how often should you feel baby move after first time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 17 weeks pregnant and I felt the baby move for the first time 3 days ago. I've been dying to feel he/she move and I'm pretty positive it was movement.

A lot of woman report it feeling like flutters, or gas bubbles. I've felt gas bubbles but the way I eat I'm sure it was only my stomach. Then I was feeling as if I "lost my stomach" like if you drive over small hills fast. Or this twisting feeling.

The other day I was lying down and I felt a very distinct feeling, that could be nothing but movement. It felt as if they raised their arm and moved it back down. It was also RIGHT under my belly button where the baby is. I was SO excited! But I haven't felt anything since, and that was 3 days ago. Is my fetal movement slow? how soon after the first time do you feel it again? A little worried over here!

TTC since July 2011  neg.gif

BFP on April 27th 2012   thumbsup.gif pos.gifjoy.gif

Gave birth to a BEAUTIFUL baby girl January 10th 2013. Never have been so blessed!

Baby Dust to everyone!!

dust.gif

#2 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 12:09 AM

This is normal! You might feel movements, for sure movement, one day, and then not again for several days after. I think it's kinda a crapshoot, of sorts, for the first several weeks you feel that for sure movement. As much as you crave it, it comes and goes. Later on, say, 28+ weeks or so, you will feel it super crazy frequently and you'll know when it's a possible concern if a day or so has gone by w/o feeling anything. For now, though, enjoy the flutters as they come.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#3 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

The first ones I only feel faint things about every 3 days. In a few weeks you'll feel every day then many a day.

#4 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

As the PP said, it took me until about 28 weeks I think before I started feeling anything like consistent movement (I felt the first movement at 17 weeks, but then nothing for a while).  Even until 35 weeks or so I was calling this kid the ninja because I really couldn't feel much movement.  Now I feel it all the time.  Totally normal. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#5 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 12:43 AM

Enjoy it while it lasts (the more infrequent movement). I was lucky (or unlucky??) to feel movement daily consistently from about week 16 - and this kid NEVER STOPS. Since about week 20 it's been all day every day all night constant party time in there. I'm so sore and tender and tiiiiired. I'd rather the movement than worry about it, but holy crap, does it ever sleep?!

Mom to 4 cat.gif, 1 dog2.gif, a 5g betta tank , 3 fiddler crabs, and a 156g stock tank pond with goldfish and lilypads!
IUI#4 success! Welcome Guy V 11/14/12

#6 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 06:51 AM

I agree with PP, enjoy it while it lasts. Eventually you will be getting so much movement you will have to pee so bad, you might not be able to sleep through it, and it will make you tired.

When I first felt DD move, it was at about 20 weeks, and I would feel her every couple of days after that. I couldnt do any sort of kick count or anything like that.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#7 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 12:53 PM

Oh the peeing. So I got up to pee 5 times between 2am and 10am this morning. It was jumping jacks day in my uterus, not surprised.

Mom to 4 cat.gif, 1 dog2.gif, a 5g betta tank , 3 fiddler crabs, and a 156g stock tank pond with goldfish and lilypads!
IUI#4 success! Welcome Guy V 11/14/12

#8 of 9 Old 08-03-2012, 09:51 AM

It is normal to feel the baby very infrequently at first, this will gradually pick up. By 24 weeks it will be consistent movement, by 28 weeks the baby will be keeping you up at night. At 32 weeks you will think the baby invited some friends over for a dance party.

Fetal Movement

#9 of 9 Old 08-03-2012, 10:24 AM

I'm with everyone else, it's normal only to feel them here and there at first!  I love those first flutters (feeling like little bubbles popping inside of me) and I always stop what I'm doing when I feel them.  I've been feeling them for about a week now (15 weeks with #6) but I don't feel them every day.  I know it won't be long before I'm feeling them all the time, and it will be the same way for you!  Enjoy <3

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page