changes, stress, and increased consumption of sugary/junk foods all deplete zinc. During pregnancy, zinc deficiency is particularly common because of the high demand for the mineral by the little peanut growing in your womb! The most bio-available sources of zinc come from red meat and oysters. Vegetarian sources include seaweed, flaxseed/oil, nuts and seeds. 

Stay hydrated 

This cannot be over-stated. Drink more water! Lack of hydration can lead to dry, flaky, itchy skin – and dry skin does not stretch as easily as hydrated skin, which makes stretch marks more likely to occur.

Keep it supple

A German study by Wierrani (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1609525) et al titled “Attempt of preventive treatment of striae gravidarum using preventive massage ointment administration”, suggests that two-thirds of women who apply a stretch mark oil/cream do not experience stretch marks. Regularly massaging a stretch mark oil to all stretch mark prone areas can greatly assist with replenishing your skin’s natural oils thereby assisting with skin elasticity and preventing stretch marks from forming. 

Avishi Organic’s Intensive Repair Oil not only keeps skin supple and hydrated through your pregnancy, but also contains powerful skin-cell regenerating ingredients that work hard to smoothen skin texture, encourage elasticity and enhance the repair process. “After the baby was born, I noticed that I did not experience the same creping that I had with my first birth and that my skin had more elasticity to it,” said a reviewer after using Avishi’s Intensive Repair Oil. 

IMG_6890.jpg

Get some exercise

Exercising helps keep your muscles and skin firm, and improves circulation – This improved circulation means that your skin will get more of the nutrients it needs to stay supple, elastic and healthy. Always consult your healthcare practitioner before starting an exercise regimen during pregnancy.

Ease the itch

For many women, there is a definite correlation between itchy skin and the subsequent development of stretch marks. Reviewers of Avishi Organics’ Intensive Repair Oil say that it really helps control the itch during pregnancy:

• “…It worked wonders on my itchy belly in my last stretch of pregnancy”

• “…I do feel that it has helped to relieve the belly itch and smooth my skin.”

• “…The itching and burning on my skin has completely disappeared and the oil smells amazing.”

You can check out more reviews here

Go natural

Considering that many pharmaceutical drugs are administered through skin patches, it is evident that the skin absorbs a lot of what is applied to it . In fact, in a study by the Environmental Working Group (http://www.ewg.org/reports/bodyburden2/execsumm.php?print_version=1) researchers found an average of 200 industrial chemicals and pollutants in umbilical cord blood from babies born in U.S. hospitals; these chemicals included consumer product ingredients, pesticides and wastes from burning coal, gasoline, and garbage. Avishi Organics’ Intensive Repair Oil is made from pure botanical extracts and oils that are renowned for their powerful healing properties; it is free from chemicals, fragrances, colors, parabens, sulfates and other toxic ingredients, and is safe for use during pregnancy and breastfeeding.

In conclusion, the best way to combat stretch marks is a combination of internal and external interventions. A nutrient-dense diet, exercise, topical oil massage, avoidance of chemicals, and plenty of water all contribute to healthy skin during and after pregnancy.

mommytooneangel likes this.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page