Not getting an ultrasound because insurance doesn't cover it & DH doesn't want to know the gender....? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
 
filiadeluna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our insurance doesn't pay for an ultrasound, so it would be out-of-pocket, which we really can't afford right now.  DH also doesn't want to know the sex (I do, but I guess I can't find out because I wouldn't be able to keep it a secret from him even if I tried).  So, is there any point to trying to find the money to do it?  Part of me thinks it would be a good idea to know ahead of time about any problems there might be (though unlikely), but then I worry about ultrasound waves and all of the controversy with that.  We had 3 ultrasounds with DD - one early one because I was spotting, the "gender scan", and a last one when I was 41 weeks to check the fluid levels.  I definitely didn't *want* that many, but that's how it turned out.


-
filiadeluna is offline  
#2 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 PM
 
skycheattraffic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in Canada so insurance isn't an issue but I would definitely try to get at least one ultrasound over the course of a pregnancy. Now I'm not hard core about natural prenatal care, so take my response with a grain of salt. I'd try to get one early to rule out an ectopic pregnancy. They are rare but I'd feel better knowing for sure. Of course if you're further along then this becomes a moot point.
I'd get another one further along to rule out/identify twins or multiples. I can't imagine getting ready for one baby and ending up with two or even three without having planned for extra help and resources.
The other reason I'd get a later ultrasound is to assess the placenta for position or potential problems.
These are just my thoughts. I know money can be tight and I really feel for you and others who have to make medical decisions on financial grounds :-(
skycheattraffic is offline  
#3 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
 
filiadeluna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

I live in Canada so insurance isn't an issue but I would definitely try to get at least one ultrasound over the course of a pregnancy. Now I'm not hard core about natural prenatal care, so take my response with a grain of salt. I'd try to get one early to rule out an ectopic pregnancy. They are rare but I'd feel better knowing for sure. Of course if you're further along then this becomes a moot point.
I'd get another one further along to rule out/identify twins or multiples. I can't imagine getting ready for one baby and ending up with two or even three without having planned for extra help and resources.
The other reason I'd get a later ultrasound is to assess the placenta for position or potential problems.
These are just my thoughts. I know money can be tight and I really feel for you and others who have to make medical decisions on financial grounds :-(


Thanks for the opinion!  I'm about 14 weeks, so yeah the ectopic thing isn't a concern by now.  I just don't know how we'll find the money to pay for it if we decide to do it.


-
filiadeluna is offline  
#4 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 06:53 PM
 
Imakcerka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I would def do the 20 week scan, at mine I was told I had previa which is good to know.  If I had planned a home birth that would have been one crappy surprise.  You don't have to find out the sex but a U/S does allow for peace of mind when it comes to home birth.  Fewer surprises.  Are you in the US?  I would think that at least an anatomy scan would be covered.

Imakcerka is offline  
#5 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 06:58 PM
 
JollyGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My insurance hasn't typically covered routine anatomy scans. However, every doctor I've had has found some reason that they "need" an ultrasound right around 20 or 30 weeks. I'd be surprised if your doctor didn't find some reason to do an ultrasound that was covered by your insurance at some point during the course of your pregnancy.

 

Heck with my son I had 3 ultrasounds with a 4th scheduled if he hadn't been born when he was.

I had so many I lost count with my daughter. I only think one of those ultrasounds didn't end up covered, and it might even have been covered once I requested a billing review to make sure it had been coded correctly before being sent to insurance.

 

Doctors usually want to take a peak just to check for severe birth defects, placental position, etc. They are usually pretty good about coming up with a reason that insurance companies like. 


Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
JollyGG is offline  
#6 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
 
filiadeluna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

I would def do the 20 week scan, at mine I was told I had previa which is good to know.  If I had planned a home birth that would have been one crappy surprise.  You don't have to find out the sex but a U/S does allow for peace of mind when it comes to home birth.  Fewer surprises.  Are you in the US?  I would think that at least an anatomy scan would be covered.

 Yes, I live in the U.S., but we have really crappy insurance.  We had much better insurance when I was pregnant with DD.


-
filiadeluna is offline  
#7 of 7 Old 10-01-2012, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
 
filiadeluna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGG View Post

My insurance hasn't typically covered routine anatomy scans. However, every doctor I've had has found some reason that they "need" an ultrasound right around 20 or 30 weeks. I'd be surprised if your doctor didn't find some reason to do an ultrasound that was covered by your insurance at some point during the course of your pregnancy.

 

Heck with my son I had 3 ultrasounds with a 4th scheduled if he hadn't been born when he was.

I had so many I lost count with my daughter. I only think one of those ultrasounds didn't end up covered, and it might even have been covered once I requested a billing review to make sure it had been coded correctly before being sent to insurance.

 

Doctors usually want to take a peak just to check for severe birth defects, placental position, etc. They are usually pretty good about coming up with a reason that insurance companies like. 

We are having a homebirth, so I doubt my midwife would "order" one.  The insurance won't cover any of my prenatal care or birth with a midwife, and they won't cover a hospital birth except for what goes over $7,500.  :(


-
filiadeluna is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off