spotting and cramping in first trimester - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I am (almost) 6 weeks pregnant for the first time. I have noticed (since last night) some brown spotting. I read that this can be normal as the uterus is growing etc. I also read that if it is accompanied by cramping than one should contact their primary care person. (I have contacted my midwife, I am waiting for a reply). But it makes we wonder if the "pressure" I am feeling is "cramping" or if this is all normal? I should also add that I experienced my first round of nausea this morning. What an experience.

Thanks in advance for any insight this is all so new!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 11:07 AM

I don't have a professional opinion on this but I hope you get an answer from your midwife soon :)

I will say that pressure is pretty normal if it's more like an achy feeling behind your pubic bone. Cramping is pretty distinct feeling, like period cramps. Good luck!! 

Mommy, Wife, Birth Doula, Breastfeeding Counsellor. 

bftoddler.gifpos.gif

Old 08-09-2012, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I have heard several newly pregnant woman say that they were having a cramping type feeling for some period of time, maybe several days or more.  It might be perfectly normal, but I'm sure your m/w will be able to tell you for sure.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I had very mild cramping from about 7ish weeks off and on until 10ish weeks. I also had several episodes of brown to pale pink spotting. It worked out okay for me, and I was told this could be normal. If the cramping gets worse or the spotting gets brighter/heavier, then to worry. I'd see what your midwife says! Mine were cool with it.

Mom to 3 , 1 , 10 hermit crabs, and a 156g stock tank pond with goldfish and lilypads!
IUI#4 success! Welcome Guy V 11/14/12
Old 08-10-2012, 02:39 AM

With DS1, I had pink spotting throughout the first trimester (and at times in the second trimester too).  It seemed to always occur after having a BM even without straining (sorry, TMI!).  My ob at that time believed I just had a very sensitive cervix that just having a BM would break some blood vessels in my cervix.  With this pregnancy, I only had spotting for one day at 14 dpo... guess my cervix isn't as sensitive this time.

I hope you are reassured by your m/w.  The nausea is definitely a good sign!

Me (30), DH (33), DS1 (5), DS2 (2), and surprise DS3 due January 2015!
Will always remember our angel babies - Jan 2008 and Nov 2011

User Tag List