itching like crazy at 36.5 weeks!!?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-20-2012, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone been HORRIBLY itchy during pregnancy? It just started last night and now its tonight too... itching like crazy everywhere. Up on the computer right now because couldn't sleep, too itchy. 37 weeks pregnant and just googled it and read that its a sign of a dangerous liver disease (ICP). Anyone hear of this or have this? Anyone have horrible itchiness in pregnancy and it turn out not to be this?  Thanks so much in advance!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 07-21-2012, 09:07 AM

Itching can just be dry, stretchy, skin but yes, it can be a sign of choleostasis which can be dangerous. Other symptoms are dark urine and pale stools. I think it's definitely worth checking in with your care provider just to make sure everything's OK.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#3 of 4 Old 07-21-2012, 01:36 PM

Look up PUPPPS, sounds like exactly what I had, it did not turn out the be the really serious condition, and everything turned out ok (figured I would start with that to offer some anecdotal relief)

But it is HORRIBLE, and I scratched myself to the point of broken blood vessels and could not sleep. I tried EVERYTHING! Had husband out buying calamine lotion, tried over the counter cortisone creams...My midwife eventually sent me to the dermatologist who prescribed an even stronger steroid cream, which I used because I was so miserable...

It was not until I spoke with the midwife of my sister in law that I was able to solve the problem...The idea behind the itching, as told to me by the midwife, is that your liver is being over exerted during the end of pregnancy, and it is not able to process all the toxins that it usually can.  This presents itself as itchiness as the toxins that are not processed begin to enter the bloodstream and cause INTENSE itching all over...

She recommended the following, which I was skeptical of...get a tincture of Milk Thistle, and a few bottles of mineral water...begin taking 3 doses of Milk Thistle a day (following whatever rec is on bottle just 3x a day) and drink it with a few cups of mineral water, lets say 8oz, at least 2x a day...

I swear to you that this stopped my itching the very next morning...I continued taking through the end of pregnancy, and if it had not been for her help, I would have begged to be induced since the only way to solve is delivery...

I also offered this remedy to a friend who had same symptoms, and it worked for her immediately too...Check w/provider, but I promise you it works, and had no adverse outcomes for me, luckily I haven't had it this time around... Hope you can get some relief! hug2.gif

cd.gifsaynovax.gifbftoddler.gifMom to Seraphina, expecting baby girl # 2 in Aug 2012 redface.gif

#4 of 4 Old 07-25-2012, 10:26 PM

Ditto Mama Monez. I had PUPPPS and it was miserable!! I have a friend who had it and they suggested dandelion root, which cleared hers up right away. 

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page