Braxton Hicks, Prodomal, or Preterm Labor signs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-05-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I posted in my DDC but thought I'd post here too:

I have been having contractions lately that I am very unsure of. I've been having them off and on for the past two weeks. I have had plenty of braxton hicks with my two previous pregnancies but they never felt like this. It seems to be happening more in the past few days. Its sporadic but when it happens I can have several of these contractions within an hour. They probably only last for 30 seconds. But they are painful and I do feel pressure in my pelvis and bottom area. Laying down helps but sometimes I still have them while laying down, although not as intense. I tried calling my midwife to chat with her about this today but she didn't answer any of the three phone numbers I have for her. Thoughts? 

#2 of 11 Old 08-05-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldshakerz View Post

I posted in my DDC but thought I'd post here too:

I have been having contractions lately that I am very unsure of. I've been having them off and on for the past two weeks. I have had plenty of braxton hicks with my two previous pregnancies but they never felt like this. It seems to be happening more in the past few days. Its sporadic but when it happens I can have several of these contractions within an hour. They probably only last for 30 seconds. But they are painful and I do feel pressure in my pelvis and bottom area. Laying down helps but sometimes I still have them while laying down, although not as intense. I tried calling my midwife to chat with her about this today but she didn't answer any of the three phone numbers I have for her. Thoughts? 

Look for a new care provider? What if you are in labor and she isnt answering? That's not great.

How far along are you? If this were me, I would go into an ER and get checked out. Preterm labor is serious stuff. You've given birth twice, you know what BH feels like. The fact that you are getting pressure in your bottom is a sign that this might not be regular old BH.  Do you know how to check how dilated you are? If not, Id go in just for a cervical exam. Hopefully you've been able to get ahold of your midwife my now.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 11 Old 08-05-2012, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

How far along are you?  I'm due tomorrow and have been having something similar for about two weeks now.  I've been woken up by contractions in the middle of the night but also have period like cramps and pelvic pressure throughout the day.  My doctor says it's pre-labor and that until the contractions have a rhythm and are coming consistently, it's just the body getting ready for labor. 

If you are preterm (which it sounds like you are), it might be worth getting a non-stress test just to see what's going on and whether things are moving too quickly.  It sounds pretty normal to me, but I have no idea where you are in your pregnancy. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#4 of 11 Old 08-05-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

I am 34w2d. After taking a bath I lay down to rest and took a nap. The feelings of pressure are gone and I'm just back to normal/occasional painless BH contractions. This happened yesterday too, but like today it didn't last more than an hour and went away when I rested. So I'm thinking its prelabor/prodromal labor possibly. If they had continued on and if they had gotten stronger, I absolutely would go to the ER. It would be so nice if my midwife would answer her phone! What I really wanted was a cervical check to ease my mind and avoid a visit to the ER - because I don't know how to check that myself, I wish I could. But if this happens again tomorrow and I still haven't reached her, I think it would be wise to get a cervical check even if it means going to the hospital. And I do believe I will be looking for a new care provider. Her cell phone is supposed to be how to reach her if you think you are going into labor of if you have important questions like I did today but she didn't answer nor did she call back. Let's say a few weeks from now I am actually in labor and this happens? What will happen is she will likely miss the birth - labor for my daughter was only 2 hours and 45 minutes! 

#5 of 11 Old 08-05-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldshakerz View Post

I am 34w2d. After taking a bath I lay down to rest and took a nap. The feelings of pressure are gone and I'm just back to normal/occasional painless BH contractions. This happened yesterday too, but like today it didn't last more than an hour and went away when I rested. So I'm thinking its prelabor/prodromal labor possibly. If they had continued on and if they had gotten stronger, I absolutely would go to the ER. It would be so nice if my midwife would answer her phone! What I really wanted was a cervical check to ease my mind and avoid a visit to the ER - because I don't know how to check that myself, I wish I could. But if this happens again tomorrow and I still haven't reached her, I think it would be wise to get a cervical check even if it means going to the hospital. And I do believe I will be looking for a new care provider. Her cell phone is supposed to be how to reach her if you think you are going into labor of if you have important questions like I did today but she didn't answer nor did she call back. Let's say a few weeks from now I am actually in labor and this happens? What will happen is she will likely miss the birth - labor for my daughter was only 2 hours and 45 minutes! 

Or lets say in a few days you go into labor, and you are already dialated to 5 and dont know it because she come check on you? Not professional, IMO.

Im glad things slowed back down for you. 34w, 2 days is YIKES to be having real contractions though. I do wonder if maybe you should get a NST or see an OB, just in case. Planned parenthood will do a cervical check, so I wouldnt go to the er if you can go to a clinic. Even the health department should be able to do it for you. I cant check myself, it's hard to gauge.

With my son, I had prodromal labor from 36 weeks on...it was miserable, but the labor was only 3 hours.

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 11 Old 08-05-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

You are right! It is very unprofessional indeed. Tomorrow I will get checked out one way or another. I will check around for a clinic first, that's a great idea.  

#7 of 11 Old 08-05-2012, 07:05 PM

With all 3 of my babies, I had contractions for weeks.  It sounds like your body is getting ready!  Try to drink lots of water, preterm labor can be brought on by dehydration.  It sounds like your midwife isn't taking your concerns seriously. Getting checked is a good idea!

#8 of 11 Old 08-06-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Got checked by my midwife today. I'm about 1 1/2 cm when she says in normal for a mom who's already had a few babies. I'm about 40% effaced but the baby is still high up. So she says its just my body starting to prep early for the real thing. She says I'll probably have a fast birth again when real labor happens. She sent in a urine sample just to make sure I don't have a UTI but the pee stick didn't show any leukacytes. She says it does look like I have a mild yeast infection though.

#9 of 11 Old 08-06-2012, 01:50 PM

Good about the keeping closed- crappy about the yeast!

SIDS happens. 

#10 of 11 Old 08-07-2012, 07:27 AM

I'm 36 weeks 4 days and last week I had intense pressure on my tailbone.  I've been having sporatic menstrual like cramps for the past several weeks now but ever since about 4PM yesterday, the cramping hasn't gone away.  It hasn't gotten any worse, remains the same.  Pretty consistent, but not like contractions you can actually time.  I feel silly calling my OB because he is very laid back and always says, until they are regular, no need to worry.  This is my 3rd baby and I've never experienced anything like this before.  Wondering if I'm starting labor or if my body is just starting to get ready?  Posted on this thread because it sounds kind of similar to what others are experiencing.

#11 of 11 Old 08-08-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Well, this is also my third pregnancy - each pregnancy has been completely different in many ways. I felt better after seeing my midwife and getting checked out. It won't hurt to call your OB, that's what they are there for.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page