pap smears and pregnancy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-08-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was wondering if any of you new the risk factors for not getting a pap smear done during pregnancy. I know the last time I was pregnant and got a pap smear I ended up with a bladder infection and am refusing all physical exams and I am currently about 20 weeks pregnant. All other of my lab test that I have had done came back normal and am continue with a vitamin that fits into my diet. So if any of you can list any of the risk factors for not getting a pap smear during pregnancy would be great and for my future appointments I will not be having any kind of invasive procedures done during my pregnancy. 

#2 of 6 Old 08-08-2012, 11:32 AM

There are no risks for your pregnancy for not getting a pap. The purpose of a pap is to test for cervical cancer not any pregnancy related condition. If you have a history of negative paps there is no reason to test now.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#3 of 6 Old 08-08-2012, 11:40 AM

A pap smear is done to your cervix, so I am not sure how it could have directly caused a bladder infection, unless you think you were sensitive to the lubricant and didn't wipe it off/pee after the exam. 

I had a pap at 8 weeks because I was due for one and it didn't cause me any problems or bleeding. But I probably would not have wanted one at 20 weeks. Is the care provider pressuring you to have one done because of a specific issue you are experiencing?

hola.gifAndaluza (36) & dh (39), married 11 years! babyboy.gif M 8/23/12.  One cat.gif

#4 of 6 Old 08-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Dia

I would not allow one during my pregnancy. My two primary reasons for this is that (1) any treatment for an abnormal result would be delayed until after delivery anyways, and (2) pregnancy itself can cause cellular changes to the cervix which can read as an "abnormal" result even if everything is fine. 

Besides, I don't want ANY invasive exams right now - feeling extra protective of my and my baby's space. Stay away. This part is only my personal feeling, though, and I am honoring it. 

Mama to one amazing ecbaby2.gif
#5 of 6 Old 08-08-2012, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I've declined the pap smears for my last three pregnancies and this one without any problems.  I generally avoid invasive procedures, none of my care providers ever had any problems with me declining them.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#6 of 6 Old 08-13-2012, 12:15 PM

I wish I had declined recently, I had very painful pap! It did cause a bit of spotting, but at least she warned me that it would.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page