Help me! Craving shrimp and I'm vegan... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-19-2004, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This happened with DD#1 also, I absolutely HAD to have shrimp. Before I became vegan 10 years ago, I ate a ton of shrimp. Shrimp cooked anyway in anything omg it was good. (Also crabcakes but that was because I lived for a time on marylands eastern shore, you have to love crabcakes to live there).Anywho, last pregnancy I craved shrimp.... and caved. After dd was born though, just the thought of eating shrimp would make my stomach turn. Fast forward to today. I'm 9 weeks pregnant, and omg those shrimp commercials on TV from red lobster and the others are looking so damn good I want to send hubby out to get some. Just the thought of eating scampi, fried, baked, broiled shrimp is making my mouth water.

What do I do? I know shrimp isn't healty, and they used to be living beings, but I'm ashamed to admit my taste buds right now don't care and I want some! Do I cave and send hubby out to get some or just hold off.... mmmm.... some Delmarva crab cakes would be good too... with tartar sauce....

help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2004, 08:20 PM

Wow, thats a toughie! I was a vegetarian for a number of years for ethical reasons. My ethics didn't change, but my body had to have meat So, I know the moral dilemma you're going through here. It comes down to whether or not you can compromise your ethics for the time being and let your body have what it's telling you it wants/needs. Shrimp, I never had a problem eating because they're a free-range food, they aren't given injections of chemicals to make them grow abnormally large (like chicken for example) and they aren't exactly an intellegent species. I've never heard of seafood being unhealthy, maybe someone can enlighten me on this.

At least you're not craving what I was during the first trimester: prime rib.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:38 PM

Shrimp are actually fairly high in cholesterol, which is one of the reasons so many people in Louisiana have heart disease. It's also got lots of good stuff in it, like lean protien.

Anyway: I went vegetarian about 3 months before I concieved NewBean, and after I concieved desperately craved meat of any kind. I posted about it in the Healthy Eating forum and most people answered my heart's desire and said, basically, to eat what I wanted while I was pregnant.

Your body craves these things for a reason, even if it's not readily apparent to us. I was(am) pregnant and nursing and I needed more protien than I was able to get from non-animal sources. Right now, I'm desperate for (get this) anchovies and ben & jerry's. I'd do just about anything for a double-anchovy pizza and a pint of Cherry Garcia right now... :LOL

Eat your shrimp and enjoy them. Your body knows better than your brain!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 04-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Banned

Your body needs elevated cholesterol to grow a healthy nervous system in your baby, so maybe your diet it too low in it and that is why you are craving? Makes sense when you think about what stage you are at in your pg/what is developing in your baby right now.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:19 PM

Well I've been veggie for 25 years and I have been craving....HAMBURGERS!!!!! Fast food ones, too!!!

Bleah, what is my body thinking???? I have compromised by eating some fish and even free-range organic turkey a couple of times, but those hamburgers are still calling me.... shudder

"MY best interest?...How can YOU say what MY best interest is?...When I went to YOUR schools, I went to YOUR churches, I went to YOUR institutional learning facilities."-ST
Old 04-19-2004, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was going to say what mattjule did -- that pg women don't have to worry at all about high cholesterol.

I was a vegetarian for five years, and didn't eat red meat for seven. When I got pg, I absolutely HAD TO HAVE a hamburger. I gave in because I really HAD TO HAVE IT. (And I don't even like hamburger.)

I had similar cravings in the first tri of this pregnancy -- guess I must have needed the iron/protein.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:27 PM

i am doing doula work now for a woman in the hospital at 27.5 weeks, vegetarian and looking as cesarean delivery for preeclampsia. she had a very hard time eating enough protein, and now she's in crisis.

please listen to your body. if you are really craving shrimp, don't sacrifice your baby (another living being) for veganism.

carrots are living organisms, too. there are many levels of awareness and consciousness. maybe you could talk to a spiritual advisor to get another view on this...

but if you were my client, i'd advise you to listen to your cravings... your body is very wise, and ignoring it can be dangerous.

katje
Old 04-19-2004, 09:33 PM

I'm normally vegan when I'm not pg, but I just can't do it when pg (the cravings, the m/s, etc.) so I personally go ovo-lacto (and I'm fine with it).

Have you tried the Veet "salmon"? I know it wouldn't taste like shrimp, but it's the "fishiest" meat analog I can think of, and I really, really like it. (Absolutely vegan, too.)

