Whooping Cough Exposure While Pregnant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-27-2012, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mods, feel free to move this, not sure where it should go. Just want to ask this.

I got a text this morning from my brother-in-law wanting to know if our doctor is in today. He thinks their 15 month old son might have whooping cough. I was around the little guy last night and he seemed fine. I'm not sure why they thing that's what he has, but it concerns me. I am 25 weeks pregnant with my first. I was fully vax as a child, I had my last booster for it when I was 5 1/2, so something like 27 yrs ago. I am pretty much non vax, but this does give me pause to think. I'm going to call and at least talk to the dr's wife, just to ease my mind. She is a nurse beside the fact she's been married to this amazing MD/naturalist for 41 years.  My MW basically said stay away from sugar and do things to boost my immunity, get fresh air and pray. Can do that too!

So what are your thoughts and experiences? I'm not worried about myself so much as my baby.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#2 of 2 Old 07-27-2012, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was working in a high school the last time I was pregnant, and there was a kid who kept coming to school even though he had some pretty obvious whooping cough.  It was pretty nervewracking for me at the time, and yeah, like you I had a vaccine as a child years and years ago, so I tried to stay the heck away from him, and wash my hands a lot, etc.  Fortunately nothing bad happened as a result.  To be safe though, I'd stay away from the unlucky victim until the coughing is gone (which unfortunately takes FOREVER).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page