Partial Placenta Previa at 30 weeks - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-02-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

At 19 weeks at my routine anatomy scan my placenta was measuring 2.2cm from my cervical os. No one said anything to me about this being considered low lying except I am now reading that would be considered low lying.

I had a u/s on Thursday to follow up with my placenta lake and check growth. After the abdominal scan the tech informed me that she would need to do an internal. My husband was there and watched closely where he saw what looked like my placenta being very close to my internal cervical os. Because of what he saw I called the drs office the next day and at first the nurse didn't have the u/s report yet. She called me back about 15 minutes later to inform me that yes I have a partial previa. I ask her to what degree and she said the report didn't say which is possible because the tech didn't take any measurements on placenta distance. She then told me that I am to be on pelvic rest.

My question is if I have made it to 30 weeks with no bleeding how likely is it that this is an actual previa and not just a marginal previa or low lying? Has anyone had a similar experience? I cancelled my Zumba class for Wednesday until after I see the doctor since I am assuming they don't want me being very active.

How likely is it to move? The baby was transverse during the u/s, but I think she may be head down now after I asked her to move into the right position. My home birth midwife told me that there is a good chance that once the baby went vertex it would stretch my uterus vertically and move my placenta upward.

Mommy to 3 boys, Collin 9, Tobias 3, Xander 1 and Our first girl!

#2 of 3 Old 09-02-2012, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

I definitely think this is a great question for your MW or your Dr. (are you seeing one for shadow care?). It's my understanding that placenta only moves up and away from the cervix so if you have just a partial, and 10 weeks to go, you should be fine. I'm sorry but I don't know any reasons why you would be on cervical rest for that. Maybe some other members have experience with partial previa at 30 weeks. Congrats on your 1st girl - how fun! 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 3 Old 09-02-2012, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

I definitely think this is a great question for your MW or your Dr. (are you seeing one for shadow care?). It's my understanding that placenta only moves up and away from the cervix so if you have just a partial, and 10 weeks to go, you should be fine. I'm sorry but I don't know any reasons why you would be on cervical rest for that. Maybe some other members have experience with partial previa at 30 weeks. Congrats on your 1st girl - how fun! 

Thanks! I am seeing both an OB and a MW. I see the OB on Wednesday and the MW on Saturday. I am hoping it can move. I have read a few things that a transverse presentation can be because of a previa.
I think the cervical rest is because I haven't seen the dr yet, I am not sure.

Mommy to 3 boys, Collin 9, Tobias 3, Xander 1 and Our first girl!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page