Low lying placenta previa - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-01-2012, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I am 19 weeks pregnant and a few days ago I started having some light bleeding. I've miscarried twice before so this kind of thing is always going to be alarming for me. We went to the ER and the doctor told me it is unusual for moms to bleed on their 2nd trimester but he told me not to worry too much and they will try to help figure out what is going on. They check the baby's heartbeat and right away they found one. So they ordered an ultrasound and they found out that I have a low lying placenta previa, my OB since then had told me I am to have a complete bed rest. However, she warned me that they will not do anything if I start to go on labor at this stage or if I start bleeding. Nothing I have heard so far is positive other than what the first doctor at the ER told me "not to worry". Since then I've continues to have light bleeding and I still feel the baby's movement which helps ease my mind a bit but it is making me paranoid everytime I feel nothing. Am I going crazy??? I want to know for moms who had one how long they stayed in bed and if sitting up is allowed and is there going to be any positive thing I will hear at all or am I going to have to keep worrying everyday till my baby is safe enough to be delivered if possible. I am sorry if I sound crazy but I seem to feel very alone and petrified.
#2 of 5 Old 09-01-2012, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Do you have a low-lying placenta or placenta praevia? A low-lying placenta is one which is near but not covering the cervical os. A praevia is where the placenta is covering the os. Either way you have a good chance that the placenta will have migrated up by the time you get to about 34 weeks ( the chance is a bit better for a low-lying placenta). I'm guessing yours is low-lyIng as you should never labour with a praevia.

Yes, sitting up is fine. And generally you would be allowed to get up to go to the toilet and have a shower too but check with your carers obviously.

At 19 weeks I would think you will be allowed to go home and resume light activity once you've had no new bleeding for a few days. Your doctor may suggest some restrictions such as no intercourse. Unfortunately if you continue bleeding on and off then you'll probably be on bed rest for a fairly long time.

I'm sorry not to be able to be more definitive. I hope things settle down soon.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 5 Old 09-02-2012, 06:23 AM

The advice from katelove sounds like the advice my friend received. She had complete placenta previa, it was found because she had some light bleeding too. She made it to 34 weeks before she had a c-section, and her son has been very healthy. Trust your instincts, call the Dr if your not sure and try to relax, I know it's hard. Sending you good vibes :)

#4 of 5 Old 09-02-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

My apologies, it's a low lying placenta. I was sent home from the ER and was told to just rest. My OB however told me I was to do nothing else other than bathroom breaks, no house chores, no lifting, no intercourse, basically any activities other than lying down in bed.

I am still bleeding and it's no more and no less than how it's been the past few days. It is difficult but I guess a positive attitude will help more than just sulking and worrying the entire time. I just can't help it at times.

Thank you for the response.
#5 of 5 Old 09-17-2012, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. I am confused and not sure if I should be worried or just wait. Last week I had my 20th week ultrasound and the technician assured me that my placenta is back to normal. I stopped bleeding for a few days now so I stopped worrying about it till today. I started spotting again and started feeling pressure every now and then when I stand up or walk. I don't want to call my doctor and panic but is it possible to still have spotting even if my placenta has moved up to where it should be?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page