If you are GBS+, consider this protocol! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-03-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone. I am cross-posting this here from my due date club at the suggestion of one of the other mamas. 

I am 39 weeks pregnant and recently got great news from my midwives' office. A couple weeks ago I had tested highly positive for GBS (+4) and due to allergy issues in my first daughter after heavy doses of abx during labor, was very reluctant to repeat that experience. So I researched an aggressive GBS-killing protocol, and reswabbed just one week later. I am stunned and happy to say, I went from +4 to negative in one week! I am sharing my protocol here in case it helps anyone else out:

Once Daily:

2 capsules Femdophilus in AM (probiotics)

1 30mg capsule Zinc (for membrane strength, immune support)

1 1000mg capsule Vitamin C (for membrane strength, immune support)

1 tea tree suppository inserted vaginally (during day)

1 garlic clove inserted vaginally (at night/overnight)

15 drops GSE (away from probiotics)

3x Daily, away from probiotics:

1 dropper-full of Usnea tincture in water (30-40 drops)

1 dropper-full of Oregon Grape Root tincture in water (30-40 drops)

Eat and drink plenty of probiotic foods away from herbal tinctures and GSE; my foods and drinks of choice have been sauerkraut, probiotic pickles, kimchee and kombucha

Hope this helps someone else!

#2 of 18 Old 10-05-2012, 02:30 PM

Thanks!

I just wanted to bump this up to make sure people saw it. Ive been looking for something like this for a couple of years- a GBS + remedy where someone actually used a method and it worked. Im going to do this! I was GBS + for my past two pregnancies, and Im just going to prepare for it this time.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 18 Old 10-05-2012, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for bumping :) My midwives were so ecstatic that this worked so quickly!

#4 of 18 Old 10-17-2012, 09:57 AM

How close to doing the gbs test should this protocol be started?

With my first 3 I was +, but the next I was -. The water broke when he came out, so I had nothing to worry about, since he was protected. My third was actually born in the sac, and I hadn't gotten the medication with him either.

I would like to be - this time.

Thanks.

#5 of 18 Old 10-17-2012, 11:53 AM

I just want to clarify this, because Ive heard it mentioned a lot lately.  Just because your water doesnt break until the baby is born does not mean that there is no risk of GBS passing to the baby. I can tell you this from first hand experience- my sons autopsy reported that he had cultures of GBS. I was GBS positive and I had one round of antibiotics before he was born. His water broke one push before his body was out, and he still had GBS. It was not his cause of death, and he was never sick, but those cultures were present. 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

GBS can infect your baby even before your water breaks. GBS infections before birth are called "prenatal-onset."

GBS can cause preterm labor, causing your baby to be born too early.

GBS infection can also cause your water to break prematurely without labor starting, causing your baby to lose a significant layer of protection.

It is thought that babies are most often infected with GBS as they pass through the birth canal. GBS infections within the first week of life are called "early-onset."

Babies can become infected with GBS by sources other than the mother. GBS infections after the first week of life are called "late-onset."

Be aware that your womb and/or C-section wound can become infected by GBS.

http://www.groupbstrepinternational.org/info_main.html

gen24 likes this.

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 08:48 AM

Adaline's mom: Thanks for letting me know. Does every baby automatically catch the GBS from the mother? With the first, I had enough time to get the medication, with the second not - so the baby got it. With the third, they tried getting in the IV a few times, and I got all poked up - but it didn't go.

Thanks.

#7 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Not automatically... Chance is 1 in 200 without abx.
The protocol is supposed to be done a week before testing, and then maintained till birth if negative.
#8 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 06:09 PM

Well, the chances are 1 in 200 that the infant will get sick without antibiotics, not 1 in 200 that they wont get gbs cultures. 

SIDS happens. 

#9 of 18 Old 10-19-2012, 11:42 AM

I was GBS(-) for my first and then GBS(+) for my second and third babies.  For my third I tried boosting vitamin C, garlic, and probiotics.  I was still (+) after several weeks of trying, but I wasn't doing it intensively.  For my fourth pregnancy I did NOT want to be GBS(+) again, so I decided to go at it full force.  My Bradley teacher had given me this protocol that a midwife had successfully used to eradicate it in her patients, and I did it religiously for 4 wks (from wk. 32 until the test at 36 wks).  I tested negative (whew!) and didn't have the stress, antibiotics, or blood tests for the baby that comes along with a positive status.  I will be doing this protocol again this pregnancy.  After the test I continued everything except echinacea (it is good to give your body a break) and I had just disconinued it for a couple days when I went into labor at 37 wks.

