Mothering Forum banner

I did something very stupid. Freaking out.

2K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Baby_Cakes 
#1 ·
I'm very early pregnant, btw. week 5 and 6. We took dd to a kiddie amusement park. She rode rides like crazy. When we were almost leaving, we ate a snack and sat next to the boat that swings, the big one. Dd was fascinated by it so I went to see the restrictions, her height was fine, she only obviously had to have supervision. It also said no pregnant women but I figured it's for liability reasons and probably so the bar can go all the way down rather than gettick stuck high up on someone's pregnant belly. It didn't look that bad from the bottom. :( I made the stupid decision to take her on it (thinking she will love it... :(... ). I don't even know how we got there all I remember is asking the attendant if dd will be fine on there with me (she is almost 3). He said yes, that even younger children go on it. So we went. OMG. Eventhough we sat in the row almost in the middle it was horrible. It was so bad. Dd liked it although during the highest few swings she stopped laughing and talking. Poor thing. And now I worry that I may have hurt the little baby. I feel like the worst mother in the world. I literally hate myself for making such a horrible decision. Can the force of this type of motion harm my baby? :( I don't know how to describe the ride since I tried so well to erase it from my memory but it's the one that's usually very similar, a big ship that swings back and forth. No rapid movements but there is quite a force once it picks up speed. I don't even remember how many times it was really bad but it felt like an eternity.

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
The only way I can imagine this would hurt the baby is if there were a restraint bar against your belly (way down low, also- at this point baby is VERY deep in your pelvis) that you were forced into HARD at any point. Even then, at 5-6 weeks, baby is so tiny and squished in there that I don't see how anything could have possibly happened. Is there anything that you're specifically worried about? Was there anything that physically happened?

Don't hate yourself, though. I'm sure the baby bean is just fine and as for your older DD, even if she started screaming and freaking out (Which it doesn't sound like), chances are she doesn't even remember. Don't beat yourself up, mama!

#5 ·
Thank you, mamas.

I feel incredibly stupid.

There was nothing traumatic that happened during the ride, the bar was barely touching my stomach - I actually felt like there was extra room, like I could easily fall out. That's why I held on dd so tight with left hand and held onto the bar with my right hand. It just looked a lot calmer from the bottom and I wasn't prepared for the force at the top right before going back down and for the height from the ride while actually on it - that was the point where I almost felt like dd could fall out (she hopefully couldn't ?) and I was getting kind of sick. Going up the other way was no problem, just the one way. It went up maybe 6 times from what I'm trying to remember now. But it could have been more.

Dd says - when I ask her - that it was a huge swing, that she was afraid but will go on it again. I hope I didn't traumatized her too much.

I'm supposed to what's best for her and my unborn child. What the heck went wrong? It all happened so quickly and now I feel awful.

#6 ·
I am not an expert, but I would imagine that everything is fine. A lot of women don't even know they are pregnant that early, so I am sure that they have been on rides probably more intense than the one you were on. You could call your nurse hotline number and explain the situation so that they can reassure you. Other than that try to relax (easier said than done) and take it easy for the rest of the evening.
hug2.gif

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by *bejeweled* View Post

hug.gif
I'm sure the baby is fine. She/He is all snuggled in there and protected.
smile.gif
I hope so. What worries me is the force. Is there a chance babies could generally be protected against that, too? I read pregnant women should avoid the drop rides. This felt a lot like a drop each and every time, just without any sudden or jolting movements.

#8 ·
i think you will be just fine i went and jump out of planes when i was pregnant with my dd but i did not know i was pregnant at the time and she was fine she is now 8and health

#10 ·
When I was about 8 weeks pregnant with my 16 year old my dh, myself and my then 2 year old were in a car accident. We were going 55mph East and the car that hit us blew a stop sign going 65mph north. I called my OB immediately. He told me that at that point in the pregnancy,like a previous poster said, the baby is really pretty small and really well protected.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post

When I was about 8 weeks pregnant with my 16 year old my dh, myself and my then 2 year old were in a car accident. We were going 55mph East and the car that hit us blew a stop sign going 65mph north. I called my OB immediately. He told me that at that point in the pregnancy,like a previous poster said, the baby is really pretty small and really well protected.
Thank you. But boy, that must have been scary!

