Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   I'm Pregnant (http://www.mothering.com/forum/19-i-m-pregnant/)
-   -   Another one dx'd with hypothyroidism (http://www.mothering.com/forum/19-i-m-pregnant/1364759-another-one-dx-d-hypothyroidism.html)

TIFF4NY 10-01-2012 07:21 PM

I've done a search through the forums and have found a lot of posts about being dx'd with hypothyroidism but I didn't really see talk about weight gain/loss while pregnant after being put on medication.

I'm on my 2nd pregnancy and started this one about 20lbs heavier than I was with #1 and even then I was already "obese" though due to my lean body mass I consider it more overweight. I'm obviously concerned about weight gain with this one and was hoping to hear from other mamas who were on medication for hypothyroidism during a pregnancy. 

If you were dx'd during pregnancy and put on meds, did your weight stay the same? Did you still gain or did you wind up losing? 

Also, to those who have already had their children, were there any obvious affects from the hypothyroidism on them such as delayed development or learning disabilities?

Thank you in advance for reading and responding. I was only told this on Thursday and have my first appointment with the endo tomorrow regarding this so I hope they do a good job answering my questions. But nothing beats hearing experiences first hand from those who actually have gone through the situation.

12w3d

MommatoGray 10-02-2012 11:37 AM

Hello,

I don't have a ton of info to offer. But I was put on synthroid during my first pregnancy and I did not notice any weight change. Although I did gain 55 pounds throughout my pregnancy. And I am usually around 120lbs. But it came off after so I think the weight was purely pregnancy related and not hypothyroid related.

And my son has no learning disabilities, he is 20 months and already counting :) Sharp as a tack!

I do believe that synthroid mimics the thyroid hormone that naturally occurs in our bodies. I think of it like diabetes and insulin, we just need a little extra. I found this article:  http://www.livestrong.com/article/2811-facts-synthroid/

And believe me I do not take drugs under any circumstances, not even a tylenol. So I did not take this decison lightly. But as far as I understand hypothryroid can cause a lot of problems such as miscarriages and causing you to have a milk shortage after birth. So it seems to me that it is quite beneficial.

Don't know if all that helps :) Hope you get it all sorted out!

TIFF4NY 10-02-2012 11:53 AM

Thank you for responding, hearing this certainly helps! My appointment is in a couple hours so I'm hoping to have my mind put at ease a bit then. 

writinglove 10-02-2012 12:06 PM

Hi TIFF4NY,

I don't have a thryoid, so I have quite a bit of experience with what you have asked about. The key to not gaining excessive weight when you are hypothryroid is getting the right dosage. Once the dosage is titrated correctly, the drug mimics what your thyroid would do. In fact, thryroid medication is pretty much the only medication out there that is in the A risk category (meaning no risk to the fetus).

Be patient while you and your doc work to get your dosage right. It might take a few blood draws and trying out a few different dosages before you hit your sweet spot. Hopefully once the dose it right, you will start to feel more energy, too.

Good luck!

namaste.gif

TIFF4NY 10-02-2012 12:15 PM

Thank you so much!

Gryphonn 10-02-2012 01:47 PM

Hi, I am hypo as well and pregnant with my first.  I was taking the synthroid before pregnancy, then had the dose upped once in the first trimester when the doc found I'd gone hypo again - significantly. 

Even though my dose was upped in the first trimester by quite a bit and I had severe morning sickness, throwing up several times a day until about 16 weeks, I still gained 4 lbs in the first three months and now at about 26 weeks have gained a usual amount (pound a week from about week 13 to now - on track to gain about 30-35 lbs total).  Basically I'm saying I don't think getting the hypo fixed really affects your weight that much pregnant or not, and I certainly am not gaining less than others would...  my butt has apparently not gotten the memo ... :) 

TIFF4NY 10-03-2012 10:17 AM

After meeting with the Endo yesterday he told me I actually have subclinical hypothyroidism so no meds for now. They will keep checking me every 3 months. He did have me get blood drawn to check for Hashimotos so we'll see what the outcome of that is.

ella'smommy 10-03-2012 11:26 AM

I found out I had Hashimoto's hypothyroidism during my prior pregnancy, it was also sub-clinical and I didn't start meds for it until about 8 months post-partum when I became symptomatic. I was mind numbingly exhausted and also very deficient in Vit D, which I was told is common with hypothyroidism. I didn't gain weight with Levoxyl, I think actually my weight was easier to manage because I had more energy and my hormones were better balanced. 

Wishing you well!

1babysmom 10-03-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIFF4NY View Post

After meeting with the Endo yesterday he told me I actually have subclinical hypothyroidism so no meds for now. They will keep checking me every 3 months. He did have me get blood drawn to check for Hashimotos so we'll see what the outcome of that is.

Glad they are checking your antibodies!  I wouldn't be on meds either if it were based on anything but my TPO count!

I obviously don't know how things will be different for me this time with meds (I am on Armour though, not a real fan of synthetics).  But I am trying to be careful about my weight gain.  I have tended to believe that my big gains with my previous pregnancies (45+lbs each time) was just what I was "supposed" to gain since I gained it with my first, most laid back pregnancy, then with my 2nd healthier pregnancy, and then with my 3rd, my largest and roughest pregnancy yet I was by far the healthiest and worked out the most. 

However, I didn't start having the real weight issues associated with Hashi's hypo until after my 3rd was born- and about 9 months after, I gained a few lbs and lost all ability to LOSE weight. (and I also had all the miscarriages from this point on, too)  I knew I had hypothyroid issues after my births, but more just the common postpartum hypothyroid, and we're pretty sure the combo of my health (particularly my chronic systemic candidiasis) and my last pregnancy triggered the Hashi's.  But there was a pretty big difference.  So since I have no idea how my body will respond to weight after this baby, I just figure, the less battle with weight that I have to deal with after the birth, the better.

TIFF4NY 10-04-2012 01:31 PM

Got the confirmation that I do have Hashimotos and am now rx'd 200mcg of synthroid. I'm kind of relieved to have some answers and hopefully things will improve now. I'm going to begin following the Auto Immune Paleo plan and go from there.