newly diagnosed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-11-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So i failed the one hour test 2 weeks ago and had 3 hour test yesterday. Failed it too, these are my numbers:

Fasting- 101, one hour- 210, two hours- 208, three hours- 182. Now to get set up with diabetic education. 3rd pregnanacy and never a problem before. I have never done well with low carb or sugar diet. I love bread and worst of all cokes. Gonna be a major change, scared. 10 weeeks till due date.

#2 of 2 Old 09-12-2012, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Sorry to hear that. I have GDM this time too, after not having it last time.

Your diet probably won't be low carb though. The recommendations from my diabetes educators include 8 serves of grains and 4 serves of fruit a day. I can rarely eat enough to get 8 serves of grains a day. It's more about spreading them out over the day and not eating too many carbs at once and maybe changing from high GI to low GI if you don't already eat that way. There will probably be some random thIngs too. For example I've discovered that my usual wholmeal/multigrain bread causes me to have spikes but rice, pasta and potatoes don't.

Can't help with the coke I'm afraid, although if you can bring yourself to drink diet coke then it won't affect your BSLs. I personally can't stand artificial sweeteners on anything so Ive just stopped having sweets. It actually hasn't been as hard as I was expecting and I had a pretty regular chocolate habit. I do eat lots of protein though and my usual sweetened yoghurt is still ok as are crumpets with a little scrape of jam. Oh and strawberries, lots and lots of strawberries. So I haven't been entirely without sweet things.

Are you due in November? Come over and join the DDC if you like. There is as GDM support thread there.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page