Decaf Coffee in 1st trimester? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-08-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey, everyone!

Newly pregnant, and wondering . . . is it ok to have a small decaf coffee in the morning during the 1st trimester? Also, what about teas? I know herbal teas seem to be a little bit of a no-no, but what about the "pregnancy" teas you see at places like Whole Foods? Thoughts?

Thanks much!

BB

Bebe (37) & Hubby (37) married since 2010 and have one sweet girl (1).
#2 of 22 Old 10-08-2012, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

Yes, I believe so. I think even a small regular coffee is fine. Enjoy your pregnancy! 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#3 of 22 Old 10-08-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ICM! :) I appreciate your feedback!

#4 of 22 Old 10-08-2012, 02:57 PM

For herbal teas I was a fan of my own blend - red raspberry, spearmint, nettle and alfalfa. 

#5 of 22 Old 10-08-2012, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! That seems to be close to what's in the pregnancy blends that I bought, but then I read that you aren't supposed to drink red raspberry leaf because of the potential for uterine contractions?

#6 of 22 Old 10-08-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebelove View Post

Thanks! That seems to be close to what's in the pregnancy blends that I bought, but then I read that you aren't supposed to drink red raspberry leaf because of the potential for uterine contractions?

I don't know - I think I read that too but then I also read that you can drink it for the entire pregnancy. I drank it sort of weak for the first trimester and then in a stronger infusion later. 

#7 of 22 Old 10-08-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well you'd think it must be fine if it's in a pregnancy blend. I'm just nervous while I'm waiting to know for sure this little one sticks!

#8 of 22 Old 10-09-2012, 04:50 AM

There's a lot to be said for being careful - because that may well be the most comforting choice for you. No need to feel you have to push yourself past your comfort level. Just don't go depriving yourself for the sake of it, yk? Enjoy your pregnancy - however that may be for you. love.gif

#9 of 22 Old 10-09-2012, 07:39 AM

For the decaf coffee, you may want to consider using only Swiss water process decaf, which is a natural procedure. The typical decaf process involves chemicals that some consider more dangerous than the caffeine itself. There are actually a lot of threads on MDC regarding tea and coffee in pregnancy, so you could do a search to get to some specific discussions. 

IdentityCrisisMama likes this.

hola.gifAndaluza (36) & dh (39), married 11 years! babyboy.gif M 8/23/12.  One cat.gif

#10 of 22 Old 10-09-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andaluza View Post

For the decaf coffee, you may want to consider using only Swiss water process decaf, which is a natural procedure. The typical decaf process involves chemicals that some consider more dangerous than the caffeine itself. There are actually a lot of threads on MDC regarding tea and coffee in pregnancy, so you could do a search to get to some specific discussions. 

I was going to say the same thing.  I really want a pumpkin spice latte, and I was about to order it in decaf, but Starbucks doesn't use the Swiss water method and I don't want to drink decaf the way they do it.  I think it would be safer just to drink the caffeine unless you can find decaf coffee that was decaffeinated naturally and not with toxic chemicals.

#11 of 22 Old 10-09-2012, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Oh gosh, I thought Starbucks did use this process?! Ack! Thanks so much for letting me know ladies. What a shame!

#12 of 22 Old 10-09-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andaluza View Post

Agreed. It certainly won't hurt you or baby if you've had (or will have) a couple of cups of chemically treated decaf, but I wouldn't encourage anyone to drink it very often. I worked at Starbucks years ago and I remember there being one blend of decaf that used the Swiss Water method, but I would talk to your barista.

In terms of teas, there are a number of herbal teas that could be problematic in the first trimester, but some can be just fine. Red Raspberry Leaf is not such a good idea early on, but it's encouraged in the third trimester because it improves uterine contractions when the time comes. Some people say it induces labour, but I haven't found any evidence of that yet. Regardless, if you're being extra cautious, I would avoid drinking it until a couple weeks before you want baby to come out. I also found it surprising to learn that chamomile and hibiscus teas are also discouraged during pregnancy.

