Anyone else not taking prenatals? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all, 

I am 10 weeks pregnant and have been avoiding prenatal vitamins this time around. They are hard to stomach and I eat really healthy . Anyone else purposefully avoiding prenatals?  

-Hannah

Joyful mama of 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 10:43 AM

I did for my last pregnancy.  I don't take vitamins in general and just try to eat well.  They didn't ever make me sick, I just don't take vitamins.

caffix.gif

Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 AM

I'm not taking them either.  I feel like they interfere with my body's ability to tell me if I need something.  I eat healthy as well, so I don't feel like there is a need.  You aren't alone!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

Old 10-04-2012, 12:09 PM

Well, I'm not consciously not taking them, but I've been so sick that they've been really hard to stomach. We're having twins, and my OB said that the only really important thing was to make sure that I'm getting enough folic acid. So, I have been taking a folic acid supplement, but most days that's it.

A, partner to J, mama to O, now with a new username!

Building queer family since 2008!

(and oh, did i mention we're having twins?!?)

Old 10-04-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingTigers View Post

Well, I'm not consciously not taking them, but I've been so sick that they've been really hard to stomach. We're having twins, and my OB said that the only really important thing was to make sure that I'm getting enough folic acid. So, I have been taking a folic acid supplement, but most days that's it.

Same here.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm not. I have a good diet and I find prenatals, and I've only used natural ones, hard on my stomach. Plus I never remember even when I tried taking them in past pregnancies.

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 AM

I'm taking them every day, but not for any good reason.  Vitamins are not regulated - they could have anything or nothing in there.  I know what is in spinach, tomatoes and milk.  Diet is probably more important.    

Old 10-05-2012, 09:48 AM

I take them everyday but it's really more to fill in the holes I may have left that day. I eat a healthy, balanced diet but I don't like to have to think so much about whether or not I'm getting all the vitamins necessary in a day, every day. I was vegan for a while years ago and gave it up because I really hated having to create a plan to make sure I was getting everything necessary, so I do what I can to avoid living like that again.

I've always had trouble with vitamins being hard on my stomach, but I've found that when I take them smack dab in the middle of a meal there's no issue. If I even take them after a meal (like with the last bite or two) or I try to get away with only eating a snack and taking one, my stomach churns and aches for a good half hour.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:08 AM

I don't take them. No real reason except I throw up alot and they never seemed to stay down so I just gave up. I didn't take them last pregnancy either and was never deficient. I did have to take a little bit of extra iron for a week towards the end but that didn't last long either and by birth I was good. 

Mommy, Wife, Birth Doula, Breastfeeding Counsellor. 

bftoddler.gifpos.gif

Old 10-07-2012, 08:56 AM

I didn't take them.  My diet was healthy before pregnancy, but during the first 5 months all I could really eat was Rice Krispies, and yet I still could not and therefore did not take prenatals, after trying two different types.  My daughter arrived fat, sleek and sassy anyway.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

Old 10-07-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingTigers View Post

Folic acid is in just about everything, especially cereals and other grains. Also folic acid is to prevent neural tube defects which occur very early in pregnancy around the 4-5 week mark. If you are past that then folic acid will do nothing for you because if the baby is going to have a defect that folic acid prevents it has already happened.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Another thing...prenatals have lots of calcium in them. My sister thinks they caused her to have kidney stones while pregnant. I definitely would want to avoid that. Thoughts? 

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:58 PM

I always do during pregnancy, but this time they made me so sick, I stopped after week 12.  

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
Old 10-18-2012, 12:05 AM

If you're not taking prenatals, it's really a good idea to take a folic acid supplement or B-complex to help prevent neural tube defects.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  

User Tag List