Bacterial Vaginosis- 26 weeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-07-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Has anyone had to deal with bv during pregnancy?  I was just diagnosed as having "the beginnings of BV" per the culture my mw did last week.  I had her check me due to symptoms of burning while urination, slight itching and irritation.   She suggested antibiotics, but I really don't want to go that route unless it's absolutely necessary.  

I've dealt with bv in the past and the antibiotics were not helpful and it kept coming back.  I would love any natural/alternative treatments that were helpful to you.  For now I'm taking Fem-dophilus, eating yogurt and using it internally (also using the probiotics internally) and taking sitz baths with baking soda.  I don't know what else is safe.  

Married to DH, Mama to dd1 4/06, dd2 8/07, dd3 11/12 and #4 stork-boy.gif due 9/2014!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 08-07-2012, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used garlic during my last pregnancy, and my bff does the same thing when she even thinks she might be getting something, lol. peel a clove and insert vaginally. I can taste it in my mouth as long as it's in there, just as a warning. good luck.

Jenny
married to M
mama to Z (9), S (6), G1 (3), G2 (1) and someone new! expected Jan 2013
#3 of 14 Old 08-12-2012, 08:35 AM

BV is a contributing factor for issues that cause preterm labor, like PROM.  I'd use the antibiotics.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#4 of 14 Old 08-12-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

I am aware of the risk of preterm labor, although my mw didn't seem overly concerned about that- I think especially because there weren't strong bv indicators, but only the beginnings of it. I'd love to see statistics on how many women with bv actually do go into preterm labor- I sense from other research that I've done that the risk of that is overly inflated.  For now I'm trying the garlic cloves internally and will continue to monitor things.

I have done antibiotics for bv in the past- both systemic and vaginal cream, and the bv only came back with a vengence.  I'm trusting my intuition that I need a gentler approach to restore balance and not wipe out everything.  I'm also concerned about giving birth without adequate vaginal flora.  My first daughter was born while I was on several round of antibiotics (for double ear infections, of all things).  She has extensive food sensitivities and celiac disease.  She has had major gut issues and I do believe that the state of my gut and vaginal flora played a role in that.  I am doing my best to eat lots of ferments and consume lots of probiotics to avoid that this time.  

For sure it's a delicate balance to try to weigh the risks and benefits of the various options versus what's in the best interest of me and my baby.

FaithF likes this.

Married to DH, Mama to dd1 4/06, dd2 8/07, dd3 11/12 and #4 stork-boy.gif due 9/2014!
#5 of 14 Old 11-08-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Sorry to bump this thread but im just wondering if you got it cured yet with the garlic?

I found out I had BV last august after giving birth to DS now its been a little over a year and i still have it but now im 12 weeks pregnant and freaking out. I ignored it because i thought it was gone since the symptoms didnt bother me. though i had mild burning sensations in my pelvis so im very concerned it might be PID.

My first appointment with my midwife is in two weeks and reading about risks of bv in preganancy im freaking out! greensad.gif
#6 of 14 Old 11-08-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, the garlic did not cure it for me.  I ended up using metrogel, which didn't seem to be helping either.  Prior to the metrogel, I had been trying this herbal oil formula called Restore.  Here is the link  http://naturallyhealthy.org/intimatesolutions.php

This product didn't seem to work on it's own, but I combined it with the metrogel (used metrogel at night and oil in AM and a couple times throughout the day).  The symptoms were pretty much gone.  A few weeks later I was reswabbed and bv was gone.

However, my symptoms seemed to come back- but this time after several more swabs, I don't have bv.  It's very strange and my midwives don't have any answers.  I wonder if it's just my body reacting to hormones and am hoping it will go away once I have the baby (I'm due in a few days).

I did find a lot of relief from symptoms by taking nightly baking soda baths and also trying to alkalize my body (drinking apple cider vinegar, and lots of green juices, and eating more veggies).  I get a twinge of burning or itching occasionally but for the most part it's not noticeable.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, it's an awful thing to endure.  Can you go to your primary or regular gyn if you're really concerned, while waiting for your midwife appointment?  I would think if you had PID that you would have other signs of infection- fever, fatigue, etc.  But I'm not a dr. so I don't know.  The fact that you got pregnant would seem to me that your pelvis is healthy.  I wish you the best of luck!

#7 of 14 Old 11-08-2012, 07:14 PM

Try sitz bath with apple cider vinegar because it works immediately!!!!!!!