I generally stick to Rooibos tea. It has very little tannin because it is technically not a tea plant (which means it won't interfere with iron absorption), it has lots of antioxidants, and it's darn tasty. It's also nice because you can put sugar and milk in it like you would black tea or coffee to make it a nice, creamy, warm beverage to replace coffee, and it naturally does not contain caffeine. Just make sure that you're buying pure rooibos tea though, since many people mix herbs to make teas and you might end up drinking something you shouldn't be. Just ask to see ingredients - usually it's a short list for teas. Personally, I buy loose leaf organic rooibos from David's Tea http://www.davidstea.com/our-teas/rooibos/organic-rooibos You can get little disposable, biodegradable individual-use bags for them there too.

#13 of 22 Old 10-09-2012, 02:50 PM

Here is the mother of all RRLT threads: 

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/347728/red-raspberry-leaf-tea-tribe

It should be said that nothing on the forums should replace you looking up some of this stuff in a good herbal book and/or talking to your MW. I've seen some seriously incorrect advice given in my years, yk? 

#14 of 22 Old 10-10-2012, 07:12 PM

Starbucks used to use the Swiss Water method, but they stopped doing that back in 2009.

#15 of 22 Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone! I had a nice Rooibos tea today -- I used to drink it a lot when I was in grad school on the east coast and freezing! :) So yummy. So Rooibos safe in 1st trimester it seems, yes? What's up with Starbucks no longer using this safer method for making coffee decaf? What a shame!

#16 of 22 Old 10-11-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks, everyone! I had a nice Rooibos tea today -- I used to drink it a lot when I was in grad school on the east coast and freezing! :) So yummy. So Rooibos safe in 1st trimester it seems, yes? What's up with Starbucks no longer using this safer method for making coffee decaf? What a shame!

I've been drinking it throughout my pregnancy (one every couple of days) and my little girl is a thriving, healthy little thing :)

If you're feeling unsure then you should obviously contact your midwife or doctor about it, but all the information I've read encourages rooibos during pregnancy because of the reasons I listed.

#17 of 22 Old 10-13-2012, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my goodness, loving Rooibos! Thanks, Teles!

#18 of 22 Old 10-19-2012, 09:27 AM

I drink 1-2 cups of regular dark roast coffee throughout pregnancy. I am 12 weeks in with my third baby and have never had any issues with this. 

Good luck! 

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#19 of 22 Old 10-19-2012, 01:21 PM

I quit all caffeine for my first 3 pregnancies, except for a little tea on occasion. For my fourth I drank 2 and sometimes 3 big cups a day, telling myself studies showed it was okay, and then miscarried at ~5wks.  May have been just a coincidence, or perhaps I could stomach it because my hormones weren't high enough or something, but for my next pregnancy (my 4th child, 5th preg) I couldn't even stomach the smell of coffee a week before I even tested positive.  The same thing happened this pregnancy, I completely lost my taste for it but I am drinking a glass or two of hot tea..  I just can't seem to function without a little bit (I went off caffeine cold turkey in the beginning and got terrible headaches).    I'm slowly weaning myself down to none, reading studies about caffeine affecting fetal brain oxygenation (in sheep studies) and being linked (in high consumption) to heart defects and SIDS in humans is enough evidence that it isn't good for the baby, it is just hard to go off quickly!

I know many people who didn't quit and their babies were perfectly healthy, but knowing that, continuing to drink it doesn't sit well with me personally.

#20 of 22 Old 10-19-2012, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I second the rooibos.

I've always heard it's okay to have one cup of caffeine a day but I gave it up when I was ttc just to be safe. I'm a BIG coffee drinker so I treated myself to a good decaf from grounds for change. It's pricy but soooooo good. It's a natural decaf process. 

That said, I highly doubt it would hurt to have a cup of decaf from Starbucks or a regular cup of caffeinated once in a while, especially after the first trimester. 

mama to three little ladies
#21 of 22 Old 10-19-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

I'll have to look into 'grounds for change' - sounds like the ticket! Loving the Rooibos though, and really I just like to have a warm beverage in the morning (and sometimes the afternoon). I'll calm down a bit probably after the first trimester, or maybe I"ll just keep it up. My monthly Starbucks tab is definitely lower. Extra savings = extra cute baby clothes!

#22 of 22 Old 10-20-2012, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Red raspberry strengthens the uterus/female system. It's highly unlikely that it's going to cause preterm labor.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page