GBS positive - treatment plan

-by Karen Ehrlich, CPM, LM

"This plan was developed by a pregnant woman in San Francisco who tested positive for group beta strep. She was planning a homebirth, and wanted to avoid hospitalization and antibiotics. She successfully eliminated the bacteria from her genital/anal tracts. Her midwife has used it successfully with two other mothers, and is currently working with a fourth woman who is using this plan. That midwife tells me that it took about 3 weeks to obtain negative cultures, but that she could see that it was working after weekly because each subsequent culture showed less GBS growth. I tried it once, but the woman went into labor before she had the time to rid her system of the GBS.

I have added grapefruit seed extract, on the suggestion of another midwife who has used it successfully.

Twice a day, with breakfast and dinner:

• acidophilus - 4 billion cells per dose
  • echinacea - 350 mg capsules - two capsules
  • garlic - 580 mg capsules - two capsules
  • vitamin C - 500 mg with 200 mg bioflavonoids
  • grapefruit seed extract - 15 drops

We can then do a culture every week, to see if the bacteria are decreasing. Whatever the reading is closest to delivery is supposedly the most reliable. If this regimen is successful at eliminating GBS, I would suggest staying on it until birth, to give us the best possible likelihood that it will not be present in your vagina at the time of birth."

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/enews/enews0337.asp

NOTE:  I DID not use the grapefruit seed extract, because I read of contamination concerns.  I did do a hibiclens wash prior to the test, because I intended to do one in labor as well.  I was very happy to achieve GBS(-) status even though that much garlic was a lot to stomach.

#10 of 18 Old 10-21-2012, 09:44 AM

The second treatment here sounds easier than the first above.

Echinacea is not an issue during pregnancy?

Thanks.

#11 of 18 Old 10-21-2012, 06:35 PM

I researched and was convinced that amount of echinacea was okay, just not for super ptolongrd periods. I certainly felt that it was better than the likelihood of extended hospitalization, testing, and unnecessary antibiotics, which due to my history, I felt a high chance of if my status remained (+)
#12 of 18 Old 12-26-2012, 09:52 AM

The hibiclens wash - I noticed on Amazon a few different items. Which one is used for the wash? How often is it done, from testing to labor?

Thanks.

#13 of 18 Old 04-24-2013, 11:39 AM

Hi all, I am bumping this thread to share that using a GBS protocol worked for me as well.

I tested GBS+ at a swab at 35 weeks.  I started this protocol when I got my results at 36 weeks.  I was re-tested 2 weeks later (38 weeks) and today (39 weeks) got the results, I am now NEGATIVE for GBS.

The protocol that I followed is:

AM - zinc (20mg) and vitamin C (1000mg with calcium and bioflavinoids) and probiotics (HCP30, which is 30 billion colonizing probiotics)

Lunch - Echinacea tincture and Grapefruit Seed extract 

Dinner - probiotics

Evening - for the first week, nightly teatree oil suppositories (soak a cotton tampon in olive oil, then drop teatree oils onto it and use vaginally for 30 mins.  Do the same with a q-tip and use rectally for 30 mins).  After the first week, use every other night.  Overnight, bruise one garlic clove and use as a vaginal suppository.  Before bed, consume 2 cloves raw garlic, crushed.

From GBS+ to GBS- after 2 weeks using this protocol.  I will continue it until babe is born to ensure that I don't re-colonize.  I hope this helps someone else!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#14 of 18 Old 04-24-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I just want to clarify this, because Ive heard it mentioned a lot lately.  Just because your water doesnt break until the baby is born does not mean that there is no risk of GBS passing to the baby. I can tell you this from first hand experience- my sons autopsy reported that he had cultures of GBS. I was GBS positive and I had one round of antibiotics before he was born. His water broke one push before his body was out, and he still had GBS. It was not his cause of death, and he was never sick, but those cultures were present. 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

GBS can infect your baby even before your water breaks. GBS infections before birth are called "prenatal-onset."