Water, have you thought about Boca burgers? I know they are not certified non-GMO, but they taste pretty "real" to me, and you might think a Boca burger would be a better choice than a hamburger, maybe?
Old 04-19-2004, 09:35 PM

I was vegan before I got pg with my first. About 3 months into the pregnancy I started craving beef stroganoff (childhood fav.) Well, I gave into the craving, b/c I had heard that your body needs whatever it is craving. I was concerned that my body would reject the meat and dairy, but it didn't. I went from vegan to eating a ton of Ben & Jerry', mac n cheese and buffalo burgers! My youngest is still nursing, but not very much (her choice) and I still eat meat and dairy. Although, we eat plenty of tofu and rice & beans as well.

Mama to DD#1 2001 reading.gif, DD#2 2002 2whistle.gif, dog2.gif, & cat.gif. Me & my man partners.gifbelly.gif June 2014.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I caved, I went to Outback Steakhouse, had some crabcakes and grilled shrimp and a beautiful crisp salad and I was in heaven! Never been to Outback Steakhouse, was amusing, I lived in Sydney for a few years so I got a small chuckle over everything in the resturant. Great service and great food!

Now I'm just holding off puking! My morning sickness is in full force still, but I think I'll be able to hold it off. Damn that was good food!
Old 04-19-2004, 11:42 PM

Good for you I really think that we have these cravings for a reason too. Also, you need lots of protein when pg so shrimp is good for you. I think it's good for you normally too, but I'm not vegan and believe that meat, poultry, and seafood are good for you (in moderation) even when not pg
Old 04-19-2004, 11:44 PM

me too!

i've been vegetarian for the vast majority of my life but i had some crab enchiladas the other night with dinner....and mussel appetizers! usually the thought of eating a creature that was once alive really makes me feel sick, but i craved seafood throughout my last pregnancy and it's started again this time. it's definately comforting to know i'm not alone. i also figure, if it doesn't bother me at the time, i'm not going to make myself stress over it.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:49 PM

if it makes you feel any better, normally (naturally raised, organic) meat-loving me is completely put off by the stuff, at 10 weeks. somebody handed me a shrimp skewer at a barbeque the other day, and i had to go find someone to take it, i was so grossed out. so, somewhere in the world there's a preggo mama not eating what you are uncharacteristically craving--it all evens out!

*j
Old 04-20-2004, 12:30 AM

mmmmmmm, Outback Steakhouse! That sounds sooooo good. I always joke that Lucy is made out of Outback steaks, because I craved them soooooo bad when i was pregnant with her, and we ended up there a lot. (Pre-pregnancy I was a vegetarian.)

This time, it's red meat again. I want burgers and steaks, and LOTS of them! I am trying not to give in, and just eat it a few times a week, but I swear I could eat beef at every meal. (The vegetarian in me is screaming, "Ewww! No!!!" But it's true.)
Old 04-20-2004, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

I take real comfort in seeing all the veggies coming out and confessing that we are craving something we normally wouldn't eat. I feel so much better in knowing that I'm not alone in this.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:03 AM

I am not vegan, but I eat a lot of Boca burgers. They taste nothing like beef (but they are quick and I'm lazy).

Now I want some shrimp, too...

DS 6 DD 8
Old 04-20-2004, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Water, have you thought about Boca burgers? I know they are not certified non-GMO, but they taste pretty "real" to me, and you might think a Boca burger would be a better choice than a hamburger, maybe?
Oh, I'm not going to actually eat a hamburger, I think it's more the idea. I realize that I get the cravings when I do need more protein, so I will eat fish or turkey or something else high protein.

"MY best interest?...How can YOU say what MY best interest is?...When I went to YOUR schools, I went to YOUR churches, I went to YOUR institutional learning facilities."-ST
Old 04-20-2004, 06:51 PM

Joining in late, but I also want to say that I was vegan for 10 years when I got pregnant, and decided early on that my body is very wise and that I'm going to listen to it. I ended up eating some organic chicken one day, and started on dairy. I did it because my baby needed it, and she was telling me in a big way! Good for you for giving your body and your baby what it needs.

I don't think this makes you a non-vegan/vegentarian. I called it a pregnant pause in my usual diet....
Old 04-21-2004, 03:37 AM

"A pregnant pause in my usual diet"

I LOVE that!

I am veggie too and craved meat with this pregnancy. I refuse to give in to red meat and chicken but have been eating fresh fish we buy at the docks. I plan on going back to veggie again after I have this baby. I did the same thing with my first and thought fighting the fish cravings were harder than giving in to them. After I gave birth, I didn't want the stuff anymore.

It's kind of like Phoebe on Friends when she was pregnant with the triplets. She was craving meat and started eating it but Joey gave it up to balance it all out. I am sure there are enough preggo ladies in the world who are turned off by it and eat veggie for their pregnancy that the world is still in balance by those of us taking a pregnant pause

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
Old 04-21-2004, 11:22 AM

Another veggie mama enjoying the pregnant pause!

I was lacto-ovo vegetarian pre-pregnancy and early in my pregnancy I started MAJORLY craving fish. It's been a conflict for me...I really don't feel good emotionally eating it but physically...I feel like I really need it!

