Single Umbilical Artery / SUA / Two Vessel Cord - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-11-2012, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just wanted to share that I was diagnosed with a SUA at my 18 week ultrasound.  I immediately googled it, and found all kinds of awful things and very few stories of moms who said everything was fine.  Of course that's how it works - people who have a great outcome don't usually share it because it isn't on their mind anymore. People with a bad outcome need to process that outcome, and lots of them do it by sharing their stories.  I just wanted to share my experience to maybe put someone else's mind at ease (to the extent that it is possible).

We had multiple level two ultrasounds - all of which showed that the baby was perfect in every way.  We had monthly growth scans - all of which showed that baby was in the 75-90% of fetal size/growth.  We had all of the genetic testing short of an amnio - all of which came back with incredibly low risk for any type of genetic issue. 

In August, I gave birth to a perfect, 8lb 7oz little girl.  She has not one issue - NOTHING.  Her heart is perfect (she was thoroughly examined), her kidneys are perfect (she had a renal ultrasound after birth), she has no genetic/chromosomal issues, and she clearly didn't have any growth restrictions.  

All of my doctors all along the way said that they see SUA fairly frequently and that in just about every case, it's an isolated issue. That was my experience, and I thought I would pass it along in hopes that I can provide some comfort to a mom who is freaking out about this diagnosis. 

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#2 of 2 Old 09-12-2012, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Glad your baby turned just perfect :).

One of my twins also had the same issues and no other issues thank goodness. It was before I had unlimited internet access or I probably would have freaked out also. The doctor told me it would probably be fine and I didn't sweat over it.

Just chiming in as another who had a perfect baby with a 2 vessel cord.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page