GBS can cause preterm labor, causing your baby to be born too early.

GBS infection can also cause your water to break prematurely without labor starting, causing your baby to lose a significant layer of protection.

It is thought that babies are most often infected with GBS as they pass through the birth canal. GBS infections within the first week of life are called "early-onset."

Babies can become infected with GBS by sources other than the mother. GBS infections after the first week of life are called "late-onset."

Be aware that your womb and/or C-section wound can become infected by GBS.

http://www.groupbstrepinternational.org/info_main.html

Also, I just wanted to comment since I've done a lot of research on this since finding out I was GBS+.  It is correct that you can get a GBS infection before labor starts and that baby can be colonized even if the water breaks while pushing, etc.  50% of babies of GBS+ mothers will be colonized, of those, 1-2% will get sick.  Babies can get GBS from the mother or elsewhere after birth as well, which is late onset GBS.  In order for antibiotics to be effective, you should receive 2 doses, 4 hours apart.  If you get less than the 2 doses, or 2 doses close together, etc. the effectiveness is decreased.  So, if you are a 2nd time or more mom who had a quick labor the first time (as I did) you may wish to follow a GBS protocol even if you plan on receiving antibiotics in case you are not able to receive the full treatment in time for babe to be born.  Oh, and antibiotic treatment does NOT protect against late onset GBS.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#15 of 18 Old 04-24-2013, 12:48 PM

It is pretty normal to test negative or positive randomly. So for me. I tested positive at 28 weeks. Negative at 30, and positive at 34. If I tested positive and then negative I would still go by the first result as it can fluctuate.

I have tested positive at least once with all of my pregnancies (Group b uti's with every single one)

Even if you tested negative a week later it only takes a couple days for the bacteria to grow back up and may be positive later. I would be weary of any health care provider that tested you positive 7 days earlier and when the test came back negative thought you had "cured it"

That being said whether antibiotics are really necessary during child birth is up to the parent to decide.

#16 of 18 Old 04-24-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLQ1011 View Post

Even if you tested negative a week later it only takes a couple days for the bacteria to grow back up and may be positive later. I would be weary of any health care provider that tested you positive 7 days earlier and when the test came back negative thought you had "cured it"

Yes, exactly.  You can't "cure" GBS, you are either colonized or you are not.  However, you can take actions to reduce the level of colonization.  GBS- does not mean that you do not have GBS, it just means that you are not colonized enough for the test to be considered a GBS+ result.  So, with my DS, I tested GBS- although I was colonized (had to be, or I wouldn't have been GBS+ this time) at 37 weeks.  I may well have been GBS+ when he was born at 40w6days or I may not have been. Likewise, my immune system may have reduced the colonization on its own this time from GBS+ to GBS- without following a protocol.  Essentially, I was just trying to help my immune system along (and strengthen my amniotic sac).  And, garlic has been proven to kill GBS, so that's not just wishful thinking, but I also don't think it's a "cure" as I don't believe that you can elminiate GBS completely from your body.

This is why I am going to continue the protocol until babe is born, to prevent re-colonization.  It isn't "random" however, as you have stated.  GBS is like any other bacteria in your body, good or bad.  You can take actions to encourage or discourage growth.

#17 of 18 Old 04-24-2013, 07:24 PM

Yeah I totally agree I just hate how health care providers act like its a disease that goes away. Its a normal bodily flora for 30% of women.
#18 of 18 Old 05-07-2013, 06:10 AM

I didn't even know health care providers did retest. I thought the thinking ws once postive always postive? Since it comes and goes naturally. I was gbs+ with 1 out of my 4. I also found it early in urine so was highly colonized. Did not ever do a retest. Did vit c throughout prego and ate garlic,probiotics. I used hibclense when my water broke early and used it as douche I think every 4 hours(forget exact protcol) until babe was born 19 hours later. I will do this again if i test postive but do try to stay on vit c and probiotics,so that I do remain low and don't test postive. Either way it is good to take care of yourself. Thanks for sharing so people know that antibiotics are not the only way to go.

maya mama to dd 10,ds 5,ds 21m &15weeks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page