Weight gain question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-28-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know there are a lot of mixed feelings about weight gain in pregnancy, and I have a question.

Since we all must gain some weight, whether you think that should be less than twenty or more than 40, is there an ideal distribution of weight gain over time?  

In other words, I'm 22 weeks pregnant and have gained 11 pounds.  For me, I know that I need to gain a lot more than this, and I'm just wondering if it will be easier or harder to gain weight during the second half of this pregnancy.  

Humbly parenting Abraham (1/08), learning to be gentle and creative.  At least I got a good man to hold my hand.  Married to Ben (8/06). 

#2 of 13 Old 08-28-2012, 03:31 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#3 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 01:28 PM

For me personally, I found it pretty easy to gain at any point in my pregnancies. With my first 4 I gained 45-55 lbs. With my last two I had gained 20 lbs by 20 weeks and went on to more than double those gains. With my second I'd gained 13 lbs by 20 weeks and then went on to put nearly 40 lbs more on between 20 and 40 weeks. I started this pregnancy 20 lbs above my normal weight and am only up a pound or so total at almost 16 weeks (I am grain-free this pregnancy, which is a first for me) and I'm curious how much I'll end up gaining. As long as you are eating nourishing food, your body will gain what it needs to.

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
#4 of 13 Old 08-29-2012, 01:53 PM

I gained 50 pounds even with a high level of activity and eating very healthy, so I do think it is very individual and I think their fixation on not gaining "too much" is misplaced. It seems like all the women in my family have gained at least 50 with every pregnancy, and then lose it all again soon afterwards. I think as long you're eating well and staying physically active, your body knows how much weight to put on and for me at least, I think stressing about it or denying myself food when I'm hungry would be much worse than putting on 10 extra pounds that my body seems to want. 

The vast majority of my weight came on in the third trimester and they kept telling me I shouldn't be gaining that much, and its like "wtf, I'm not doing anything different than I was before, how about you have a talk with my metabolism?" ;)

#5 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 12:08 AM

The first 20 weeks I gained nothing. I actually stayed at the same poundage, but lost weight as the baby grew. Since 20 weeks (I'm 28.5 now) I've put on about 15-17 total. I expect to put on many more, but it's odd how GREAT I look due to the loss at the start. Def not complaining.

Mom to 4 cat.gif, 1 dog2.gif, a 5g betta tank , 3 fiddler crabs, and a 156g stock tank pond with goldfish and lilypads!
IUI#4 success! Welcome Guy V 11/14/12

#6 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 02:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I only put on about 2.5kg in the first trimester. Then I made up for it in the second by putting on about 13kg. Now, in the third trimester it's slowed right down again. I've only put on 800g in the last two weeks. Although part of that is because I am eating much more carefully since being diagnosed with gestational diabetes.

I can't remember what the distribution of weight gain was last time except that the first trimester was about the same (same morning sickness!).

I'm also interested to see how much I end up gaining by the end.

It's not something I'm too concerned about though, I'll be making milk for two so I think I can probably do with some reserves :-)

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 04:51 AM

I think almost everyone find it easier to gain weight in the 2nd and 3rd trimester.  I know I do.  I've always gained right around 40 lbs (and am right on track for that now at 36 weeks).  That happens despite lots of exercise and healthy eating.  I gain almost nothing in the 1st trimester...maybe 2-4 lbs, then I gain a few more and usually have gained right around 10 lbs at 20 weeks.   Then I pack it on after 20 weeks and tend to gain another 30 lbs in 18 1/2 weeks (all my babies have been born at 38 1/2 weeks).

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#8 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 12:12 PM

For me it was easier to put on weight at the end because I was getting tired and not wanting to move as much. Since I had no nausea, I put on weight pretty easily throughout pregnancy, but I tried to eat healthfully indulging in sweets in small quantities to satisfy cravings and keep walking regularly at least, but I wasn't going to be hungry as I don't think it is healthy to go around hungry, especially when pregnant! My OB was great, she didn't worry about weight gain unless there was a really big jump as that could indicate a problem. Steady gain I think it better, though I do think that if you have nausea catching up will be likely to happen after it goes and even if you don't, most gain more in the 2nd and 3rd than the first regardless. I'm glad my OB was very chill about it like I was and I will say, it all came off no problem after 6-7 months (I did breastfeed), most of it was off well before that. My body knew what it was doing adding those 50-60 lbs (I really don't know the final number as I stopped looking towards the end).

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#9 of 13 Old 08-30-2012, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I gained hardly anything (like maybe 4 pounds) during the first 26ish weeks of this pregnancy.  I wasn't even very sick this time, I've only thrown up once.  I am a very small mama too, just barely above what is considered healthy weight for my height.  Anyway, I'm 33 weeks now, and suddenly gaining fast.  I'm almost 20 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight.  I topped out at 20 lbs gained with ds, though I lost in the beginning with him.  I agree the focus should be on eating healthy foods to appetite.  Your body will gain what it wants, there's not always a lot of rhyme or reason to it. 

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#10 of 13 Old 10-08-2012, 07:10 PM

I know this thread has been "dead" for a couple of months, but I've actually been freaking out a little bit about my weight gain. I lost a ton of weight between my first pregnancy and this one, so I can't really compare that one to this, but I didn't gain anything, that pregnancy, and I'm 17 weeks and have already gained about 15 lbs. I've been walking about 4 miles a day (I was running 3 miles a day, so this is a step down from what I used to do), and I've been counting my calories as best I can with myfitnesspal and yet I'm STILL gaining. I don't know what to do. My endocrinologist actually told me to "push away the plate" at my last visit and I was both hurt and offended by this statement. My OB hasn't said anything, though I was told I shouldn't gain more than 25 lbs. I'm diabetic (type 2, insulin dependent, possibly type 1, long story) and I don't know whose advice to follow more: my OB or my endocrinologist.

#11 of 13 Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 AM

my best advice is to eat to your hunger, stay as active as you can, and make good choices about what you are eating.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#12 of 13 Old 10-09-2012, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I haven't read everyone's posts because my toddler is getting impatient but I think it is def easier to gain in the second half of pregnancy. I always start between 145 and 160 in my pregnancies and end up at 190 by the end. My kids have been 5 lbs. 10 oz. and 7 lbs. 14 oz. I am guessing this babe will be 6.5 lbs since I started out almost too skinny for pregnancy this time. Since I am 6'0" 145 is a little lean for me to start at for a pregnancy.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#13 of 13 Old 10-09-2012, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I guess as far as distribution I gain 5 to 10 lbs in the first tri, 20 in the second, and 10 in the third. I am up 5 lbs now at 10 weeks 3 days so far.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page