I have been going to the fish market once a week....last Friday I bought shrimp. Since you are eating shrimp now...I might as well tell you about this yummy recipe (warning VERY RICH...a once-in-while treat)...

:LOL

Curry shrimp over rice

Saute shrimp and garlic in butter/oil for a few minutes. Add small container of 1/2 and 1/2 (whole milk would probably be fine too) a little wine and let simmer and thicken. (I also added parmesean cheese for the ultimate in decadence. : ) Stir in curry powder to taste.

Cook rice.

When rice is almost ready add raisins and sliced apple (I prefer granny smith).

Yummy with asparagus on the side.

~Erin
Old 04-21-2004, 11:35 AM

I'm allergic to shellfish and I have been craving shrimp and lobster so bad it's almost unbearable! I have only been allergic for about 4 years, so I know how good they taste!
Old 04-21-2004, 02:06 PM

Doodlebugsmom- You *could* go to a practioner and get desensitized from your allergy. It might be that you need to be detoxed or something (try acupuncturist or natureopathic doctor).
Good luck!

DS 6 DD 8
Old 04-21-2004, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

I wonder what it is in shellfish and fish that we crave so much? I mean they aren't attractive and dont have an attractive smell, so there must be something in them that we craving that can't be found elsewhere?
Old 04-21-2004, 04:15 PM

Hmm. I know that cravings mean that your body needs something in that food, but I don't agree that it needs THAT food.

For instance, when I first went veggie in college, I did it in the college way. Lots of bread and salads. I started having dreams of eating whole hams. Night after night. I hadn't eaten ham in years, since I found out that a maternal relative was Jewish and I decided to eat kosher (gave up shrimp then too).

I asked a women with whom I was working, she was a 25 year healthy vegan, what it meant. She suggested eating a broader variety of foods and to add a little salt to my diet.

So I did. And the dreams went away.

My body was "talking" to me in the only way it knew...ham was one of the saltiest foods I'd had, so it dreamed of ham to get me to use table salt.

In pregnancy the main thing I have craved like that is hard salami. For a few weeks I wanted it, and would think of the salami sandwiches I'd had as a child. I also thought of liverwurst, but not as much. I gave up liverwurst as a preteen when I finally heard the "liver" part of the name.

Salami, IMO, is absolutely useless as a "food" item, and so I broke it down. Protein, salt, and fat. I increased those things in my diet. Boom. No more salami cravings.

I've also craved burgers, but McD's burgers. Nothing is going to convince me to eat there, or have whatever meat "product" they call a burger, so it would have to be homemade. And since there is no way I could cook a burger without being ill, that had to be forgotten. And the craving went away.

I *was* having fish cravings, and since I occasionally ate fish and chips while not pregnant, I indulged about three times during this pregnancy. And the third time got bad fish and was ridiculously sick. I'm not sure I'll EVER eat fish again; I learned my lesson.

Fish and seafood are from polluted waters (hubby went on a macrobiotic diet for a health problem some years back, but the doc wouldn't let him use fish because there were no commercially accessible NONpolluted waters, and it's only worse now) and the toxins that could be in them are just not worth it to me.

So for me, I'd increase the protein and oils...since I was so sick from the bad fish I've done that and haven't wanted it since.

I think that our innate intelligences are wonderful and smart, but they don't need to be listened to LITERALLY. They are only using the language we've previously taught it; I think it's up to our brains to realize what it is truly asking for, which I believe are the components of a food, not necessarily THE food.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:38 PM

Mollyeilis wrote:
Quote:
I think that our innate intelligences are wonderful and smart, but they don't need to be listened to LITERALLY. They are only using the language we've previously taught it; I think it's up to our brains to realize what it is truly asking for, which I believe are the components of a food, not necessarily THE food.

That's basically what I was thinking when I made my non-meat suggestions.

But yeah, sometimes, even that's not enough...
Old 04-21-2004, 04:40 PM

I have to share. My husband got called out of town for work and to cheer myself up I'm going to splurge on a big fat lobster and tear into it and eat it and savour and watch the Bachleor all at the same time!

Old 04-22-2004, 12:12 AM

I was vegan too before becoming pregnant with my first. I craved fish but only gave in to it once secretly. I do regret that now. My son totally loves fresh fish and also chicken and turkey. He also likes tofu and alternative stuff so I try to vary a lot. I started eating fish as well when separated from my then vegan husband. Now with my second pregnancy I can not stand the thought of fish or meat. I totally follow the babies lead this times. So far I am craving radishes and greek salads.
I thougt that you should not eat shrimp while pregnant or nursing (otherwise I would have), but maybe I read something wrong...
Enjoy!

User Tag List