Do your dogs sense your pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-15-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have 2 dogs and a cat. I am the closest with my Yorkie, Bailey. She was my first dog, and we had her alone for 2 years and basically fell head over heels in love with each other. I've never been so darn close with any animal in my life. Sometimes I have to stop and remember, she's not human, shes just a dog!!!!!

Anyway. We've always been close, but since about 4 months into my pregnancy, Bailey has been staying by my side EVERYWHERE. I got laid off from my job at about 3 months, which was FINE because I want to take it easy. So I'm around the house until my partner gets home from work. This dog literally follows me from room to room, and even lays at my feet if I sit in the kitchen with company. She has NEVER laid at my feet when companies around. I can say this dog is constantly by my side now. Even when I lay down in bed for a few minutes to relieve some back aches, I will look down, and she's curled up between my legs. She even waits for me when I take a shower. She lie down in front of the door, and as soon as the water stops, she will start scratching at the door.

Websites claim they can't sense it, but I strongly believe this is the reason she's glued to me. Has anyone else noticed this change in their little companions?

TTC since July 2011  neg.gif

BFP on April 27th 2012   thumbsup.gif pos.gifjoy.gif

Gave birth to a BEAUTIFUL baby girl January 10th 2013. Never have been so blessed!

Baby Dust to everyone!!

dust.gif

#2 of 6 Old 08-16-2012, 02:31 PM

I don't know if it's a reaction to the hormone changes or what, but our 4 cats have been acting crazy since about a week before I found out I was pregnant - which would've been about the time I *got* pregnant, I think. So, who knows? They're all acting erratic, and 2 in particular are starting to spend more time with me than they ever have before. My JamieCat has been up my ass even MORE than usual. Who can tell? :)
#3 of 6 Old 08-17-2012, 08:24 AM

My dog is an overgrown puppy goofball and I doubt he has the slightest idea. My cat is a self-serving little thing who only comes to lay on my belly when she wants something, no different than before. I'm very bonded with the two of them, especially the cat, simply because she's older. Maybe they'll catch on when I'm further along, but right now their little animal worlds seem status quo.

Keep in mind that animals pick up on your energy and reactions. My cat was acting extra crazy the first few months because I wasn't at her beckon call as much because of m/s. You are probably acting differently so the animals act differently in reaction to that.

&
#4 of 6 Old 08-17-2012, 08:26 AM

I don't have experience with a dog doing this, but during my first pregnancy, our cats became VERY interested in me.  None of them were lap cats, but all of a sudden all three of them were vying for attention, and a spot on my lap to sit. 

So, yes, I do think that animals can sense pregnancy.

Just me and DS.
#5 of 6 Old 08-17-2012, 09:08 AM

I am pretty sure my older dog, a hound, sensed both my pregnancies.  Like the OP said about her dog, just spent much more time following me.  She also knew she was looking for someone knew when we brought baby no 2 home.  I came in without babe to greet the dogs since they had not seen me in a few days and were bound to be hyper.  She sniffed me and looked around, looked out the window, obviously searching.  I think it may be because dogs are pack animals who all care for the young.  With wolves, only the dominant pair breeds and the others in the pack help take care of those babies.  I figure we are her dominant pair.

Metreehugger.gif College Literature Professor reading.gif(36) and DH (35) married 7/05, together since 1/99; Mom to two lovely and fierce little girls: DD1 2/06 and, after 18 months TTC (and a couple years NTNP), DD2 born 7/3/12!  Dedicated AP parent who is for selective (most) vaccination.

#6 of 6 Old 08-17-2012, 10:00 PM

I'm pretty sure we smell different to them, same as some people with cancers or epilepsy have physical changes that animals can detect in some fashion. At least I'm assuming it's smell, due to our hormones changing.  At any rate, my dog is worthless but my cats are all insane now. Especially the dumbest one, he's totally super shadow cat and won't leave me alone!

Mom to 4 cat.gif, 1 dog2.gif, a 5g betta tank , 3 fiddler crabs, and a 156g stock tank pond with goldfish and lilypads!
IUI#4 success! Welcome Guy V 11/14/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page