#8 of 14 Old 11-09-2012, 06:51 AM

I had the best luck with hydrogen peroxide. The bv bacteria is anaerobic, so the hydrogen peroxide kills it lol. While pregnant with my oldest, I was diagnosed with bv and prescribed both flagyl and metrogel. Discovered later that one or the other (can't remember now, it's been some years) can damage developing teeth in the fetus. Yup, my son had a line across his baby teeth when they came in, it looked horrible, like we were neglectful parents who never brushed....not true, of course!
During my second pgy, I was diagnosed again and did some research on it. I learned about the hydrogen peroxide option, tried it, and have had not a whisper of.bv since then (dd is 7.5, so it's been 8 years).
#9 of 14 Old 11-09-2012, 08:12 AM

I have dealt with BV (though not while pregnant), and although many things that help with a yeast infection ease the symptoms, they often do not address the persistance of BV (5+ outbreaks per year for a few years).  One thing that did help - though I went through about 3 cycles of it - the symptoms were addressed quickly and the cycles were further apart : http://www.yincare.com/  It was recommended by my Doctor of Chinese Medicine - it was pretty great.  Again, I did not do this while pregnant, and it did take a few cycles to clear everything up, so you'd have to do some research to see if this is an option for you at this time- but I'm four years free now - which is great.

Good luck.   

Live in Vancouver, Canada.  Pregnant with first baby.  Work in democratic/free schooling.  Partnered. stillheart.gif

#10 of 14 Old 11-12-2012, 09:14 AM

Ladies when you say youve used Hydrogen Peroxide, how do you use it? A wash? A douche?

I suffer from constant BV. Ive found that not using soap or taking bubble baths helps. I also use 3-4 drops of GSE mixed with Sweet almond oil and apply before bed that is the only thing that has seemed to work for me.

#11 of 14 Old 11-13-2012, 06:19 PM

I also suffer from this or yeasties when prg with girls.... so thinking this is a girl. no one has ever been able to nail down what it is or why so persistent. with the first garlic seemed to work short term.  with the last girl... the antibiotics helped mostly.  This time already had a something going on since before i found out i was preg.  Going to see the midwife on Thurs to get more ideas and interested to hear how the hydrogen peroxide works.

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#12 of 14 Old 11-14-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey pants View Post

Ladies when you say youve used Hydrogen Peroxide, how do you use it? A wash? A douche?
I suffer from constant BV. Ive found that not using soap or taking bubble baths helps. I also use 3-4 drops of GSE mixed with Sweet almond oil and apply before bed that is the only thing that has seemed to work for me.
Yup, a douche/wash lol. I had a squirt bottle from my son's birth (filled it with warm water to "wash off" after urinating after birth - I highly recommend that, btw!). Filled it half and half with warm water and hydrogen peroxide, then just squirted it up my vag and around the outside as well. I used it for a week or so, not 100% sure - I remember that "fishy" bv smell went away after the first couple days but I kept using the hydrogen.peroxide for a while, just to he sure I got.it all. I think I squirted 2-3 times a day.
#13 of 14 Old 11-14-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateaton View Post

I am aware of the risk of preterm labor, although my mw didn't seem overly concerned about that- I think especially because there weren't strong bv indicators, but only the beginnings of it. I'd love to see statistics on how many women with bv actually do go into preterm labor- I sense from other research that I've done that the risk of that is overly inflated.  For now I'm trying the garlic cloves internally and will continue to monitor things.

I had BV in my first pregnancy. Was treated with antibiotics, but had no symptoms and was never re-tested so i have no idea if it cleared up or not.

I had PPROM at 35w2d.

Not scientific by any means, but I thought I'd offer regardless.

#1 Baby Boy born Jan 1 2009 at 35 weeks 2 days PPROM

#2 Baby Boy born April 22 2013 at 34 weeks 6 days PPROM

#14 of 14 Old 11-14-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Ess View Post

I had BV in my first pregnancy. Was treated with antibiotics, but had no symptoms and was never re-tested so i have no idea if it cleared up or not.

I had PPROM at 35w2d.

Not scientific by any means, but I thought I'd offer regardless.

I did end up treating with metrogel and was retested and was negative.  The symptoms have not completely gone away, but I've had a couple more cultures done and none showing bv.  I have no idea why I still have mild symptoms.

But now I'm overdue and seriously wishing that my membranes would rupture!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page