I don't know what to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-07-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everybody, I just found out I was pregnant and I don't know what to do. I am only 18 and I'm scared of doing something wrong. I am a smoker and before I found out, I drank a little bit every weekend, but I am worried that it might have affected something because I always threw up after having some. My friends who have had kids thinks I'm about 2-3 months because I'm already starting to "round" in the belly. So would there be a chance that my child could be harmed? I go to the doctors in a few days to find out how far along i actually am, but I just want to make sure that I didn't harm me or my child with a little bit of alcohol.

Also, I don't know what I can and can't eat while pregnant being this is the first time I've been pregnant and I haven't been around people who were this early in the pregnancy. What would be the best things to eat and drink while pregnant? I am not allergic to anything that I know of, and I was wondering, would I still be able to eat fast food like once a month?

#2 of 8 Old 10-07-2012, 02:10 PM

Your doctor will have all of these answers and more. While we could hazard a guess, not knowing exactly how long you have been pregnant, it would be impossible for us to gauge whether your drinking may have impacted your baby. Your doctor will determine exactly how far along you are, and you should be forthright with her/him about when and how much you've had to drink, as it's only in the best interest of you and your little one to know what risks there have been, if any. Chances are you are just fine. *Hugs* and keep us posted.

Me femalesling.GIF, Hubby dh_malesling.GIF, Stepgrl hearts.gif (11), DS Born 4-15-13 babyboy.gif

My biz: Sojourn Curiosities

#3 of 8 Old 10-07-2012, 02:20 PM

hug2.gif  One of the biggest things that being a mom had taught me is that you can't go back, just move forward and do your best with what you know now.  There is no way to know what the alcohol you consumed may have done.  You know now that you are pregnant so you know you need to stop drinking and smoking.  It's great that you are wanting to make good choices for you and your baby!

As far as what to eat, most people recommend focusing on protein  (Eggs, beans, nuts, meat) and fruits and veggies.  Some whole grains is a good idea too!  The occasional fast food won't kill you.  Drink plenty of water and just do the best you can.

It's generally recommended to take a prenatal vitamin too.  (There is a thread down the page about which brands people are taking.)

Congratulations and welcome to Mothering!  It's a great community here and I think you'll find some great info and support. 

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#4 of 8 Old 10-07-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both so much, and I've been told to stay away from Tuna because it is a leading cause of Autism, is it true?

What do prenatal vitamins do? 

#5 of 8 Old 10-07-2012, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

If we knew what the leading cause of autism was, there would be a lot less of it.  Truth is, we don't know - autism is a complicated thing, that appears to arise from a combination of genetic and environmental factors, and we haven't entirely nailed down what those factors are.

Tuna contains small amounts of mercury, which is why it's recommended that pregnant women avoid it.  Mercury, in sufficient quantities, can cause brain damage.  The recommendation around here is that a can of tuna a week is okay, but not more - plenty of people chose to avoid it entirely.  I wouldn't say it's a crisis if you've had a tuna sandwich, but you might want to avoid it going forward.

#6 of 8 Old 10-07-2012, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Prenatal vitamins help fill holes that might exist in a mother's diet.  They are not a replacement for a healthy diet.  You should still be striving to eat lots of whole foods and plenty of fruits, vegetables and protein, but prenatal vitamins can help fill dietary gaps that you might not know you have.  They are particularly important because they contain folic acid, which can help prevent birth defects.  You can ask your doctor for recommendations on brands.  Most drugstores, grocery stores, and natural food stores have perfectly good options.  Don't overthink things.  Tuna is fine a few times a week.  Talk to your doctor before cutting out any particular foods, since there's a lot of misinformation out there.  Good luck!

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#7 of 8 Old 10-07-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

thank you guys a lot. I know i must seem a little to worried but that's because i want to have a great pregnancy and a healthy child. And I will be sure to ask my doctor about it when I go. 

#8 of 8 Old 10-17-2012, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Got the pregnancy newsletter from Kaiser and thought of you.  Here's a few more tips until you can get in to see a doctor and get some more specific pregnancy advice:

-Everything healthy you do for your body helps your growing baby. Rest when you need it, eat well, drink plenty of water, and exercise regularly.

-If you're taking any medicines (prescription or over the counter) ask your doctor about them.  A lot of things should not be taken during pregnancy.

-Drink plenty of fluids, especially water.

-Cut down on drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and cola.

-Avoid exposure to tobacco smoke, alcohol and drugs, chemical fumes, paint fumes, and poisons.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page