Delivery after Classical incision - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 5 Old 08-26-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
 
ella'smommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have seen some earlier threads  where others asked about the timing of a repeat c-section after a classical incision, but medical advice changes so often I thought I would ask again for recent experiences. I've gotten the impression that the conventional advice may have stretched a bit in the last year as studies have found that more brain development happens between 37-39 weeks than previously realized. I had pre-eclampsia with my daughter 6 yrs ago and she was delivered at 27 weeks via a classical c-section. I remember the Dr telling me then it meant I would have to have another with a future birth, so that's not a surprise for this pregnancy. DD and I both came away healthy, so no regrets on that. I'm wondering what the current advice is others have gotten on how late you can wait to deliver. I went back to my old OB, her partner had done my surgery, so she said she was confident on the incision, etc. and that I could go to 38.5 weeks, as long as I don't go into labor first. I was pleasantly surprised by her response, general guidelines I found from googling said 36 weeks. She said part of her advice is because in her opinion the risks from prematurity are greater than the risk of rupture, based on her knowledge of my case. Most of her patients are no longer in her childbearing years so she dropped her OB insurance and is no longer delivering babies, and she referred me to another Dr in the practice (of 12 Drs). I have seen him once so far, REALLY like him. He was surprised that she recommended going to 38.5, I explained the rationale she gave, he said he would check with a couple of high risk Drs at the hospital before my next appt so we have a plan and can schedule my c-section, and that he suspected it would be during the 37th week. I am much healthier this time than last so they are watching me a little more closely, but I'm not worried about pre-e again.

 

So, how long has your Dr let you go with a repeat c-section after a classical incision? I want to schedule for as late as possible to give this baby as long as I can to develop. I learned last time to be flexible, so I'm looking at the date we schedule as an "end date" so I know the latest I will deliver, and if I go into labor at 36 or 37 weeks, then so be it. I would just rather not go earlier than necessary.

ella'smommy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 5 Old 08-26-2012, 04:14 PM
 
34me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Take this with a grain of salt as my classical is a junior in high school, but his brother was born at 40 +3.  We never really discussed it being any earlier but is also could have been that I never really went into labor with my trouble maker who wound up being born at 41 +5.  

 

And there older sister was born on her due date naturally!

34me is offline  
#3 of 5 Old 08-26-2012, 04:45 PM
 
jgallagher66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: State of confusion
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby was born in Jan. of this year. My water broke at 36 weeks so he ended up being born then but the scheduled c-section was for 39 weeks foe exactly the reasons specified. My doctor felt that the final weeks of development are important for brain development and that the stress of labor was whst they wanted to avoid not the final weeks of pregnancy. I would look for a doctor that was willing to wait unless another issue makes an earlier delivery necessary.
jgallagher66 is offline  
#4 of 5 Old 08-26-2012, 05:19 PM
 
34me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

offtopic.gifWell if that"s not freaky.  If I went with a user name that had identifying information in it, it could be jgallagher67 ROTFLMAO.gif

34me is offline  
#5 of 5 Old 08-26-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
 
ella'smommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the input. I'm going to see my OB in about 10 days for my 20 week ultrasound, so I want to have my case made for waiting as long as possible (for the same reasons) in case the hospital wants to take a more conservative approach. I think someone made the comment at the appt about planning being preferable to an emergency c-section, but if it buys us a couple of more weeks I'll go with it. Maybe I'll have my previous OB come and weigh in on it since she seems to be of the same mindset. I made an appt for a day when I know she is in the office too, so I think I'll take advantage of that if I need her to advocate too.
 

ella'smommy is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off