#12 ·
i don't think a baby with you that early along would have even felt anything different :) i wouldn't be worried at all. you probably got your daughter hooked on rides, though! my youngest always loved anything she was allowed to ride, from an early age.

my mom rode a ride when she was 6 months preg with me, it was a spin-around one, and said when it ended i was all balled up on her side!! apparantly that got me hooked also, i couldn't get enough of the thrill rides growing up. (i wouldn't ride something that far along for sure, but the first couple of months and no nausea, maybe)

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerose View Post

i don't think a baby with you that early along would have even felt anything different :) i wouldn't be worried at all. you probably got your daughter hooked on rides, though! my youngest always loved anything she was allowed to ride, from an early age.

my mom rode a ride when she was 6 months preg with me, it was a spin-around one, and said when it ended i was all balled up on her side!! apparantly that got me hooked also, i couldn't get enough of the thrill rides growing up. (i wouldn't ride something that far along for sure, but the first couple of months and no nausea, maybe)
You made me laugh! I can't imagine seeing a pregnant mom getting off a crazy ride with her belly balled up on the side. It's kinda funny that our moms used to do some crazy things that are a big no no these days.
smile.gif

#14 ·
I've been on quite a few rides while pg.
redface.gif
Some of the tame ones at Disney like Pirates when I was 8 months pg and during several other pgs as well. Some more wilder ones when I was early pg with #3. That is actually how I found out I was pg. I got sick on a ride which never happens, so I got curious and tested that night. Yep. He is now 3.
thumb.gif

#15 ·
I believe the major concern with jolting/jarring forces on rides is with placental abruption. At that early in pregnancy, the placenta is still very, very, very, very small and still developing so not as susceptible to those jarring forces as a larger placenta would be. Plus, as others said it is way down deep within the pelvic bone, so also more protected.

#16 ·
Thanks for all the stories and explanations!
love.gif
I hope the little bean wasn't as sick as I was.
bag.gif
I swear I will never go back on that boat again. Every time I try to remember what it was like I get even more sick. And I'm already so sick I can't even believe it. I was telling dh just yesterday how nasty I feel (while trying to explain why I've been so bitchy lately). Like you're really hungover each and every day and it never goes away... Can't eat anything, can't be hungry either... He said - but you wanted it. I wanted to hit him.
hammer.gif

#17 ·
I did something similar when I was about 12/13 weeks pregnant this time. It was an indoor amusement park, so the rides were small, but that didn't make them any milder, IMO. I can't remember which kid I had with me, but they wanted to ride the "teacup" style ride, so I went in there with them, and I got dizzy and worried (since I DID have a placental abruption last time, about two and a half weeks after my water broke) and had them stop the ride. Baby was fine and I'm now 25 weeks along and everything is proceeding as normal.

#20 ·
Thanks again mamas. I do feel a lot better about it now. I will never go on the ride again though because just seeing it brings the bad waves of nausea I experienced during and after. On top of my regular nasty sick feeling. :)

#21 ·
I did something similar when I was pregnant with DS (now 2). I was 16 weeks pregnant, and DH and I were in Vegas. Without thinking, we went on the coaster at New York, New York. I realized the moment the ride started moving and thought "oh sh*t", but then it was too late. I love roller coasters, but needless to say I didn't enjoy the ride much that time, I was so sick with myself for not thinking! Thankfully, the force as all on my shoulders. DS is/was fine, and in fact, about an hour later when we were watching TV in our hotel room DH felt DS kick for the first time.

Anyway, I am just glad that other mamas have had similar oversights. I was so worried and felt so guilty for a long while so I am glad you were able to find some answers here to know you aren't alone boomer (and glad to know I'm not the only mama who's ever done something similar!)

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstewart View Post

I did something similar when I was pregnant with DS (now 2). I was 16 weeks pregnant, and DH and I were in Vegas. Without thinking, we went on the coaster at New York, New York. I realized the moment the ride started moving and thought "oh sh*t", but then it was too late. I love roller coasters, but needless to say I didn't enjoy the ride much that time, I was so sick with myself for not thinking! Thankfully, the force as all on my shoulders. DS is/was fine, and in fact, about an hour later when we were watching TV in our hotel room DH felt DS kick for the first time.

Anyway, I am just glad that other mamas have had similar oversights. I was so worried and felt so guilty for a long while so I am glad you were able to find some answers here to know you aren't alone boomer (and glad to know I'm not the only mama who's ever done something similar!)
Nstewart, you must have been sooo sick. NY, NY roller coaster is nasty one (and one that I love)! :) Ditto on the guilty part. And on the not feeling alone part.
hug2.gif

#23 ·
Thank you for posting this question! I planned a trip for this weekend a year ago and just found out I am pregnant. The trip involves a high ropes course and I had some concern. I thank you all for giving boomer78 your confirming reassuring posts which I was happy to lurk and read 9and gain insight from.)

I don't mean to hijack this thread but wanted to really say thank you for asking something I was kind of nervous to ask.
innocent.gif

I do hope the memory eases up in time and you can recall it with a chuckle

#24 ·
I read once that at the early stages, the baby doesn't even feel our bodies moving around, sort of like how we can't feel the earth spinning. I think you and baby (and your DD) are going to be just fine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.