sleeping on back during pregnancy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-08-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is the weirdest thing.  Normally I am a straight side sleeper, but for some reason when I'm pregnant I wake up on my back all the time.  This didn't happen with my first baby but has started in the first trimester with the others.  I don't know why I worry about it as I haven't had any kids yet that were brain-damaged due to lack of oxygen from me sleeping on my back, but I'm 23 weeks pregnant and wake up on my back almost every night so I'm worrying again.  Does anyone else do this?  If baby really wasn't getting enough oxygen it would affect me first and I'd wake up, right??

#2 of 14 Old 10-08-2012, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

You can sleep on your back as long as you are comfortable.  Your lower limbs would fall asleep and you would start having difficulty breathing well before anything could happen to the baby.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#3 of 14 Old 10-08-2012, 01:38 PM

I agree, your body is really good at telling you when you need to move.  I end up on my back a LOT while asleep when pregnant, but I also get to feeling really uncomfortable if/when I need to move.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#4 of 14 Old 10-08-2012, 06:36 PM

I find myself on my back an awful lot now that I'm pregnant, too, and it has really weirded me out, as I, too, am normally a side sleeper. I actually find that I'm more comfortable that way, since my arms like to fall asleep, these days, when I sleep on either side. I've been told that, as long as I am still comfortable on my back, everything should be okay.

#5 of 14 Old 10-09-2012, 04:23 AM

Does anyone else find their hips are sore when side sleeping? I'm abt 13 weeks and this is a recent development. I'm wondering if there is any strategic leg positioning or pillow adjustment that can alleviate this.

Me femalesling.GIF, Hubby dh_malesling.GIF, Stepgrl hearts.gif (11), DS Born 4-15-13 babyboy.gif

My biz: Sojourn Curiosities

#6 of 14 Old 10-09-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineCoastMama View Post

Does anyone else find their hips are sore when side sleeping? I'm abt 13 weeks and this is a recent development. I'm wondering if there is any strategic leg positioning or pillow adjustment that can alleviate this.

I find that a pillow between my knees helps my hips.  Or I throw one leg across the body pillow.

hang.gif knit.gif chicken3.gif treehugger.gif Kristin, partner to eat.gif Ron who came with DSS7 kid.gif

heartbeat.gifOur first arrived March 2013!! nocirc.gif

#7 of 14 Old 10-09-2012, 11:02 AM

I wedge a pillow behind my back when I fall asleep on my side.  I always wake up on my back, but the pillow is propping me up a little bit, keeping me from being flat on my back.

#8 of 14 Old 10-09-2012, 11:33 AM

I slept on my back and stomach almost exclusively during pregnancy.  I didn't know it was bad until I read it somewhere in the 1st trimester and asked my high risk doctor about it.  The doctor said it doesn't matter as long as I am comfortable.  My body would tell me if something was wrong.    

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#9 of 14 Old 10-09-2012, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have been the same way through all my pregnancies. My MW assured me that as long as I don't wake up with tingly legs, the baby is just fine. 

Wife to the greatest guy, and mommy to five handsome and fun boys. Looking forward to meeting our newest little one in July.
#10 of 14 Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineCoastMama View Post

My hips hurt, and my arms start to go to sleep, when I side sleep. I really should grab another pillow for between my knees, but I keep forgetting. :P

#11 of 14 Old 10-10-2012, 01:46 PM

I tried the pillow between the knees (actually, my penguin Pillow Pet my hubby bought me for Christmas last year!) and it did the trick. No sore hips, although my new pillow regimen, I guess I'm kinda pushing him off the bed a little!

Me femalesling.GIF, Hubby dh_malesling.GIF, Stepgrl hearts.gif (11), DS Born 4-15-13 babyboy.gif

My biz: Sojourn Curiosities

#12 of 14 Old 10-11-2012, 11:23 AM

I asked my doc about the whole sleeping on your back recommendation and he laughed because he said there has never been any evidence to show that back sleeping could pose a problem. Someone hypothesized that the weight of the uterus could constrict that vessel and cause a problem, and all of a sudden it was "don't sleep on your back!".

New Mom to little G May 16, 2010.
#13 of 14 Old 10-13-2012, 07:22 PM

i agree im 24 weeks pregnant & find myself waking up on my back. i recently had an ultrasound in which i was told baby is ok. so i think u should talk to your dr.

#14 of 14 Old 10-14-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonkyTonka View Post

I asked my doc about the whole sleeping on your back recommendation and he laughed because he said there has never been any evidence to show that back sleeping could pose a problem. Someone hypothesized that the weight of the uterus could constrict that vessel and cause a problem, and all of a sudden it was "don't sleep on your back!".

Thank you for this! My yoga instructor was totally against my continuing the class while pregnant because "wouldn't you just prefer to be safe?" It's a class of which we spend the majority on our backs, so her concern stems from that, and I just wanted to roll my eyes. Fine, I won't attend your class anymore, then! It was a big disappointment, though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page