RH- ? There are options! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-07-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

[Please see update below]

I am Rh- and 7mths. pregnant. The Rhophylac shot was recommended to me by my CNM. I initially thought I would be getting the RhoGam brand, which I've read has (or used to) contain mercury. My CNM, being very understanding of my concerns, confirmed that Rhophylac does not contain Mercury or Latex. I saw the box myself and thoroughly read the insert that came with it, so I can confirm this to be true. 

Despite the fact that I was going to go ahead with the shot, as it is preservative and latex-free, I was offered something very new to determine whether I actually needed the injection or not.

Fetal RHD Genotyping

It is, literally, just a quick blood test. This test uses DNA in the mother's blood plasma and serum to determine the baby's blood type. 

If you're concerned about the Rhophylac or RhoGam shot, then ask your healthcare provider for this blood test. You may not need any RH therapy at all!

If my baby does turn out to be Rh+, then I'll go ahead with Rhophylac. I'm not as concerned about it knowing that it's mercury and latex-free.

More info:

http://www.sequenomcmm.com/home/health-care-professionals/fetal-rhd-genotyping/

http://www.sequenomcmm.com/home/patients/fetal-rhd-genotyping/

http://www.sequenomcmm.com/home/about-us/information-on-technology/

UPDATE [08/21]

After waiting a couple of weeks for the results, the test came back "inconclusive". I wouldn't take it again. I did a bit more research and found that it is not uncommon for their tests to come back inconclusive.

It's not completely a waste of time, and in some circumstances, worth a try. Since they really had no good reason for why the test produced no results, I decided not to take it again.

Hope some of this information has helped others in making the right decision for themselves.

#2 of 2 Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

Welcome to Mothering stephmc. Thanks for sharing. smile.gif Please come over to the Pleased to Meet You forum and introduce yourself. We look forward to seeing you as an active member here. thumb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page