Post- RNY & tummy tuck pregnancy questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-07-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any moms out there have gastric bypass and/or tummy tucks?

I had a RNY gastric bypass Sept 2010 - lost 100 lbs, eat like a champ, workout a lot, no post surgical complications. DS was 9 mo old when I did it, and I nursed him for an additional 15 mo post-op (drank an extra shake a day over what was rx, no bf-ing issues after the bypass at all!)

I had abdominoplasy Nov 2011 - I had to repair c-sec adhesions and fix a hernia anyway, so treated myself to a TT at the same time! Wouldn't change it for the world - again, easy healing, no complications. The TT completely changed by ability to workout and enjoy my life through physical activity!!!

I am considering getting pg again - I knew I wanted more kids before I had either, and both surgeons said no problem.

My warning were these:

***Bypass = when pg, make sure to drink 2 or so extra protein shakes a day, be vigilant with supplement intake (B vits, iron, calcium, multi), no sugar (risk of reactive hypoglycemia)

***tuck = no pg for at least 6 months post-op, work out per usual throughout pg so as not to add unneeded fat, realize I might need a small revision after I am done having babies.

Any moms been through this themselves and have advice?

I am TERRIFIED to go to an OB being a VBAC with these 2 surgeries under my (vastly smaller) belt! I want to be armed with both research, and as much first-hand experience as I can be before doing this.

Thanks in advance!!!

Valarie

~Mom to Sy (3), #2 Due Jan 2014, GF to Pork, Psych grad student, Judoka~

stillheart.gif  ribboncesarean.gif  stillheart.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  stillheart.gif  winner.jpg stillheart.gif femalesling.GIF stillheart.gif  vbac.gif stillheart.gif  bellycast.gif  stillheart.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Congratulations on a successful bypass and tuck! thumb.gif

Have you considered talking to your bariatric surgeon for advice and an OB recommendation? I have not been through this but certainly understand your worries.

Anyone have experience to share? 

#3 of 3 Old 08-20-2012, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

Congratulations on a successful bypass and tuck! thumb.gif

Have you considered talking to your bariatric surgeon for advice and an OB recommendation? I have not been through this but certainly understand your worries.

Anyone have experience to share? 

So, my bariatric doc retired, and after the PTSD-causing section last time, I'm not too keen on an OB. This is problematic!

I've asked a ton of platics docs in recent weeks, and they all say it is no biggie as far as safety is concerned, just be aware I might "ruin" my surgery and have flab again.

~Mom to Sy (3), #2 Due Jan 2014, GF to Pork, Psych grad student, Judoka~

stillheart.gif  ribboncesarean.gif  stillheart.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  stillheart.gif  winner.jpg stillheart.gif femalesling.GIF stillheart.gif  vbac.gif stillheart.gif  bellycast.gif  stillheart.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page