HCG Levels? Do they always double? Is this truly a bad sign? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-11-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm the one with the subchoriac hemorage (I know I spelled that wrong but I don't feel like looking it up).  I went in for bloodwork today and just got the call with the number.  It is not much more, in fact barely any higher than it was 4 days ago.  My dh...an emergency room physician...says it should have doubled and feels this is it for us.  I'm wondering, hoping, he's wrong. Has anyone else at 6 weeks, almost 7 weeks had numbers that did not double and everything was okay??

#2 of 7 Old 09-11-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

By the way....the baby is almost 7 weeks old.... I'm reading things that tell me after 5-6 weeks maybe I shouldn't go by HCG levels...does anyone know if that's right?

#3 of 7 Old 09-11-2012, 04:07 PM

How much was the increase, exactly?

I wish I had better news for you, but it's honestly not a great sign if it was a really minimal increase over 4 days at only 6 weeks. At that early stage it really should still be increasing quite significantly.

It really depends on what the numbers actually look like. The only definite bad sign when it comes to HCG at your stage is if it reduces, but what we want to see is an increase.

#4 of 7 Old 09-11-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Actually it went from 17002 to 17500something,...(not sure of last two digits) and I'm not really worried at this point because lots of things Ive read now state once the heartbeat is present HCG levels are not a reliable detection of viability....that HCG levels may continue to increase but not dramatically especially if the numbers were high to begin with. So I'm refusing to worry.  :)

#5 of 7 Old 09-12-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

The doctor's office called and wanted to do an ultrasound.  I had to put them off until Monday the 17th as that's my dh's first day off.....  trying to stay positive .

#6 of 7 Old 09-12-2012, 04:35 PM

The HCG isn't going to double that high or late.  I would skip getting the draws and focus on the heartbeat on US.  My MW won't even draw another HCG if it's over 5000, because at that point, something is visible on US and it's not as predictive as when the levels are under 1000.

I read your other post and I get where you're coming from, we are pretty much the same age so we have some odds stacked against us.  There really isn't anything you can but wait (and worry).  Try to focus on the baby you saw on US.  Good luck with your next scan.

Michelle ~
Mama to ~ Finnegan(10/06) ~ Samuel (7/08) ~ Henry (2/11) ~ He's here! joy.gif Baxter (11/12)

#7 of 7 Old 09-12-2012, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.  I guess I let the worry in the voice of the nurse at the doctors office get to me.....  I did see a bit of red tonight but it was faint....  so I'm going to keep trying to stay positive...  but this bedrest is already getting on my nerves!  I'll keep it up at least until the next US but it's going to be a difficult 5 days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page