think terbutaline is the reason my son has autism..... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-01-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i know 4 mothers had this shot and there kids have autism,now the ? is : can this be true????????? i had it to and my son has autism.thats 5 moms now.any more out there ?

#2 of 7 Old 09-01-2012, 07:01 PM

I have no experience with this, but when I googled it I found this article. 

http://www.salient-news.com/2011/02/terbutaline-linked-to-autism/

slingtwin.gifEllie, partner partners.gif (12.2.08), mommy to superhero.gifE (7.5.10) & bouncy.gifbouncy.gif my Baby Belugas H & L (2.25.13)

nursex2.gifcd.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#3 of 7 Old 09-02-2012, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that your son was dx with autism.

As someone whose nightmare throughout this pregnancy has been the threat of PTL, I, of course, do not want this to be true (took terbutaline through my pregnancy).

Poor doctors can't really win on this one. They have very limited choices in treating PTL, and, if they gave you terbutaline, they did it because they believed the benefits outweigh the risks. It is a very tough choice for doctors and parents to make. I also did my research on tocolytics, and was comfortable taking terbutaline. For me, the risks of my baby dying (born before viability, like my first) as well as the risks of extreme prematurity, were by far more scary than the potential risks of terbutaline.

FWIW, I know of plenty of women who took terbutaline throughout the pregnancy (they used to prescribe it long-term for pregnant women, every 4 hours for weeks or month) and their babies do not have ASD. My Sidelines sponsor's two children do not have ASD and she was on terb around the clock. The vast majority of kids with ASD (and all autistic kids I know IRL) were born to moms who did not take terbutaline (no PTL).

If you do a google search, you will find many theories out there (some more credible than others) linking ASD to vaccines, environmental factors, parents' age, pregnancy spacing, and several other things. Unfortunately, we don't know for sure what causes ASD. I think parents (and the scientific community) are desperate to find answers, and more importantly, a cure for ASD. But it's still a big unknown.

The article linked above quotes a malpractice lawyer. Here is another article presenting the other side. "Terbutaline and autism...or not" http://biologyfiles.fieldofscience.com/2011/02/terbutaline-and-autismor-not.html

My best wishes to you and your son.

s27dolphin likes this.

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/2RSWm4.png

#4 of 7 Old 09-04-2012, 12:15 PM

i had terb with my first pregnancy and my son has autism. i've wondered if it affected him as well! :(

Amanda~ mommy to Brayden (06/05), Noah (08/07), Alex (11/08), Lucy (09/10) and Kara (10/12)
#5 of 7 Old 09-06-2012, 11:48 AM

I had it multiple times with my son, and he has Aspergers. 

Kara - Homeschooling mom to Greyson (13), three lazy cats, two hyper dogs, and 11 crazy chickens.  Loving our life on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.  TTC #2 for over 12 years.  Soon to be a stand-in mom for foster babies!
http://talesofatransplantedcitygirl.wordpress.com

#6 of 7 Old 09-07-2012, 03:45 PM

My son has ASD and I also had terbutaline at 32 weeks greensad.gif

#7 of 7 Old 09-07-2012, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had terbutaline with my daughter and she's fine. Gifted. But she does have a chronic illness, JIA.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page