Flying and early pregnancy!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-12-2012, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just found out a week ago that we are pregnant naturally after throwing in the towel w/ ttc w/ ART (IUI's n 6 IVF's). Thinking I should have been almost 6 wks along I had my first u/s and they saw the gestational sac and the yolk sac but nothing else so far. ( hcg levels 1300 then 2771) They said I'm earlier than we thought and was only 4.5/5 wks instead. Anyways, I'm scheduled to fly over-seas next weekend and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on going thru those x-ray type machines when you have to go through security. I don't even remember if our airport even has one of the old school style ones or not but I'd really like to avoid it if possible this early on even. Do I need a drs note or anything??? Thanks!!!

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

Our Miracle has arrived... Caden James...

#2 of 5 Old 08-12-2012, 06:57 AM

I flew around 7/8 weeks and just refused to go through anything, saying I was pregnant. A few of the women who had to pat me down had little comments like, wow, you can't be that far along...blah, blah. I just smiled and said we found out right away because we were trying and are really excited. Anyway, I also printed out something from the TSA website that says that anyone has the right to request a pat down for any reason, so you don't need a dr note. I never had to whip that out, though, but I kept it in my back pocket, just in case. Actually the hardest time I had was flying out of Miami later in my pregnancy, when they were short staff and had me and a bunch of others who needed pat downs for various reasons waiting for quite a while. Since it was my request, they kept asking why don't you just go through, it's just a metal detector, nothing will happen. And I said because it is my right to refuse and I won't discuss it further. 

Apparently the radiation from the flight is higher than any of the scanning machines, but I just wanted to control things to the extent that I could.

hola.gifAndaluza (36) & dh (39), married 11 years! babyboy.gif M 8/23/12.  One cat.gif

#3 of 5 Old 08-13-2012, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

andaluza - Thanks for sharing  your story w/ me!!!!

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

Our Miracle has arrived... Caden James...

#4 of 5 Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 PM

I flew at about 6 weeks too and like Andaluza just requested the pat down because I was pregnant.  The lady acted like she could care less and I had shared too much information.  Anyone has the right to refuse, but they tend to think you are just a paranoid conspiracy theorist for avoiding.  I say so what- I don't want to be x-rayed.  I might just make it policy to refuse, pregnant or not.

Metreehugger.gif College Literature Professor reading.gif(36) and DH (35) married 7/05, together since 1/99; Mom to two lovely and fierce little girls: DD1 2/06 and, after 18 months TTC (and a couple years NTNP), DD2 born 7/3/12!  Dedicated AP parent who is for selective (most) vaccination.

#5 of 5 Old 08-15-2012, 11:29 AM

I flew when i was about 20 weeks with the first one and just found out I'm preggo and I am going to be flying at about 15 weeks with this one.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page